Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2015 12:53:16 PM EDT
Was thinking about this last night so I started going through my genealogy records and with all this Confederate flag talk I thought some of you would find this interesting.

My great-great-grandfather, James Baxley, served in the 11th Georgia volunteer infantry.  Out of his father and 3 brothers, he was the only one to make it home after the war. His oldest brother John died of smallpox in Jan 1863 while serving as an army doctor. William and Joseph both served with James in the 11th. William survived the Battle of Gettysburg where the 11th suffered 65% casualties only to be killed 7 days later at the Battle of Funkstown. Joseph died from pneumonia in Jan 1865 as a POW. James's father, Aaron, enlisted in the 4th Georgia state militia in 1864 and was mortally wounded at the Battle of Griswoldville.    

Anyone else have family there in 1863
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:11:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:10:06 PM EDT
[#2]
An ancestor on my paternal grandmother's side was a member of Hood's Texas Brigade.

He was KIA at Antietam.    

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:23:28 PM EDT
[#3]
50th GA (Semmes Brigade) in the Peach Orchard
17th & 20th GA (Benning's Brigade) in the Devil's Den
31st GA (Thomas Brigade) on the 3rd day supporting the charge

All of them made it through Gettysburg and made it home (some wounds along the way).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top