Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 6/30/2015 10:22:56 AM EDT
Don’t get me wrong, video games are cool…fun to play, and great if I want to relax and burn up a little time.  I’d say I mess around with my Playstation maybe 2-3 hours a month or so.  

I was reading a thread the other day on ARFCOM about gaming consoles and there were lots of guys on there talking about how they can play or 4-6 hours at a time, and the processor still stays cool in their gaming console.  What!!??  4-6 hours every day/night in front of the TV just spent gaming?  How do those guys do it?  Do they all live in their parents basements, or in apartments with no responsibilities at all?  I’m assuming that they are all either single, or have wife’s that just don’t care that their husbands are glued in front of the TV for that long every night?  6 hours?  That’s almost a full shift at work!  

If I stayed parked in front of the TV gaming for 4-6 hours every night……my place would look like a total wreck, I would be 300lbs and pale as hell, and my wife would divorce me.  

Where do people find the time to “game” 4-6 hours at a time every day? Talk about being physically inactive! To each their own I guess……
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:30:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Most gamers I know that play that much are young and single and they don't watch tv.  The only time I'd be able to play for 4 hours would be later in the evening when the family is busy doing their own thing and I need a break from all other work.  ie It only happens once every 3-4 months.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:32:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Don’t get me wrong, video games are cool…fun to play, and great if I want to relax and burn up a little time.  I’d say I mess around with my Playstation maybe 2-3 hours a month or so.  

I was reading a thread the other day on ARFCOM about gaming consoles and there were lots of guys on there talking about how they can play or 4-6 hours at a time, and the processor still stays cool in their gaming console.  What!!??  4-6 hours every day/night in front of the TV just spent gaming?  How do those guys do it?  Do they all live in their parents basements, or in apartments with no responsibilities at all?  I’m assuming that they are all either single, or have wife’s that just don’t care that their husbands are glued in front of the TV for that long every night?  6 hours?  That’s almost a full shift at work!  

If I stayed parked in front of the TV gaming for 4-6 hours every night……my place would look like a total wreck, I would be 300lbs and pale as hell, and my wife would divorce me.  

Where do people find the time to “game” 4-6 hours at a time every day? Talk about being physically inactive! To each their own I guess……
View Quote

Don’t get me wrong, web forums are cool…fun to surf, and great if I want to relax and burn up a little time.  I’d say I mess around with arfcom 2-3 hours a month or so.  

I was talking to a friend the other day about forums and there were lots of guys on there talking about how they can post dozens of posts a day What!!??  Dozens of posts every day/night in front of the computer just spent on forums?  How do those guys do it?  Do they all live in their parents basements, or in apartments with no responsibilities at all?  I’m assuming that they are all either single, or have wife’s that just don’t care that their husbands are glued in front of the computer for that long every night?  Dozens of posts?  That’s almost a full shift at work!  

If I stayed parked in front of the computer making dozens of posts a day……my place would look like a total wreck, I would be 300lbs and pale as hell, and my wife would divorce me.  

Where do people find the time to “chat” 4-6 hours at a time every day? Talk about being physically inactive! To each their own I guess……
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:33:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I used to do it. A wife and two kids really put the kibosh on it. I don't have a clue where they find the time either.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:34:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

What you are experiencing and what they are experiencing is called age difference.

I sometimes wish I had the disposable time that I used to have.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:34:26 AM EDT
[#5]
No need to spend more than an hour or two per day with the wife.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:35:30 AM EDT
[#6]
You forget that the average age of the gamer is now well into the 30s. Plenty of people out there like me with things like full time jobs, mortgages and female SOs
How much time do you spend in front of the TV, OP?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:35:37 AM EDT
[#7]
No kids and wife is a start.

When Witcher 3 came out I probably put in 8 hours on it the first day if not more.

I havent played in weeks though.   If work dies off and it is cool enough in the garage I will fire up the projector and play for at least 4 hours.   Binge gaming.

Let's not talk about how much time I spent on BF2 as a kid.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:37:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Not having kids helps.

(not much of a gamer)
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:40:17 AM EDT
[#9]
So being a gamer, I can tell you where they get the time.

No kids
No time for personal hygeine
No time to clean the house
Go  to work, come home, play, eat, play, sleep, wake up, play, go to work.

Some of the crazy ones don't even work, and some are on welfare or live with parents.

Weekend:
Play eat play eat play sleep

Who needs family, holidays, or a social life? All that stuff takes time.

No, most gamers are NOT like this, but the addicted ones are. It can eventually start to ruin your life.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:40:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:41:11 AM EDT
[#11]
I was a huge gammer as a kid.   Bet I have 5 hours in the past 10 years.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:42:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I like video games too, especially some of the older ones, but I never have to time to play unless I am TDY or deployed.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:43:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Oh look, another "hobbies that I don't have are lame and unmanly" thread.  

At least we got to learn that the OP would balloon up like a land whale if he stopped moving.  I guess learning how to eat less is hard for him.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:44:02 AM EDT
[#14]
You make the time if you are a true gamer. Usually taking it out of sleep
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:45:37 AM EDT
[#15]
No kids is the big one.  

Granted I don't play for more than an hour at a time.

When I was in school, there was no way I had the time to do that stuff.  Hell, I worked full time and I had to spend more time in my books (and practicing the practical stuff) than I did working.

Then I graduated, got a couple of good jobs, and have about 6-7 hours every day that are unaccounted for.  Not that hard of a concept.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:47:07 AM EDT
[#16]
I play with my kid most of the time in COD I'm running behind him for protection HAHAH
Nothing really on tv now except for maybe a few shows. No real need to watch the 6 oclock news. Saw most of what they're going to talk about online or got a text or twitter alert for anything major local
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:47:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Pth, light weights..

I was doing a 8hr work day to come home and do a +8hr evening in WoW. Then on the weekends I would get maybe 4hrs sleep.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:48:41 AM EDT
[#18]
no kids
no tv
I stopped smoking so I dont have to go outside for smoke breaks
around 10-16 hrs per week of Sorceror king
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:48:42 AM EDT
[#19]
4-6 Hrs a night they are likely under 25 and have minimal responsibilities.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:48:50 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm too nentally exhausted from work to play usually these days. Built a new system just to play maybe 4 hours a month. lol
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:48:50 AM EDT
[#21]
They say you should avoid playing video game at least an hour prior to when you go to bed to allow your brain to relax so that you can get a good night's sleep.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:50:31 AM EDT
[#22]
It's not just the time but also the money.

Each game costs $60 and the XBOX subscription is another $40 or $50 a year.

Not to mention the system itself.

I suppose it seems like a lot to me because I tend to go big with all my hobbies.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:52:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's not just the time but also the money.

Each game costs $60 and the XBOX subscription is another $40 or $50 a year.

Not to mention the system itself.

I suppose it seems like a lot to me because I tend to go big with all my hobbies.
View Quote

Are you kidding? Video games are cheap compared to a lot of other hobbies.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:52:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
They say you should avoid playing video game at least an hour prior to when you go to bed to allow your brain to relax so that you can get a good night's sleep.
View Quote

The same "they" also say you should avoid computers and TVs for the same reason.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:53:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Single with no kids = lots of free time
Married with a toddler = dusty PlayStation
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:54:28 AM EDT
[#26]
I don't know how we do it....

I just don't know.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:59:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Need to learn to multi-task.  The PS Vita can remote play with your PS4.  Your 10 minute bathroom dumps can turn into 45-60 minutes.

Get the wife involved, but do it slowly.  Start off with an unplugged controller in your bed during sexy time.  Over the span of 3-4 weeks start to bring more items in and before she knows what is going on, she'll be riding you reverse cowgirl while you're ranking up on COD.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:00:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Meh, I've played for hours like that but 1. I have little social whatever when I'm in my hometown vs college (and then it's during the middle of the day/week days) 2. My work schedule is nonexistent, I'm either at work or "on call"ish 3. I'm single as fuck

It's mostly number 3 for those who have forgotten, you have a metric shit load of free time and even extra cash when single
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:04:06 AM EDT
[#29]
The same place people find time to fish or golf or shoot or drink beer. You make time for the things you enjoy doing.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:04:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Even when working regular hours (usually nights, 10-6) I'd make time for gaming. Go to sleep at 0700, get up around 4, eat, play for a few hours, go to work.

Escapism is great. And I dislike most people.

If I wasn't gaming, I was out flying RC planes with friends, which (along with the range) is usually the extent of my social life.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:05:59 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm in my early 40s and when I'm not working 60 hours a week (like now) I just want to sit and veg out with a PC game when I get a second to myself. I have an Xbox One that I have not turned on in months, I have a PS Vita in a drawer somewhere that I haven't used in years and I have an nVidia Shield sitting next to it.

In my younger days I could sit there and play for hours on end, but lately I can manage about an hour, hour and a half at best and then I either go to bed or do something else. Marathon gaming just does not hold the appeal to me that it once did... plus most games I play I tend to get bored with in an hour or so and rather than keep playing I just shut down and come back to it when I feel like it. Honestly most of my "gaming time" these days are tablet games on my ipad. Something I can play for five minutes while sitting in bed before going to sleep.

And just to be that guy I have to say that gaming in general is in a rut right now. Everything is so "same-y". Every game is either a sequel or a clone of something else that came before it... and they are all RIFE with bullshit grindy crap designed only to draw out your playing time artificially with hidden package or loot farming boredom. I suppose that is why I really find myself drawn to the Telltale games... they come out in small bite size releases, the "episodes" only take an hour or so to play, they are all story driven with zero grindy crap and they tend to be pretty fun... for me at least.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:08:45 AM EDT
[#32]
I play 2-3 hours after work and 6-8 hours a day on weekends.
I don't watch sports and I don't hang out with "guy friends" in real life (I have friends I chat & play with while gaming, or we hang out with married friends one or two evenings a month), so I've got a lot of time.

I'm a PC gamer, not a console gamer, so I have a high-end office chair that is extremely comfortable. My wife's happy to watch reality TV or play on her phone for about the same amount of time each day, we're introverted and independent.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:08:47 AM EDT
[#33]
It's all about choices and disposable time.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:11:23 AM EDT
[#34]
I'd play a couple hours a night and on weekends before I went back to school.  I'll get back into the habit when I'm done.  My fiance likes watching my play.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:11:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Before kids, I used to play like 4-5 hours a night.  Wife works thirds.  I would get home from work about 10:15 pm and have the place alone, play video games until like 2-3 a.m.  

Now with kids, I play maybe one or two nights a month when the kids are at their grandparents.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:12:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
So being a gamer, I can tell you where they get the time.

No kids
No time for personal hygeine
No time to clean the house
Go  to work, come home, play, eat, play, sleep, wake up, play, go to work.

Some of the crazy ones don't even work, and some are on welfare or live with parents.

Weekend:
Play eat play eat play sleep

Who needs family, holidays, or a social life? All that stuff takes time.

No, most gamers are NOT like this, but the addicted ones are. It can eventually start to ruin your life.
View Quote

Funny, I found plenty of time for personal hygiene when I was a binge gamer. Wake up, shower, school, work, game, sleep, repeat. Weekends cut out the school part.

Bah.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:12:40 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote

Most live at home or in an apartment provided by their parents.  A few have minimum wage jobs, making just enough to pay their bills and buy a few games.

Most are indeed 300lbs (or well on their way) and are pale as hell.

The few who are married have wives who also game (also 300lbs, also barely work if at all, etc).

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:14:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Pretty easy.

Don't watch TV and I am awake a good 4 hours after everyone else is asleep.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:15:53 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm lucky, I get to work at 6AM and am out by 3PM most days. My SO doesn't get home until 5PM or so, kids are mostly grown so that's free time for me.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:16:58 AM EDT
[#40]
No wife, no kids, and they might not be doing this every day. It's like binge-watching a TV show.

I'd rather go shooting once a month and put 400 rounds downrange than once a week doing 100.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:18:40 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm retired, wife works full time. Plenty of time for gaming... and going to the gym... and the range... and reading...
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:19:31 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Most live at home or in an apartment provided by their parents.  A few have minimum wage jobs, making just enough to pay their bills and buy a few games.

The few who are married have wives who also game (also 300lbs, also barely work if at all, etc).

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Man, you guys really need to get out more if you think that's what most gamers look like

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:20:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Only time I can knock out a 4+ hour session is weekend nights if me and the wifey don't have anything planned.  During the week I don't play much if at all.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:21:52 AM EDT
[#44]
no kids is the big one
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:22:14 AM EDT
[#45]
When I was in high school, it wasn't uncommon to sit down for several hours at a time to play. At one point I was prestiging in CoD about once every week. When you're young and don't have a heavy workload for school, you have a lot of downtime.

Another thing to consider is that some people have YT channels and get paid to play, so it's actually a form of income for them.

Quoted:
Pretty easy.

Don't watch TV and I am awake a good 4 hours after everyone else is asleep.

View Quote

This, too. 4 hours isn't bad when you're talking 10PM-2AM.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:23:12 AM EDT
[#46]
I used to play Serious Sam SE Fragmatch a LOT even though I had a career, family, etc.  My son was at an age that he could play as well so it was bonding time in addition to being mindless "vegetating " time for me.

I played enough that I was ranked in the top 10 most of the time and #1 several times.

One morning I checked the rankings and found that I had dropped from #1 to completely out of the rankings.  I emailed the ranking service to find out what had happened.  They said that they looked at the time  I spent gaming and figured that I was a bot since nobody would play that much.  They said that could reinstate my ranking if I wanted.  I told them "no" and quit playing games for about three years.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:26:17 AM EDT
[#47]
I used to play 4+ hours a day back in school. WoW was my main hobby and I had a ton of fun playing for a few years. Now that I have a full time job and a house to take care of that kind of time commitment isn't possible and I have no desire to spend all day on the computer even if I could. I guess I grew up a little bit.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:26:38 AM EDT
[#48]
The average American watches 4 hours of TV a day.  

I prefer to play games instead of TV.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:26:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And most gun owners are fat toothless hicks who are uneducated, sister banging racists who use guns to make up for their small penises.

See how easy it is to paint with a broad brush.  

Some of the most succesful people I know are bigger gamers than me, and being how most of us in the field of physical therapy take fitness seriously, none of us weigh anywhere near 300.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:27:31 AM EDT
[#50]
no kids, no wife, some do it for a living, its like going to work.
I stopped. wife and 3 kids, who has time to play a video game?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top