Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2015 2:22:44 PM EDT
Thinking of picking up a box of these

Freedom munitions link

Any benefit? Any negatives?

Going to be using it for range fun in new 1911..
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:23:36 PM EDT
[#1]
They punch nice clean holes in paper targets
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Grab 230 ball

Or 200 SWC

As posted it will cut a little cleaner, but not like SWC will. They leave huge perfectly circular holes in paper. This helps out in competitions. You can actually see the holes 15 to 20 yards out with SWCs
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:28:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

It's the same price as the RN.

Just curious if there were any pros or cons to flat point over round nose..

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:29:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Back in my day, we just called them semi-wadcutters.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:31:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:31:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe a good way to simulate standard defensive ammunition without breaking your wallet. If it won't feed the flat-point consistently, then you're probably going to have problems with hollow-point.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:35:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Maybe a good way to simulate standard defensive ammunition without breaking your wallet. If it won't feed the flat-point consistently, then you're probably going to have problems with hollow-point.
View Quote

My Taurus won't feed hollow pints at all. I've run flat and round nosed through it without problems though.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:35:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Back in my day, we just called them semi-wadcutters.
View Quote

Those don't even have the sharp lip around the edge of a proper semi-wadcutter. They are purely ball ammo with a flat tip.

I think Speer makes Lawman like that for practice, or for heavier bullets that still make OAL.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:36:47 PM EDT
[#9]
From a terminal ballistics standpoint, it tends to "cut" flesh more effectively than roundball, and leaves a bigger permanent cavity.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:38:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Round nose will feed better
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:39:43 PM EDT
[#11]
They will do better against flesh than round-nose, since they cut rather than push flesh aside.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:48:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
From a terminal ballistics standpoint, it tends to "cut" flesh more effectively than roundball, and leaves a bigger permanent cavity.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:51:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They will do better against flesh than round-nose, since they cut rather than push flesh aside.
View Quote

OP, do a little research and buy some genuine cast SWC's from a Hensley & Gibbs #68 mold.

These were classic target loads and a lot of 1911 royalty such as Askins, Cooper, Skelton and Keith used and recommended them.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 3:02:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Meplats cut meat.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 3:14:08 PM EDT
[#15]
They can be loaded into tubular magazines (e.g., on a lever action rifle) without fear that a pointed bullet will set off the primer in front of it when the gun recoils.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 3:16:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

They can be loaded into tubular magazines (e.g., on a lever action rifle) without fear that a pointed bullet will set off the primer in front of it when the gun recoils.
View Quote
I have several boxes of this stuff in 44mag that I thought i would use hunting deer this year in my lever gun. Was curious if it would perform as well as hollow point ammo would.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 3:20:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Grab 230 ball

Or 200 SWC

As posted it will cut a little cleaner, but not like SWC will. They leave huge perfectly circular holes in paper. This helps out in competitions. You can actually see the holes 15 to 20 yards out with SWCs
View Quote

+1.  This.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 3:33:42 PM EDT
[#18]
I am of the OPINION that in competition, shooting an MGM spinner, that FN are more effective than RN of the same projectile weight.  Maybe it's the greater surface area upon impact?  I have no real data to back up this opinion.  

I am not a scientist.

SCIENCE!

ETA:  I shoot X-Treme Bullets 135g FN Copper Plated over 4.0g Titegroup with CCI #500 Primers
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 3:36:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

My g19 hates flat point and has failures nonstop with it. It eats hollowpoints with no problem.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 3:38:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 3:56:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Needs moar surface area.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 3:58:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:00:20 PM EDT
[#23]
maybe its a better mouse trap for feed issues? They look like .40cal FMJ's which I think were truncated like that to assist with feeding.

J-
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:06:50 PM EDT
[#24]
I'd rather shoot RN.

That being said I typically shoot at a rack of falling plates. It seems the FP knock down plates better in 9mm. The plates are heavy enough 9mm has a problem knocking them down.

I have shot quite a bit of Freedom Munitions ammo and I have had more than a few duds. Bad primers it seems.

Just a heads up.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:07:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have several boxes of this stuff in 44mag that I thought i would use hunting deer this year in my lever gun. Was curious if it would perform as well as hollow point ammo would.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That depends.

With a lung shot, the hollow points will kill faster.

Where the flat nose bullet excels is in breaking bone.

I've used .45 LBT design bullets to take a couple of Roosevelt elk, and breaking the shoulder(s) is the preferable shot there.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:09:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That depends.

I've used .45 LBT design bullets to take a couple of Roosevelt elk, and breaking the shoulder(s) is the preferable shot there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That depends.

This.

+

SWC's make cleaner holes on target.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
maybe its a better mouse trap for feed issues? They look like .40cal FMJ's which I think were truncated like that to assist with feeding.

J-
View Quote

FWIW, my CZs will not feed TC .40 worth a shit. I have to run rounder profiles - used MGB for a long time, but switched a year or so ago to Frontier (when the Montanas were hard to get and pricey).
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:15:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

My Taurus won't feed hollow points at all. I've run flat and round nosed through it without problems though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Taurus won't feed hollow points at all. I've run flat and round nosed through it without problems though.

Have you tried golden sabres?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top