Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2015 5:10:47 PM EDT
I'm looking for a cheap upgrade for my old Maglite flashlights.  Around 150 lumens, preferably more.  

Most of the LED replacement bulbs are $15+ -- that seems too expensive.  There has to be a cheap Chicom upgrade available somewhere...
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:14:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm looking for a cheap upgrade for my old Maglite flashlights.  Around 150 lumens, preferably more.  
Most of the LED replacement bulbs are $15+ -- that seems too expensive.  There has to be a cheap Chicom upgrade available somewhere...
View Quote

Malkoff.  Oh wait, you said cheap.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:16:47 PM EDT
[#2]
15$ for a bulb that will never burn out, never get broke due to impact, has a great color and is 5x brighter than the pos halogen bulb.. and that too expensive?

WTF
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:18:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Rapid2you ltd off ebay
Cree xp-g2 220 lumens.
I think it was 16 dollars with shipping.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:19:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
15$ for a bulb that will never burn out, never get broke due to impact, has a great color and is 5x brighter than the pos halogen bulb.. and that too expensive?

WTF
View Quote

I popped for the $15.00 to covert my wife's flashlight.
Much better than spending $100.00  + dollars for a new surefire.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:21:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

TerraLux MiniStar 5s for my two 6D MLs and some cheaper NiteEyz 3 LED heads for the MiniMags.

The 5s were about $17 shipped and if that's too much, spend the money on better flashlights.

You can still focus the 6Ds with the TerraLux installed.

Chris
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:32:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Harbor Freight has some $9 upgrades.   But that means I'll have to get off my bum, drive 10-12 miles, and then discover that they're out of stock.  

http://www.harborfreight.com/led-upgrade-for-c-and-d-cell-flashlights-65639.html
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:35:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:41:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm no expert, but from reading here, and sometimes acting on his posted advice, I'm OK with listening to Chris' advice.  YMMV. He's never given me a bad steer, or anyone else, as far as I know.
View Quote

I'm a little nerdy on this stuff, but I also can't throw working items away, no matter how 'obsolete' they might be.

My LED modules have about the same brightness as the Krypton bulbs in my 6Ds--140LM, but they're much, much more efficient and don't run down those six D batteries in a few hours, so while the tint moves to white/purple, from yellow, you do make them more efficient than they'd be with the Krypton bulbs installed.

They're my loaner lights, if I have the batteries at the time, so they serve a purpose for not a lot.  If $15+ is too much to spend in upgrades for a person, there are, as you know, much better choices out there.

Chris
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:44:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

WTF
View Quote

When you can buy an entire new Maglite LED flashlight for $25, I can understand thinking $15 for just a bulb is a bit high.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:45:20 PM EDT
[#11]
What I really wish someone would make would be a miniaturized "pack" consisting of an LED bulb and a couple of 123a batteries, that occupies just the very front part of a D cell Maglite.... Leaving the rest of the tube free to house an integrally suppressed "zip-gun" type firearm.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:48:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

No offense intended, but I would be astounded if these units were worth a damn.  I speak as  HF customer of long standing.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Harbor Freight has some $9 upgrades.   But that means I'll have to get off my bum, drive 10-12 miles, and then discover that they're out of stock.  

http://www.harborfreight.com/led-upgrade-for-c-and-d-cell-flashlights-65639.html

No offense intended, but I would be astounded if these units were worth a damn.  I speak as  HF customer of long standing.

You wouldn't be surprised if you'd read the reviews.  All five star reviews, except for one guy that complained that the units wouldn't work with his six cell flashlight.  

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:52:47 PM EDT
[#13]
OP, how many Hi-Points do you own?

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:21:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
None.  LOL.  

I have some nice flashlights that are 20+ years old.  Buy once, cry once.  

Rather than replace the whole flashlight, I want to swap out the bulb, and use my flashlights for another 20+ years.  

If 100+ lumen flashlights are selling for $3, someone has to be selling P13.5S bulbs around that price.  

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:40:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Rapid2you ltd off ebay

Cree xp-g2 220 lumens.

I think it was 16 dollars with shipping.
View Quote

Thanks!  Ordered for my 4D.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:46:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
None.  LOL.  

Rather than replace the whole flashlight, I want to swap out the bulb, and use my flashlights for another 20+ years.  

If 100+ lumen flashlights are selling for $3, someone has to be selling P13.5S bulbs around that price.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

None.  LOL.  

You can't say, "Buy once cry once" and then talk about $3 POS flashlights from China.

If you're about buy once cry once get a malkoff conversion for the maglite for $40, it's far better than tarralux, it's brighter, longer run time, regulated, and has a heat sink. Think of it as a $40 light as the cost of the maglite is a sunk cost at this point.

Or

Get a new flashlight for $30-50

Or

For $15 get the tarralux as it's a great bang for the buck and keeps the maglite running.

That is if you believe in buy once cry once... Otherwise get the $3 light from China.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:05:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:18:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I've looked and never seen anything cheap.
Just get new flashlights

I actually just ordered an led drop in for my old sure fire G2 the other day...$11.

Speed
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:21:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Does anybody make an LED upgrade for my trusty old green gooseneck flashlight?

That thing keeps on working, and more importantly, keeps on being in a place where I can find it. Lumens abound in a dozen other flashlights I own, but they mean jack shit when I can't lay hands on one before heading into the back yard. The angle headed plastic fantastic sits quietly on the mantle by the back door, unassuming and simplistic.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:21:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I second the Terralux replacement bulbs. I have a few, and no complaints. They're brighter and the batteries last longer. I've beat the shit out of my truck flashlight and it's still going strong.

$17 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001I9TI4Q?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:33:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Home Depot sells some Rayovac brand LED flashlights that are waterproof and use 2 AA batteries. Flashlight technology has come a long long way. After buying and using a couple of these. I can't justify the price on the Surefires.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:51:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Home Depot sells some Rayovac brand LED flashlights that are waterproof and use 2 AA batteries. Flashlight technology has come a long long way. After buying and using a couple of these. I can't justify the price on the Surefires.
View Quote
It's crazy.

I bought a $10 coast 1xAA flashlight. It puts out 92 lumens on an alkaline and 220 on a lithium battery.

I spent almost $100 years ago to make my 2xCR123 Surefire go over 100 lumens...and that was quite the flashlight at the time

Speed
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top