Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2015 12:45:32 PM EDT
I need an AC unit for my apartment, it's smallish 760 sq ft total, need one for the living room area which is probably like 500 of that sq ft.

It needs to be one of the R2-D2 style units with the exhaust hose as the window is too small for one of those ones that hangs out of the window.

I'd prefer something on Amazon Prime but anything without unreasonable ship prices or that would make me wait too long is ok with me.

I was looking at a 12,000 BTU Haier unit but wanted to check with the hive before I bought one.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:06:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Summer might just last long enough this year to make it worthwhile.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:10:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had good luck with the Haier unit I bought (don't recall the BTU rating), no problems, works fine.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:12:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had really shitty luck with the portable AC units compared to window units. Don't get me wrong the portable units work, but they seem to take much longer when it comes to cooling off a room.  If window units are possible I'd go that route.  They seem to work much more efficiently and cost $200-$300 less.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:27:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had really shitty luck with the portable AC units compared to window units. Don't get me wrong the portable units work, but they seem to take much longer when it comes to cooling off a room.  If window units are possible I'd go that route.  They seem to work much more efficiently and cost $200-$300 less.
View Quote

Yeah totally agree on that front but window units are not an option with this apartment.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Be sure to get a dual hose unit. I have a single hose unit, it's not the greatest.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:29:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 10,000 BTU LG model from Home Depot.  For the price, I am very satisfied.  I like the timer feature- the main reason we have it is to cool down the master bedroom right under a hot attic in a multilevel home.

If you get it from Home Depot you can also pick up a wood plank, weatherstripping and a window lock or bar for a nicer secure install.  The plastic panel that holds the exhaust port is pretty flimsy.  I cut a piece of wood, added weatherstripping and painted to match the window trim.  Looks much nicer.  I just install it each Summer and secure the window on both sides.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:35:49 PM EDT
[#7]
We have a Maytag Portable we bought 10 or so years back. We use it in the bedroom during the hottest nights of summer. They take a long time to cool down any large area and make a lot of noise. I see a noticeable difference in the electric bill when we start using it.

YMMV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top