Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2015 2:33:20 PM EDT
Looking for 100% deet in an aerosol...  Not this stuff.... It's good stuff, but it's not really convenient to dispense.

Base case scenario, I find it by the gallon so I can throw it in the weed sprayer to douse myself down with.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:44:48 PM EDT
[#1]

OP after he finds a 55-gal. drum of the stuff and builds a shower for it

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:46:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Bens 100: Insect Repellent Spray Pump ..... AMAZON
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:46:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Seriously, is not deep woods off good enough?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:46:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Above about 35% (IIRC) DEET concentration, it doesn't really help.

I remember reading an article a while back that referenced a study on this. I'll have to see if I can find it.

EDIT: I think it just increases the amount of time you have between re-application, is all.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:47:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bens 100: Insect Repellent Spray Pump ..... AMAZON
View Quote

I've got the Ben's wipes and they work great.  They are only 30% deet however.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:57:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Cabela's bug suit.  Had mine for about 4 years now.  Don't have to buy repellent anymore.  They can't bite you and you don't need repellant.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#7]
3m ultrathon lotion. you only think deet 100 is the good stuff. That and permethrin.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#8]
It's not a spray, but Indian people use ODOMOS.

It works amazing. Ever seen an Indian with a bug bite? Exactly.

http://www.amazon.com/Dabur-Advanced-Odomos-Mosquito-Repellent/dp/B00K1890S4
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 3:00:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Cabela's bug suit.  Had mine for about 4 years now.  Don't have to buy repellent anymore.  They can't bite you and you don't need repellant.
View Quote

I'd rather not have the mosquitoes hovering around me, either. You ever breathed in a mosquito on the intake of breath right before a sneeze, and then sneezed out a mosquito?

Fuck that noise.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 3:01:03 PM EDT
[#10]
They say 100% deet is unnecessary but the ONLY thing that would keep the Black flies away in the Adirondacks was 100% deet.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 3:01:07 PM EDT
[#11]
find and old farmer... DDT  
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 3:03:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm sure most will bitch but I have had good luck with making my own using sweet almond oil, witch hazel, essential oils and a splash of vodka. Cheap, smells good and non-toxic; there are a number of 'recipes' out there but I've found that you want to increase the amount of oil used by 25% for really determined bugs.

The CDC has recently put out that *some* EO (Eucalyptus, Lemongrass, Lavender, Citronella, Mint and Rosemary,) are as effective as Deet.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 3:04:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Walmart carries Coleman branded 100% spray in a pump bottle.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 3:06:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

Fuck that

Skin So Soft is Tier 1, IMO.

Permerthin soak your cloths, hit your neck with skin so soft, and enjoy a tick and skeeter free existence.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 3:08:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Above about 35% (IIRC) DEET concentration, it doesn't really help...
View Quote

What he said.

Anyone ever used those Thermacell gizmos? I have a friend who swears by them, so I just bought one. Haven't tried it out yet, though. Online reviews seem either very positive or very negative.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 3:10:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Deep woods it's my go to, but I will usually bring a tiny bottle of 100% deet just in case. I've had to use it on a few occasions when hiking.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 3:11:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Thermacell is great for bow hunting, as long as there is no breeze.  

I also read that the higher DEET percentage increases its duration rather than effectiveness.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 3:11:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What he said.

Anyone ever used those Thermacell gizmos? I have a friend who swears by them, so I just bought one. Haven't tried it out yet, though. Online reviews seem either very positive or very negative.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he said.

I love mine. If you are staying put, it's great. If you are moving around, not as good.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 4:27:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I love mine. If you are staying put, it's great. If you are moving around, not as good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he said.

I've used them in the UP where they're as thick as can be---doesn't come close to cutting it in extreme conditions
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 4:42:33 PM EDT
[#20]
REPEL brand Sportsman MAX. 40% deet. Only thing that works for me and I've tried most. Also good for ticks and chiggers. Comes in wipes, pump or spray.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 4:48:04 PM EDT
[#21]
The 35-40% stuff is fine for the backyard but doesn't last for shit in the bottoms and swampy areas in the humidity around here.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 4:57:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

REPEL brand Sportsman MAX. 40% deet. Only thing that works for me and I've tried most. Also good for ticks and chiggers. Comes in wipes, pump or spray.
View Quote

this is what I use too.

get it at wally.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 4:59:52 PM EDT
[#23]
I hear this shit works, is odorless, and will still be on your clothes after six washes.  Haven't tried it yet though.  http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-Permethrin-Clothing-Repellent/dp/B001ANQVYU/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434142911&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=permanome
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 4:59:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What he said.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he said.

They work ok out in the open, but they are really great in a blind or other enclosed area.  I've found that treating my clothing, footwear, and a hat with a permethrin spray does a great job regardless of where I'm at.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:01:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I use bens 100% and never had any bites
Works better then OFF deepwoods
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top