Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/30/2015 10:19:10 AM EDT
Question came up on another board regarding charging your phone while at a theme park.

About half the people think it's ok to just plug into any random receptacle they find scattered around the park.  There thoughts are that since they paid to get in the park and there is no rule or sign forbidding it, it is alright.  Some even justify it by saying it is only a fraction of a penny worth of electricity, so no harm / no foul.

I believe it is theft.  Since they do not have permission to use the receptacle and the park has pay to use charging stations, they are stealing power from the park.  The amount / cost is not relevant.  Theft is theft.

Thoughts from the hive?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:20:15 AM EDT
[#1]
you have too much time on your hands
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:20:35 AM EDT
[#2]
You really are just looking for an argument aren't you.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:20:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Bring a portable charger.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:21:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Once I hop the fence who gives a fuck
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:22:04 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
This is what I do and what most of the people that responded to the thread advised.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:22:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm trying to muster up a fuck to give.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:22:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I bet the theme park has already figured the cost of these kinds of things into their ticket prices.  Toilet flushes, phone charging, etc...you know, stuff that's not readily traceable to the cost of the ticket (and not stuff that everybody uses), but accounted for nonetheless.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:22:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

You really are just looking for an argument aren't you.
View Quote
Not here.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:22:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I haven't done it, but seen it done a lot.

I figure if it was an issue it would have been taken care of well before now.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:22:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:23:37 AM EDT
[#11]
If the park really objected to people charging their phones and stuff there would be a lock box over the outlets.

No box - not stealing.

Break a box - stealing.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:24:54 AM EDT
[#12]
If it's that big a deal, next time you see Mickey walking around,  give him the 5 cents to cover it

ETA: You probably think it's stealing to plug my phone in at work as well
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:25:19 AM EDT
[#13]
pretty sure they don't care. Using $0.001 is not a big deal when they are making 50+ off you.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:25:34 AM EDT
[#14]
this thread is fucking riddled with full blown aids
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:26:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I stand corrected, OP.  You are an oak.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:26:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

this thread is fucking riddled with full blown aids
View Quote
Welcome to a Californian thread.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:26:32 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

If it's that big a deal, next time you see Mickey walking around,  give him the 5 cents to cover it
View Quote

The ticket took care of that.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:27:49 AM EDT
[#18]

Edit while I verify...
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:27:51 AM EDT
[#19]
What about at airports at non-designated recharge areas? (ie...random plug in...)

Or the coffee shop? Mall? etc...

Is it not ok anywhere?

If there's a plug and I need juice...I'm using the plug.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:28:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree, but if it helps ease just one conscious...
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:28:21 AM EDT
[#21]
im not sure why people would be sitting around charging their phone at a theme park anyway.. you would THINK, they would have fully charged gadgets when they arrived, and other than filming, why would they need to be running them down??  id think they would be having fun, and not sitting there for a long time and waiting for their phone to charge...

now fucking airports..... those fuckers SHOULD have 50 outlets side by side for people to charge their electronics. even IF you arrive fully charged, its not unusual to be trapped for 6-10-12-24 hours, on airplanes and in airports with layovers and such. iv charged and used my laptop many times on airport power outlets.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:29:47 AM EDT
[#22]
If you take longer than the commonly accepted time to wash your hands or use more than the normal amount of soap are you stealing? Or if you cup your hands and drink from the sink instead of buying bottled water is that stealing?

Give it a rest, there are larger windmills to chase.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:29:54 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Well, since they provide charging stations, I'm guessing that the park is ok with using their electricity for that purpose.

http://www.fmtusd.org/cms/lib04/CA01000848/Centricity/Domain/2539/DISNEYLAND%20phone%20charge%20stations.pdf
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Question came up on another board regarding charging your phone while at a theme park.

About half the people think it's ok to just plug into any random receptacle they find scattered around the park.  There thoughts are that since they paid to get in the park and there is no rule or sign forbidding it, it is alright.  Some even justify it by saying it is only a fraction of a penny worth of electricity, so no harm / no foul.

I believe it is theft.  Since they do not have permission to use the receptacle and the park has pay to use charging stations, they are stealing power from the park.  The amount / cost is not relevant.  Theft is theft.

Thoughts from the hive?

Well, since they provide charging stations, I'm guessing that the park is ok with using their electricity for that purpose.

http://www.fmtusd.org/cms/lib04/CA01000848/Centricity/Domain/2539/DISNEYLAND%20phone%20charge%20stations.pdf
Those are not free.  It costs $2 an hour to rent a charging locker.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:30:02 AM EDT
[#24]
I don't go to overpriced amusement parks. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:30:28 AM EDT
[#25]
DILLIGAF....................
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:30:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
you have too much time on your hands
View Quote

This. the park doesnt give a fuck so how is it theft?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:31:06 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm pretty sure if the park didn't want you to plug in and use them they'd post signs or block them off.
Cost of doing business and you better believe it's been figured into the cost of admission. Yeah I'm I'm going to squawk at someone using 10 cents of electricity when they're buying a $8 hotdog. I have a pocket charger but my phones makes it a day anyway with out using it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:31:16 AM EDT
[#28]
wow
Quoted:

Thoughts from the hive?
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:31:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts from the hive?

Just saw that, looks like my link goes to someone that is just posting outlet locations. Nevermind
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:32:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Have you seen the price of tickets to those places lately?
Im going with covered in the cost of admission.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:32:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Yeah I don't understand why someone would be charging their phone there.  Do they really need their phone that bad at a theme park?  It's been awhile but I always used to go to Cedar Point every summer as kid and young adult.  I remember standing in line and you would talk to your family/friends with you about everything and chat with the people around you about where they were from.  I suppose now everyone just stands in line with their faces buried in their phones.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:32:53 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thoughts from the hive?

DisneyWorld has outlets with USB charging ports in public areas (near some benches), so I would guess they're OK with it.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:33:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Thoughts from the hive?
View Quote

I didn't ask permission to use the drinking fountain, and they sell water (at five bucks a bottle,) so. . .

On a side note, whenever I find loose change on the ground, I always turn it in to the police so that the rightful owner has a chance to claim and recover it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:34:33 AM EDT
[#34]

FPNI

Dude, don't you have some work to do?

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:35:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:35:49 AM EDT
[#36]
I bet you steal water from the water fountains though.... don't you ?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:36:46 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

For the chillrin...

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:37:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
DisneyWorld has outlets with USB charging ports in public areas (near some benches), so I would guess they're OK with it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts from the hive?

Just was going to post this, thought I remembered seeing chargin stations at WDW the last time we were there.
Can't find info on Disneyland, though.
http://www.disneyquestions.com/phone-charging-station-anywhere-disney-parks/
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:38:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:39:17 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:39:48 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View Quote
I agree. If you can bring a cord with plug along then you can easily bring one of the Lipstick style chargers with you.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:41:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Don't text at 45 degrees.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:42:52 AM EDT
[#43]
It's not theft.  It's just swept under the rug.

The park wouldn't want the publicity backlash from having the perpetrator arrested for stealing the electricity, or kicking them out of the park.  Do you think those people would ever return?  Their facebook would blow up about this event, and the publicity would likely do more harm than saving the pennies of electricity.

In fact, I can see designated charging ports added in the years to come...I'm kinda confused as to why they don't already have them.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:43:42 AM EDT
[#44]

FPNI
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:47:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Turn that frown upside down!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:48:44 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Just was going to post this, thought I remembered seeing chargin stations at WDW the last time we were there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thoughts from the hive?

The only charging stations at Disneyland are the pay to use lockers.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:49:30 AM EDT
[#47]
There's an app for that.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:49:34 AM EDT
[#48]
It's technically theft, but...meh. There's no way I'm getting worked up over it. It doesn't even amount to a rounding error on their electric bill.

As far as I'm concerned, it's one less person to compete with in line.

I'd just as soon leave it up to the park. If it bothers them that much, they can have one of their employees tell the scofflaw to knock it off.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:51:08 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

It's technically theft, but...meh. There's no way I'm getting worked up over it. It doesn't even amount to a rounding error on their electric bill.

As far as I'm concerned, it's one less person to compete with in line.

I'd just as soon leave it up to the park. If it bothers them that much, they can have one of their employees tell the scofflaw to knock it off.
View Quote
Most of the posters on the Disney forums are libs.  It's fun to troll them and see what happens.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:52:02 AM EDT
[#50]
I simply recharge my phone using the power port in my electric car that is plugged into their outlet.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top