Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2015 8:47:52 PM EDT
I had an unusual experience at the doctor's today. Had a 1:00 appt with my endocrinologist. At 1:45, I went up to the desk to advise I have to reschedule as I have another appointment that I am going to be late for

Advised I did not think it fair that they expect me to be on time, yet can keep me waiting (was told Doc would probably be another 30 minutes as she likes to take her time with patients) I then asked for a refund for my co-payment. I rescheduled for 7/13 and left.

5 minutes later my cell rings and a snippy voice says (it is one of the nurses) "I understand you just walked out of your appointment." I replied that I did not walk out, but rather rescheduled as I could not continue to wait.

Her response: "You have Graves Disease and must be on medicine."

Ummmm.......this is the first time I have heard that I have Graves Disease and am told so over the phone by a snippy nurse? can you say UNPROFESSIONAL????? and can you tell I am STILL pissy?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:54:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Always try to be the first appointment
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:03:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Can they give you that kind of information over the phone? What if the person answering the phone really wasn't you?

And this is why I generally avoid the doctor even though I know I should go.  Long wait time, disrespectful people, ridiculous fees
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:14:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can they give you that kind of information over the phone? What if the person answering the phone really wasn't you?  

And this is why I generally avoid the doctor even though I know I should go.  Long wait time, disrespectful people, ridiculous fees
View Quote

Sometimes they get caught up at meetings, have difficult surgeries, etc. I wouldn't hold against him. If it happens often, I'd find a new doc.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:17:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I realize doctors have an important job and highly specialized training, but I'm just about sick and tired of being treated like they're doing me a favor just by showing up to do their jobs.  I try to be understanding, show up early, etc etc but it's gotten really bad lately. They must be all butthurt over Obamacare.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:20:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Sometimes they get caught up at meetings, have difficult surgeries, etc. I wouldn't hold against him. If it happens often, I'd find a new doc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They actually schedule meetings, go operate, take a 45 minute Shit, read the newspaper, etc because they know you will wait and don't give a fuck about your time.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:21:31 PM EDT
[#6]
The doc probably gets 15 minutes a patient, they are bound to run late. Are you in the UVA system? I know a lot of docs around here left their practices when UVA took over, because they had to see more patients in less time.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:25:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They actually schedule meetings, go operate, take a 45 minute Shit, read the newspaper, etc because they know you will wait and don't give a fuck about your time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They make money by seeing patients. When they are in meetings and taking 45 minute shits, they are not producing. Production=Collections=Take home pay
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:31:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The doc probably gets 15 minutes a patient, they are bound to run late. Are you in the UVA system? I know a lot of docs around here left their practices when UVA took over, because they had to see more patients in less time.
View Quote

No---I am in NoVa....

I understand the Doc running late on occasion.....but was told by the receptionist that she likes to take her time with patients and was running behind cause she spent 90 minutes with a earlier patient.  I can appreciate that----but it is not fair to the other patients either.

My complaint is that a nurse told me I had Graves Disease over the phone without any preamble; I do not feel that was within her responsibilities to announce such over the phone  to me.  (I don't even know if it was a nurse---it could have just been a receptionist for all I know (I jut know it was not the doctor).
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:33:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I wait 15 mins.  Then i walk out.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:12:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I had an 8:00 am appointment and had to wait 30 minutes. When I mentioned it the Doc said 'You don't understand working with people'.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:14:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or the last
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:15:33 PM EDT
[#12]
You'd think they'd appreciate it when a patient could reschedule on busy days.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:28:13 PM EDT
[#13]
The institution I work for mandates that we see all patients regardless of when they show up. (I don't even know why we scheduled appointments to be honest)
This means that if my 1pm shows up at 3:30pm I am obligated to see them.

It's bullshit, I hate running late and making every subsequent patient appointment late so I usually make them wait till 5:30pm and see them last. This typically ruins my day but at least my other patients are happy.

Also remember that 90% of the work your physician does occurs outside of the exam room.  
Usually we take care of sick patients inside the hospital while seeing patients in our clinics simultaneously (this is getting phased out).
Unlike lawyers,  we don't get paid for making phone calls, writing letters, mailing letters, obtaining records, reviewing films, doing paperwork etc, and this is the shit we do between office visits, early in the morning, and after clinic hours.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:30:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You'd think they'd appreciate it when a patient could reschedule on busy days.
View Quote

We do. We actually encourage it.
Unfortunately, the FSA usually demand to be seen despite being late and ruining the day for everyone.
Also, there is a liability in rescheduling someone who is ill (even if they are a non compliant freeloading POS) so some institutions have policies that if you are show up you get seen.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:43:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, If you could walk for a day in my shoes.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:46:30 PM EDT
[#16]
This is why I leave very large windows between appointments.  Shit happens, it may happen to you or it may happen to the person you have that appointment with, but shit can and will happen.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:48:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Then you got the patients who come in for problem A, and then say "oh while I'm here, what do you think about problem B, C, D, etc..." 60 min later...
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:52:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No---I am in NoVa....

I understand the Doc running late on occasion.....but was told by the receptionist that she likes to take her time with patients and was running behind cause she spent 90 minutes with a earlier patient.  I can appreciate that----but it is not fair to the other patients either.

My complaint is that a nurse told me I had Graves Disease over the phone without any preamble; I do not feel that was within her responsibilities to announce such over the phone  to me.  (I don't even know if it was a nurse---it could have just been a receptionist for all I know (I jut know it was not the doctor).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No---I am in NoVa....

And yet you're OK with announcing it to anybody with access to Google?

It sounds to me that you were just looking for an excuse to be pissy after your long wait at the doctor's office.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:57:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL!  Some days I wish I had 5 minutes to take a shit in peace without my pager or phone going off
:( or to be able to eat lunch without charting so I don't get behind
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:59:40 PM EDT
[#20]
In a few years, waiting an hour or two to see a physician will have been 'the good ol days'.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:03:47 PM EDT
[#21]
A doctor is never late. He arrives precisely when he means to.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:06:04 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I had an unusual experience at the doctor's today. Had a 1:00 appt with my endocrinologist. At 1:45, I went up to the desk to advise I have to reschedule as I have another appointment that I am going to be late for

Advised I did not think it fair that they expect me to be on time, yet can keep me waiting (was told Doc would probably be another 30 minutes as she likes to take her time with patients) I then asked for a refund for my co-payment. I rescheduled for 7/13 and left.

5 minutes later my cell rings and a snippy voice says (it is one of the nurses) "I understand you just walked out of your appointment." I replied that I did not walk out, but rather rescheduled as I could not continue to wait.

Her response: "You have Graves Disease and must be on medicine."

Ummmm.......this is the first time I have heard that I have Graves Disease and am told so over the phone by a snippy nurse? can you say UNPROFESSIONAL????? and can you tell I am STILL pissy?
View Quote

I am sorry to hear about your Graves disease diagnosis.  

And I am sorry to hear about your lousy experience.  It won't do any good to find another doctor.  Seems like all physicians offices are like that nowadays.  

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:09:02 PM EDT
[#23]
You can't be that private of a person, if you are boasting about your dis ease in GD.

I would have gotten tough with the nurses.  They like that and will respect you for it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:12:33 PM EDT
[#24]

I had Graves disease - it's manageable...when it's all done and over with, you will probably end up with a lifelong prescription for Syntroid.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:11:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Good doctors can't plan how long they must spend with each patient anymore than the patients can plan on not getting sick.

Some patients will need more time and a good doctor will give it to them.

Some patients need less time.

So, a smart person seeks good doctors who are willing to spend the time necessary to do the job properly over doctors who cut short on patients who need the time.  Smart people also don't schedule other appointments when they know they have a doctor's appointment or if they do, they alot a couple extra hours between the appointments.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:28:10 AM EDT
[#26]
I can sympathize with you. My wife starts a new job as our family doctor's new nurse on Monday. One perk is all of my family doctor visits will be free now. I won't mind waiting a little longer. The doctor is very thorough with each patient and a little slow getting from patient to patient but she actually cares about her patients and that's why we chose her to be our doctor. I've had to wait 45 minutes before for a walk in where a child was very sick who had to be transported to the ER. I was upset about the waiting until the doc explained why the child took priority.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:28:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No---I am in NoVa....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No---I am in NoVa....

The obvious response is "Since the doc already knows this, and you;ve done his job of telling me, there's no reason for an office visit.  Just send the script to my pharmacy.  I can read the directions."
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:36:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Echo this, I have a 9:00 appointment, not first, but as early as I could get.  Later in the day it just stacks up...

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:41:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Just wait for the dems and rinos to introduce the "Obamacare isn't fucking over American healthcare as bad as we want act.". They will add the Domino's appointment law that brings the 30 minutes or it is free, guarantee to doctor's appointments.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:56:43 AM EDT
[#30]
They do not care about you. Just how many cattle they can move in a day.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:59:57 AM EDT
[#31]
I wait 30 min max then walk.   Thank goodness I don't go but every few years.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:00:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Old Fart's rule #829(B): Schedule appointments first thing in the morning. If you live where it snows a lot, go for 10:00 during the winter months.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:02:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Bill them for a no-show.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:04:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
They do not care about you. Just how many cattle they can move in a day.
View Quote

Doctors don't like running late any more than you do.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:05:22 PM EDT
[#35]
I walked on an apt once. I waited 45 min and then asked when will I be seen. I was told the doc is always late, he will see you when he is ready. I canxed my apt then they still tried to bill Tricare. I told Tricare what happened and they wouldn't pay it.

I didn't want to see that doc anyways as he fucked up my knee surgery and miss diagnosed me but the docs here wanted me to see the same doc

ETA: The best was when I had an apt for my son, it was for 8am. We show up and then get taken back, 30 min later I ask where the doc is and they said he doesn't show up until 845 or 9 normally.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:07:15 PM EDT
[#36]
I know of someone that sued a doctor for being late and won.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:09:45 PM EDT
[#37]
A good doctor with a shitty staff might as well be a shitty doctor.

Sucks that every trend in medicine today seems to lead back to shittier organization and shittier office staff, but I will keep firing doctors whose practices can't handle it until I run out of doctors.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top