Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/29/2015 4:45:43 PM EDT
i just heard on the radio that the Supreme Court has issued a ruling on Voter ID laws where the Supreme Court decided that states cannot require voters to prove citizenship.

Can anyone confirm this?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:47:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Does it matter?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:47:17 PM EDT
[#2]

The U.S. Supreme Court rejected a joint-appeal from Arizona and Kansas on Monday that would have allowed the states to require applicants to show proof of citizenship while registering to vote.

In throwing out the case, SCOTUS uphold a Nov. 2014 ruling by the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, stating that the Election Assistance Commission — the federal agency overseeing changes to states’ voter registration processes — was, "not required to grant the states’ request that proof of citizenship be added to registration requirements,” reports Reuters. The court believed that the federal registration form — requiring applicants to swear they are citizens under the threat of perjury — was a sufficient safe-guard against voter fraud.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/06/29/supreme-court-throws-out-arizona-kansas-voter-id-appeal/

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:47:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
i just heard on the radio that the Supreme Court has issued a ruling on Voter ID laws where the Supreme Court decided that states cannot require voters to prove citizenship.

Can anyone confirm this?
View Quote

State issue not Fed issue.  At least for now.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:47:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I wounder if this will have any bearings on 4473's when it comes to providing ID/ proving citizenship?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:52:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I wounder if this will have any bearings on 4473's when it comes to providing ID/ proving citizenship?
View Quote

No need. The government just gives guns to narco terrorists these days.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:00:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow! I guess now I don't have to show ID or have a background check done when exercising my 2A rights....

How far down on the BoR list is it for voting?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:02:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's that.

I'm looking forward to the mental gymnastics used to justify the ID/citizenship requirement on a 4473 now that SCOTUS came down with this ruling.

I smell another DUI checkpoint ruling.  "Yeah, checkpoints are unconstitutional, but they're just the tip when it comes to fucking the 4th amendment in the ass, so we'll allow it".  Bet we see something similar if SCOTUS hears arguments against the ID and citizen requirement on 4473's.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:03:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Setting the stage for another round of dimbs to get elected.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:04:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can anyone confirm this?

Funny how that doesn't work consistently.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:04:58 PM EDT
[#11]
From Vampire Economy: Doing Business Under Fascism by Gunter Reimann, 1939.

The owner of the property was helpless, since under fascism
there is no longer an independent judiciary that protects
the property rights of private citizens against the State.
The authoritarian State has made it a principle that
private property is no longer sacred.

The government of a totalitarian State would not be
"authoritarian" if the courts still functioned independently,
as they do under liberal capitalism.

https://mises.org/sites/default/files/The%20Vampire%20Economy.pdf

ETA:

A little off topic, but interesting nonetheless in the context of the last few years.  From the same book:

You have no idea how far State control goes and how
much power the Nazi representatives have over our work.
The worst of it is that they are so ignorant. In this respect
they certainly differ from the former Social-Democratic
officials. These Nazi radicals think of nothing except "distributing
the wealth."

Some businessmen have even started studying Marxist
theories, so that they will have a better understanding of
the present economic system.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:05:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

There's that.

I'm looking forward to the mental gymnastics used to justify the ID/citizenship requirement on a 4473 now that SCOTUS came down with this ruling.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's that.

There are no mental gymnastics required, we have crossed the Rubicon into straight up tyranny.

They do whatever the fuck they want, and really have for some time.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:06:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There are no mental gymnastics required, we have crossed the Rubicon into straight up tyranny.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's that.

I smell another DUI checkpoint ruling.  "Yeah, checkpoints are unconstitutional, but they're just the tip when it comes to fucking the 4th amendment in the ass, so we'll allow it".  Bet we see something similar if SCOTUS hears arguments against the ID and citizen requirement on 4473's.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:06:34 PM EDT
[#14]
How does this jive with Heller and MacDonald then?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:06:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can anyone confirm this?

So was marriage
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:07:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Wow! I guess now I don't have to show ID or have a background check done when exercising my 2A rights....

View Quote

Voting is not in the BoR.   Pre-war of northern aggression, States set their own voting requirements.  Post-wona, they were barred from restricting it for race, and later they were barred for considering gender.

But voting has never been a right - it is a qualified privilege.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:09:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can anyone confirm this?

Some rights are more important than others. Or whichever ones the Federal govt. deems more worthy at the time.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:11:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Yea, because people wouldn't lie on that form.  And it's not like there are people getting arrested for it.

I am 100% for voter ID.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:11:30 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Voting is not in the BoR.   Pre-war of northern aggression, States set their own voting requirements.  Post-wona, they were barred from restricting it for race, and later they were barred for considering gender.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What about the 26th Amendment?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:16:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would be more prudent to be exploring how to restrict voting, not make it easier.

Giving suffrage to every dumbass who survives to 18, has been an unmitigated disaster.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:17:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can anyone confirm this?

Some day we'll all learn that there is no such thing as a "state issue" any more.
Indiana passed the first law requiring ID to vote.
Of course, those opposed to the law immediately filed a lawsuit in Federal court.
The Fine Nine in D.C. approved the law so it's still in effect. If five of the Nine had disapproved, voter ID would be dead in the U.S..
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:21:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yea, because people wouldn't lie on that form.  And it's not like there are people getting arrested for it.

I am 100% for voter ID.
View Quote

I'm all for voting requirements to be every bit as stringent as the ones applied to buying a gun.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:24:41 PM EDT
[#23]
let repubs start getting elected in a landslide.... and get a chunk of the dem vote, and all you will hear is screaming about voter id... and you will get a fed law  lickity split requiring it...
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:26:15 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

let repubs start getting elected in a landslide.... and get a chunk of the dem vote, and all you will hear is screaming about voter id... and a law lickity split requiring it...
View Quote

Great theory, but that'll never happen again.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:29:50 PM EDT
[#25]
LOL. The country is lost. Taken over by fascists and degenerates.

The left would burn the country to the foundation if it could dictate what happens to the ashes.

eta - the supreme court didn't even hear the case. Apparently different circuits would have to rule separately on the issue before they will take it.

Regardless, we are fucked.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:30:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude, you're totally harshing my "lincolnwasaterrorist" mellow.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:35:48 PM EDT
[#28]
This is freedom. Everyone on mother Gaia should have the right to vote as many times as they want.

For the crony of their choice.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:37:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Setting the stage for another round of dimbs to get elected.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:38:39 PM EDT
[#30]
requiring applicants to swear they are citizens under the threat of perjury — was a sufficient safe-guard against voter fraud.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:40:16 PM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:41:29 PM EDT
[#32]
I am 100% for voter ID.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:43:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Shit is happening faster and faster. It's like there is a schedule.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:45:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Well get out there and vote Early & Often.

Fire with fire.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:49:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:52:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wasn't originally an enumerated right except to land owners & then it was elsewhere in the Constitution.

But as it is it is waaaay down in the list.

#2 is still #2

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:52:48 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

requiring applicants to swear they are citizens under the threat of perjury — was a sufficient safe-guard against voter fraud.

Do you swear under penalty of perjury that you are an American citizen?

Si!
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:08:04 PM EDT
[#38]
next election day I might as well go to every single polling place in the state and vote, because fuck it, it doesn't matter anymore, evidently.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:21:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Americans are what is wrong with America.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:26:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Shit is happening faster and faster. It's like there is a schedule.
View Quote

There are a few old people that want to see shit happen before they're gone
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:31:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Lets see - the first revolution was caused because of lack of representation.

The second revolution - ultimately cause by lack of representation (their vote could not protect their interests)

The Texas revolution - Santa Anna removed the vote form the Mexican Territories.

But coupled with these - is what do you have to loose (if you stay, or if you try to go).  We are still too rich and have too much to loose.

for what it is worth, the illegals could also revolt.  They also lack representation, and have less to loose.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:02:23 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

The second revolution - ultimately cause by lack of representation (their vote could not protect their interests)

The Texas revolution - Santa Anna removed the vote form the Mexican Territories.

But coupled with these - is what do you have to loose (if you stay, or if you try to go).  We are still too rich and have too much to loose.

for what it is worth, the illegals could also revolt.  They also lack representation, and have less to loose.
View Quote

How is it that they lack representation when most of OUR elected representatives fall over themselves to take care of the illegals' needs and interests??
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:08:00 PM EDT
[#43]
I say do it anyway like the Obama Administration and then let the Supremes rule against it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:10:38 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote

A lot of the people who participated in the American Revolution and the Texas Revolution had quite a bit to lose, and many of them lost everything.

I am not advocating for revolt, just pointing out the fact that historically, the people who built this nation didn't wait until they had everything stripped from them before they took action.

As for the illegals revolting, anyone can revolt at any time for any reason if they think that the cause is worth dying for. But in their case, their justification is weak, to put it mildly. They illegally smuggled themselves into our country and now demand equal footing with legal citizens, including the right to participate in our electoral process? They don't even belong here!

Besides, the illegals couldn't care less about voting. This is the work of The Leftists who are trying to bolster their share of the proletariat. The illegals are simply useful idiots, like the gays.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:05:29 PM EDT
[#45]
You could power this country if you hooked a genearator up to our spinning Forefathers.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:14:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It would be more prudent to be exploring how to restrict voting, not make it easier.

Giving suffrage to every dumbass who survives to 18, has been an unmitigated disaster.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's the end result of democracy combined with an "all men are equal" ideal. Arguably, equality before the law is the philosophical rationalization for the inherent pressure to maximize the quantity of voters that democracy creates.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:17:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Does it matter?
View Quote

Just a bit in that they will be free to do their voter fraud without repercussions now rather than before when they had to at least try to hide it.

If I can just come in your house and steal you shit in the open and not be afraid of you doing something, well its better than having to sneak in at night and be quiet.

Buy you're right, the end result is the same.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:27:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
How does this jive with Heller and MacDonald then?
View Quote

What the Fuck are you talking about?

Yet another whole thread has ignored your post again.
Are you 2Minkey's close brother?

If you have an interesting, helpful or provocative thought about how this affects THAT significant case then give us a clue. Maybe then someone other than me will respond to your cryptic double secret brilliant conceptualizations.

I have no idea, but I'm pretty dum.

I can imagine though, that if the SCOTUS doesn't think people need to prove they are citizens  for voting (thus for anything), then in effect everyone in the world can be a citizen, then yeah every law on the books, every aspect of the constitution can be revisited.

And then where are we? I don't know but I suspect its not good.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:30:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Yeah, I feel this country is done.
I'm glad I'm older and won't have to suffer what is yet to come for you younger folks.

Me "spending your social security money" (a monthly thread) is the least of your problems that are yet to come.....

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:31:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, I know. I read the article and got to that "core of the whole fucking thing" part and went "oh my". We are fucked. And we are seeing it every day in so many ways.
Interesting times indeed.
Well. I'm 60 and things were good for America during that time (though the seeds of this were sown or were growing).
I am lucky and am grateful to have had that.
And I will continue to be grateful for whatever I continue to have.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top