Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2015 10:52:37 AM EDT
First lets define recoil, because I think most people confuse recoil with muzzle flip or slide action. As its been defined to me, recoil is the initial shock your hand feels the moment the round ignites. Similar to striking a concrete pole with an aluminum bat. You know how that hurts like hell???

Took my new USP45t to the range and fired close to 100rds. The remainder of that 100rds was through my 1911 for comparison because I've never fired a plastic 45. I've heard the usp is great for 45 because its a large gun, and plastic, so it can absorb all that recoil. That's not at all what I experienced. A few rounds in, every round afterwards was sharp and stung a bit. Not like I had to wring my hands out, but it was very noticeable. The 1911 otoh just rolled and virtually no recoil, as usual.

The usp was fired suppressed and unsuppressed. Ammo was 230gn.

I know weight has a lot to do with it, and proper grip. The 1911 is 41ozs, the usp45 is 31ozs. I'm considering trading the usp for a p220 scorpionTB at the lgs, but I noticed the p220 and the usp45 are the same weight. The usp is big for my hands, I only noticed that while firing. At home you can fool yourself into thinking a grip is OK till you shoot it. I know for a fact the p220 sits well in my hand while firing.

So the question is: because the p220 fits my hand well both at home and during live fire, even though they weight the same, will the p220 feel better shooting (recoil wise) than the usp45? I use to own a p220 so I don't have one to compare at the range, but I never remembered it feeling like this usp shot after shot.

ETA: I landed every round out of the usp into the x ring of a silhouette at 8yds. It is an accurate gun.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:54:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Why are you still shooting .45 ACP?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:56:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

1. He's a man.
2. He's not a .40 fag.
3. It wins world wars.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:56:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

He's got truth, justice, and the American way on his side?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:57:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Its great to suppress. I can buy ammo over the counter, dont have to roll my own or search for special weight ammo like with 9mm.

ETA: and what everyone else above said
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:57:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

1. He's a man.
2. He's not a .40 fag.
3. It wins world wars.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. He's a man.
2. He's not a .40 fag.
3. It wins world wars.

That works too.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I have shot dozens of .45s. P220s, 1911s, FNs, HKs, XDs and Glocks.

I have never noticed and difference in recoil between any of them.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:59:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cause 'Merica!!
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:04:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I have four 1911's in .45acp.
Two of them are steel frame (one each full size and compact size), and two of them are aluminum alloy frame (one each full size and compact size).

In order of how well I can shoot each one:

Full size steel

Full size alloy

compact steel

compact alloy

For me, the extra weight of the pistol does help me for quicker follow up shots.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:06:34 AM EDT
[#9]
If you are having difficulty with recoil in a .45 ACP  in a full sized handgun, you need to look at your shooting style.  At least you are not having problems with grouping.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:08:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I think you're just not used to the grip of the USP.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:11:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Maybe it's the grip design of the USP?  Dat teutonic tupperware, yo.  

FNX-45 Tactical weighs in around 33oz unloaded and I don't feel it is harsher compared to a 1911 at 39oz.  If anything, the FNX is softer shooting.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:15:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think you're just not used to the grip of the USP.
View Quote

That, or it's too big for you.

A poorly fitting gun can feel like hell.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:18:01 AM EDT
[#13]
I find my FN FNX 45T to be even softer than 1911s. I'm sure different polymers from different manufacturers do behave differently. But the FNX feels like a lot of what's going on is absorbed in the frame, and that's not a bad thing, you can feel what's going on. It is a little strange though.

The only USP I have ever shot was in .40 and I didn't like it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:18:35 AM EDT
[#14]
I had an XD-45 and found the recoil much sharper than a full size 1911, more than I expected.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:33:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nostalgia?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:56:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I still shoot mine because I have not sold it yet.  I want a 10mm to replace it with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top