Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2015 3:09:57 PM EDT
So I partoke in salad days and bought a mossy ar for $500 bucks about a year ago. They dont really list the specs so I emailed Mossberg ressently because I was curious. Here is the response I got

Thank you for your e-mail. Please see below.
The gun is compatible with most “mil-spec” aftermarket components, the Major components are manufactured by Mossberg and or exclusive Mossberg vendors in the USA
The receiver (I think he means bolt) is manufactured from Carpenter 158 steel and is shot peened in a fixture , the bolt and barrel are 100%high pressure tested (HPT) with military M197 or SAMMI equivalent proof ammunition and 100% Magnetic Particle Inspected (MPI), rejection criteria is cracks and inclusions.

The barrel is manufactured from AISI 4140  carbon alloy steel, the barrel is 16-1/4” long and free floated , is chambered for 5.56 NATO and compatible with .223 Rem ammunition , the rifling is button broached wit 6 grooves at a 1:9 RH Twist, the muzzle is threaded with a standard 1/2” x 28” and is fitted with  a removeable A2 style muzzle brake not a flash suppressor.
View Quote

Mossberg claims the barrel and bolt are MPI/HPT, yet neither are marked as such.

Are all bolts and barrels that go through MPI/HPT marked, is this odd?

I also read on another forum Mossbergs response to someones inquiry about the specs and they also claimed it was MPI/HPT

Some other things that bother me about the rifle is the non chrome lined barrel, no forward assist, unshrouded firing pin, 6061 buffer tube... But hey it was $500 bucks
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 3:12:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Now look what $500 bucks will get ya!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top