Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/30/2015 9:29:38 AM EDT
Local media is giving away free signs for all combat veterans to warn of the use of fireworks...

If I had a neighbor that was like this, I would take them shooting and try and work the PTSD out of them, since apparently they aren't getting the help they want or need already.

What's arfcoms opinion on this?

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:31:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I would take them shooting and try and work the PTSD out of them...
View Quote

Ask Chris Kyle how that worked out for him.

(I realize the shooter did not have PTSD...he was just a whack job)
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:33:59 AM EDT
[#2]
All loud noises put me on edge. But my dog does the same thing and he was never in Iraq or Afghanistan.

I have noticed that it has been since 2012 since I returned from my last deployment and things are getting better with time. I'm getting more easy going, and less likely to flip out on little things. Also I sleep better at night (not so paranoid and I don't wake up sweating thinking I've lost my rifle... as much)
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:34:56 AM EDT
[#3]
" take them shooting and try and work the PTSD out of them"

No, just no.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:35:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Local media is giving away free signs for all combat veterans to warn of the use of fireworks...

If I had a neighbor that was like this, I would take them shooting and try and work the PTSD out of them, since apparently they aren't getting the help they want or need already.

View Quote

I can't hear you over the sound of my fireworks.

Did we ever do this for any other war vets?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:38:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I wasn't a combatant in Iraq but was around enough gunfire & explosions to make me very uncomfortable during the July 4th fireworks show (commercial grade stuff).  Everything is fine now but I can empathize with those who are reminded of bad shit by the fireworks.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:38:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I can't discount the issue.  A Marine buddy of mine would stand up quickly and reach for his non-existent sidearm sometimes when he heard fireworks unexpectedly.  It isn't as bad now, but it did take him a year or so to completely wind down.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:39:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Please tell me more about this ground breaking treatment doctor. Is that similar to making a gay man fuck a woman to fuck the gay out of him or....?

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:39:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Meh, my opinion would make me an asshole.

All I know is my grandfather was a SSgt in the Marines and did two tours in Vietnam.  His PTSD is to the point where up to currently he has episodes where he will wake up in the middle of the night, take cover under the bed and start screaming orders (pain meds are what set this off) and he's never been bothered enough by fireworks to bitch about them.  

I never served, so what do I know
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:40:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

work the PTSD out of them?

FO
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:42:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Special snowflake syndrome combined with veterans as victims narrative.

I didn't go to war to ensure people had to ask permission to celebrate independence day.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:43:46 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm generally outside blowing shit up on the 4th, as are many of my fellow combat veterans. I think the signs are a bit dramatic. More of a "hey look at me, I'm special!"
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:43:54 AM EDT
[#12]
You'd think all they would need is to cuddle up with their "service dog" and ride the storm out.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:45:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All loud noises put me on edge. But my dog does the same thing and he was never in Iraq or Afghanistan.

I have noticed that it has been since 2012 since I returned from my last deployment and things are getting better with time. I'm getting more easy going, and less likely to flip out on little things. Also I sleep better at night (not so paranoid and I don't wake up sweating thinking I've lost my rifle... as much)
View Quote

Yeah, I'll second that.

I was home for 4th of July on block leave right off a deployment.  Was at a friends house drinking and enjoying the holiday but ended up by myself inside once the fireworks started kicking off all over the neighborhood.  It was just too weird.

Called my buddy to chat and he was doing the exact same thing

Now, 8 years later, it doesn't bother me near as much but I'm still very aware of all of the noises.  My trouble sleeping has pretty much gone away too.  No more waking up to gunfire that isn't there.  That sucked.

But yeah, those signs are a bit silly.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:45:53 AM EDT
[#14]
These signs are silly.

IF there are veterans who are so far gone that FIREWORKS fuck them up, then they need to go WAAAAAAAY out in the country somewhere and wear earpro to avoid the fireworks...

That being said, I think that there are very few actual people who have flashbacks from FIREWORKS because they're FIREWORKS and you know WELL IN ADVANCE that on the 4th of July (like, your entire FUCKING LIFE) people have fired off fireworks to celebrate.

If you are so far gone on the path that you can't mentally recognize these things, perhaps you're not fully ready to be part of society, and you should spend some time in an institution until such time as you have left some of your demons behind you.

/signed a combat vet who received indirect rocket and artillery fire (what fireworks sound like, I guess?)

FFS.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:45:56 AM EDT
[#15]
My oldest daughter is an Iraq War vet, and she gets a little wigged-out by fireworks. It's not the big commercial-grade ones that bother her, it's the small ones up close, usually accompanied by little brown people running around(there are a lot of Hispanic children in her neighborhood), that do it. She's slowly getting better about it, but not long after she got back, I got a phone call from her... Calling from her bedroom closet. All she needed was Papa's voice telling her that everything was going to be alright.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:15:56 AM EDT
[#16]
I think it's attention whoring. I spent 9yrs deployed in the GWOT between the Corps and contracting and I think it's absolute bullshit.  

You know how you confront PTSD issues with fireworks? you got outside and watch them. Don't sit in your house trying to watch TV. If you think "It's fireworks" then look at the sky and see them.... you're fine.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:12:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I remember when I was young on the 4th of July, the neighborhood kids and I were shooting fireworks in the street in front of the house I lived in.  There were alot of WW2 vets that lived in the neighborhood along with young couples with kids.  The lady across the street (Connie) was a former drummer in a girl band in Calif. back in the 70s turned born again Christian (pentecostal) that lived with her mother and they loved watching us shoot off fireworks every year.

This certain year (in the early 80s) our next door Vietnam veteran neighbor's son (Jerry) was visiting them.  His mother came out after we started and said that the fireworks were disturbing him because of his Vietnam experiences.  

While we were discussing it with her, some kids farther down he street set off some firecrackers.  They were not with our group.  Next thing I know her son comes bolting out of the house and rushed over to us kids flailing his arms in the air and yelling about the firecrackers.  Connie quickly came between our group of kids and the raging son with her hands on her hips and a stern expression on her face.  When he quit yelling and looked down at this barely 5' tall women in front of him, she immediately raised her hand to his head and started to cast the demons out of him.  She yelled in a loud and forceful voice and he was struck surprised and stunned for a few seconds.  Then she said something in "tongues" and slapped him on the chest with a shout of "demons BEGONE"!

He stumbled back a few feet and almost fell.  He turned and retreated back to his parents house never to return that night.  Never heard if he was cured...

We cheered and was able to finish off our fireworks.

For years us kids would laugh when anyone mentioned anything about the night Connie saved the 4th of July.

LB

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:18:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Gimme attention
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:22:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

My last tour ended at at the end of '08...

Still hate crowds...(well...always have, really...so...)

Fireworks aren't bad now. First few years...holy shit. My wife got scared a couple times. Not my fault that shit sounds like a fire fight going on nearby

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:24:54 PM EDT
[#20]
US Veterans are the next up and coming "Everything effects and offends me" group.

Must be generational.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:24:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My oldest daughter is an Iraq War vet, and she gets a little wigged-out by fireworks. It's not the big commercial-grade ones that bother her, it's the small ones up close, usually accompanied by little brown people running around(there are a lot of Hispanic children in her neighborhood), that do it. She's slowly getting better about it, but not long after she got back, I got a phone call from her... Calling from her bedroom closet. All she needed was Papa's voice telling her that everything was going to be alright.
View Quote

I can only imagine... that had to be heartbreaking. I hope she's getting better as time goes on. God bless her.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:29:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
US Veterans are the next up and coming "Everything effects and offends me" group.

Must be generational.

View Quote

It's already well in place.

The party owns the military and has been seeding it with commissars since tailhook.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:33:05 PM EDT
[#23]
" />

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:33:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Never been in the military or combat, and am very appreciative of those that have served.  I have been working the pits at a number of rifle matches and can see how firecrackers could sound like incoming fire.

The snap of a .223 round coming over head does sound a lot like a small fire cracker going off.   I guess that could trigger some involuntary responses, especially if someone wasn't expecting it or had a particularly traumatic experience.

IMHO, shooting off fireworks is a deep rooted tradition in this country, and is part of what these brave men and women fought for.  I think if I was in their shoes I'd probably find something else to do around the 4th to try not to inconvenience the rest of the neighbors around me.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:35:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:35:18 PM EDT
[#26]
...I wish common sense would prevail just once. It goes both ways on this one,IMHO.
If you are going to shoot fireworks and you know of a combat vet that lives nearby,maybe give him or her a heads up.you know be fucking neighborly.
On the other side of the coin every American knows 2 weeks before and 2-3 weeks after the 4th of July people shoot off fireworks,so plan accordingly if need be.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:36:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Attention seekers.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:38:14 PM EDT
[#28]
The guy I used to work with who claimed ptsd worked inside the wire in a radio shop. So full of shit he was.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:39:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:40:41 PM EDT
[#30]
I thought it was unexpected explosions that upset guys.  I figured on the 4th of July they would be expecting it but not on the way to the grocery store in September.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:41:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:42:25 PM EDT
[#32]
If your neighbor with "ptsd" is coming over to complain then obviously your fireworks aren't loud enough.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:42:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I thought it was unexpected explosions that upset guys.  I figured on the 4th of July they would be expecting it but not on the way to the grocery store in September.
View Quote

Everything upsets veterans. Fireworks, thanking us for our service, too much or too little VA support, anxiety service dogs, unrealistic war movies, realistic war movies. You name it, a veteran will bitch about it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:43:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Its whatever gets them attention.
when I first got back I worked across the highway from the MG range.

I'd step out and hear a bunch of MGs going off and it would get my blood pumping a bit.  Fucking deal with it.

So much for America's warriors.  Now its America's victims.

Its not like we were sitting in the trenches in WW1 for 4 fucking years.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:46:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not sure if serious....

Fireworks don't sound like gunfire and if they did that is not the scary sound. The scary sound is the snapping of bullets over your head.

It is not scary when a bunch of people are running around, it is when everyone/all the kids disappear from the streets.

Anyways agree with all that say this all attention whoring.  Also you can make a pretty decent living collecting vet benefits for something you can not prove or disprove you have. The separation councilors when you get out basically are cajoling you into taking the government for as much as you can.

I think the majority of "PTSD" cases are bullshit
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:47:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'd step out and hear a bunch of MGs going off and it would get my blood pumping a bit.  Fucking deal with it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No Shit.

Plus back then all the VA did for "shell shock" was give you a fucking lobotomy. At least then neighbors didn't have to deal with your mico triggers on one of our greatest national holidays.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:49:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Not sure if serious....

Fireworks don't sound like gunfire and if they did that is not the scary sound. The scary sound is the snapping of bullets over your head.

It is not scary when a bunch of people are running around, it is when everyone/all the kids disappear from the streets.

Anyways agree with all that say this all attention whoring.  Also you can make a pretty decent living collecting vet benefits for something you can not prove or disprove you have. The separation councilors when you get out basically are cajoling you into taking the government for as much as you can.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure if serious....

I worked at a college veteran center, and have yet to meet a female vet of any service below 70% disability.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:50:21 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Everything upsets veterans. Fireworks, thanking us for our service, too much or too little VA support, anxiety service dogs, unrealistic war movies, realistic war movies. You name it, a veteran will bitch about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

dude...it was nearly designator on the 11B MOS...

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I worked at a college veteran center, and have yet to meet a female vet of any service below 70% disability.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not sure if serious....

How come this doesn't shock me...

As I've watched the guy that sits across from me (ret Marine E-9...) try to claim everything he possibly can, up to an including ED.

There's a lot of shitbags when it comes to claiming disability.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:53:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Must be generational.

View Quote

Yep. The new victim class.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:57:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Never been in the military or combat, and am very appreciative of those that have served.  I have been working the pits at a number of rifle matches and can see how firecrackers could sound like incoming fire.

The snap of a .223 round coming over head does sound a lot like a small fire cracker going off.   I guess that could trigger some involuntary responses, especially if someone wasn't expecting it or had a particularly traumatic experience.

IMHO, shooting off fireworks is a deep rooted tradition in this country, and is part of what these brave men and women fought for.  I think if I was in their shoes I'd probably find something else to do around the 4th to try not to inconvenience the rest of the neighbors around me.
View Quote

in my experience a projectile traveling over your head does not sound like a fire cracker (not combat experience, someone shot several rounds at me while hunting) It was a whistling sound
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:57:15 PM EDT
[#42]
{furiously takes notes for VA physical this week.}
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:59:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Must be generational.

Wait until these folks get used to their new standard of living.

Total Living GWOT Veterans:  1,847,047
Total who have filed disability claims:  914,193
Total who have been awarded disability benefits:  810,307
Total claims denied: 15,105
Pending claims:  168,702

GWOT is at around 50k WIA since 9/11
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:02:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

My 400 page medical record didn't even get me the 0% service connection I asked for (where the VA will cover medical expenses if for some reason I don't have real people insurance)

My medic bro from way back in 2ID says that if I told them about the fugly female SSG who coerced me into fucking her I could get 80%+
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:02:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Rather than try to make others not celebrate or to "work the PTSD out of him", how about buying a nice set of noise canceling headphones for any vet worried about fireworks.  

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:03:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Rather than try to make others not celebrate or to "work the PTSD out of him", how about buying a nice set of noise canceling headphones for any vet worried about fireworks.  

View Quote

How about a greyhound ticket. We can only drown out the PTSD with Studio Beats by Dre. Big monies.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:06:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Gimme attention
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gimme attention

This after Vietnam the media saw calling them baby killers to further their cause.

the Gulf they just plain ignoring them.

now they are heroic victims in this terrible war on brown people.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:07:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dude your claims will still take two years minimum to get processed.
You should've been like the whiney dike wook I knew and bitched about your problems while in.
That way you can be in the Marines without doing all that hard PT and deploying and going to the field.

I cannot account for all cases but a few need to suck it up.
My friend that I was in the Marines with took an IED to the ass end of his MATV and he's fine around loud noises.
A few are just seeking attention, if dudes like Kyle Carpenter can deal with fireworks no one else has an excuse.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:07:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

How about a greyhound ticket. We can only drown out the PTSD with Studio Beats by Dre. Big monies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:08:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

in my experience a projectile traveling over your head does not sound like a fire cracker (not combat experience, someone shot several rounds at me while hunting) It was a whistling sound
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll post a video from the pit if i can find it.   Never once have I heard a whistle,  just the snap.  Hundreds of rounds over my head, if not thousands in a match environment.

This was a video from my first match in the pits at Camp Perry.   This was I think the M16 EIC match, so these are 5.56 bullets coming in overhead.   The snaps are the bullets and sounded like someone lit off one of those 1000rd firecracker chains in the pits right next to us.

http://vid221.photobucket.com/albums/dd136/jblomenberg16/VIDEO0023.mp4
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top