Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/29/2015 12:13:45 PM EDT
Marriage licenses were not required in this country until some decades after its founding. Anyone could walk into a church, ask the preacher to marry them, and if he did, they were considered married. Done deal, no government involvement.

Then came the overwhelming desire to keep black folks from marrying white folks. How do we do that? We have the state begin to require a license to get married. That way, the state government can control who can and who can't get married. Christian ministers went right along with this, welcoming this fantastic way to make sure we didn't mix the races.

Fast forward to now. Thanks to Christian ministers going along with the idea of government-issued marriage licenses to make sure they got their way back then, we get to live with government's rules on issuing licenses today when someone else is in charge.

In a nutshell, Christians stood by when folks invited the man into their lives by asking government to become involved in a social and religious transaction. Now, we get to live with the consequences of that choice. If the government was never invited into marriage, SCOTUS would not be able to rule on whether or not states have to issue licenses to any particular group.

So, to all of you who are mourning the decision, let this serve as a lesson next time you find yourself agreeing with people who want to involve government in ANYTHING in which it is not already involved.

To all of you who are celebrating the decision, let this serve as a lesson that the wheel always turns. It may not turn today, it may not turn tomorrow, but it will turn. Go ahead and celebrate the federal government decreeing what states have to do, but understand that when folks with whom you disagree are in charge, you will live by their proclamations.

TL;DR:  Never vote.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:15:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't care. At all.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:25:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:30:31 PM EDT
[#3]
You should care.  They have established a very dangerous precedent with regards to the 14th Amendment trumping the other Amendments to protect non-enumerated "rights."
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:30:53 PM EDT
[#4]
RAINBOWS, RAINBOWS EVERYWHERE!!

Oh, and large ISIS inspired flags covered in dildos.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:33:03 PM EDT
[#5]
God will judge.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:33:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You should care.  They have established a very dangerous precedent with regards to the 14th Amendment trumping the other Amendments to protect non-enumerated "rights."
View Quote

The Court did that back in 1973.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:33:58 PM EDT
[#7]
As long as the government is telling us who we can marry and are teaching our kids to be good liberals in government run schools, I'm sure we'll be sound as a pound.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:36:28 PM EDT
[#8]
The most important lesson?

Incrementalism works.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:38:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

This right here. In combination with the decision to interpret the Obamacare's "intent" versus the wording of the law the court has set some very, very bad precedents.

Slick Willy was way ahead of his time with his depends on the meaning of is. Apparently words can now mean whatever you feel like making them mean.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:39:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Good points.  

Never ever invite the man into your life.......ever----for any reason......EVER.

Good for everyone to keep in mind.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:40:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't care. At all.
View Quote

I do, because the justification the SC used lays the door wide open for national CCW.  The wording of the decision would make it an exercise in extremely convoluted logic to make it otherwise.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:42:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you are saying that it's dangerous that the 14th was given preference over the 10th, I'd have to disagree with you.  Individual rights, enumerated or not, should be held paramount to states rights.

If you are saying something else, I don't get what you mean by the 14th trumping another amendment being dangerous.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:42:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I do, because the justification the SC used lays the door wide open for national CCW.  The wording of the decision would make it an exercise in extremely convoluted logic to make it otherwise.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't care. At all.

Convoluted logic, like what Roberts used to vindicated Obamacare?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:43:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't care. At all.

The only logic the SC has been using is "does this expand the .gov's power".  National CCW is counter productive to that, unless there is some tax and permitting process that is required to get a national CCW licence.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't care. At all.

That is not how this works at all.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:45:07 PM EDT
[#16]
The SC doesn't vote based on it's interpretation of the Constitution anymore. It's now a 100% political machine on both sides.They vote based on their personal political ideology, period. Or, they vote based on what they get told to do, IE Roberts being blackmailed about his kids. The SC died a long time ago.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:46:19 PM EDT
[#17]
How about this for a lesson.

If you stand in the way of someone else's liberty they will fight you. If you fight back they will fight you harder. Since they want it more than you do they will probably win. When they win, they will put their boot on your neck and take away your liberty because you were a dick to them. As an insult added to perceived injury, they will use the same arguments to justify their boot on your neck as you used on them.

How about Aikidoinstead of chess or checkers.  "You can't do that because it makes me feel icky" is not good justification for anything.  Why can't some here at Arfcom treat issues of not harmful to you/not your butthole/ not your pot needles/ not your marriage personal liberty the same way as they respond to overbearing HOAs and 2nd Amendment violators?  

Don't fuck me in the ass and I won't fuck you in the ass.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:46:42 PM EDT
[#18]
How the fuck do they plan on reproducing.....fulfilling gods wish?  

Perversion wins.  

I really don't give a shit what two people do but what's the deal with having to hear about it...EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:47:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The SC doesn't vote based on it's interpretation of the Constitution anymore. It's now a 100% political machine on both sides.They vote based on their personal political ideology, period. Or, they vote based on what they get told to do, IE Roberts being blackmailed about his kids. The SC died a long time ago.
View Quote

Bingo. That is exactly why I posted what I did in the post above yours.

It is also why the SCOTUS never should have been given the opportunity to make any decisions about marriage. However, since in days of yore our forefathers invited the man in, the man gets to do pretty much what he wants as is quite evident in the Obamacare ruling.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:04:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The only logic the SC has been using is "does this expand the .gov's power".  National CCW is counter productive to that, unless there is some tax and permitting process that is required to get a national CCW licence.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't care. At all.

This.  The recent ScotusCare decision is an example of this principle and explains the disparate logic in the two decisions from the same court.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I don't care. At all.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:04:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:07:06 PM EDT
[#23]
I wonder if my 1st amendment rights would be upheld if I burned rainbow flag.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:07:46 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Marriage licenses were not required in this country until some decades after its founding. Anyone could walk into a church, ask the preacher to marry them, and if he did, they were considered married. Done deal, no government involvement.

Then came the overwhelming desire to keep black folks from marrying white folks. How do we do that? We have the state begin to require a license to get married. That way, the state government can control who can and who can't get married. Christian ministers went right along with this, welcoming this fantastic way to make sure we didn't mix the races.

Fast forward to now. Thanks to Christian ministers going along with the idea of government-issued marriage licenses to make sure they got their way back then, we get to live with government's rules on issuing licenses today when someone else is in charge.

In a nutshell, Christians stood by when folks invited the man into their lives by asking government to become involved in a social and religious transaction. Now, we get to live with the consequences of that choice. If the government was never invited into marriage, SCOTUS would not be able to rule on whether or not states have to issue licenses to any particular group.

So, to all of you who are mourning the decision, let this serve as a lesson next time you find yourself agreeing with people who want to involve government in ANYTHING in which it is not already involved.

To all of you who are celebrating the decision, let this serve as a lesson that the wheel always turns. It may not turn today, it may not turn tomorrow, but it will turn. Go ahead and celebrate the federal government decreeing what states have to do, but understand that when folks with whom you disagree are in charge, you will live by their proclamations.

View Quote

This.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:08:21 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't care. At all.

No it doesn't. In fact based on the use of intent to decide what things mean, the liberal majority can now just decide the 2A was never intended to allow the ordinary citizen to have arms to the detriment of the majority. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few and all that. It is a living document after all.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:08:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Double Tap

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:10:36 PM EDT
[#27]
I knew it. It's all the Christians' fault.

Scheming, conniving bastages.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:14:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I knew it. It's all the Christians' fault.

Scheming, conniving bastages.

View Quote

I wouldn't go as far as saying that.

But, using a rite of the church as a means of getting tax breaks seemed to bite us in the ass.

That slippery slope started long before Toby Keith was fletching Tim McGraw.

Edit: Spelling
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:15:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If you are saying that it's dangerous that the 14th was given preference over the 10th, I'd have to disagree with you.  Individual rights, enumerated or not, should be held paramount to states rights.

If you are saying something else, I don't get what you mean by the 14th trumping another amendment being dangerous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That individual "right" to be married is NOT in the Bill of Rights or anywhere in the Constitution.  That leaves it up to the States, according to the 10th.

You can't invent "rights" and then use the 14th to impose them upon the States.   Or actually.... now you can.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:17:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Licences are required in other countries, even countries whom have had no association with Christianity.

This isn't a specific religious issue, this is a power issue, control issue, and a documentation issue.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:18:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That individual "right" to be married is NOT in the Bill of Rights or anywhere in the Constitution.  That leaves it up to the States, according to the 10th.

You can't invent "rights" and then use the 14th to impose them upon the States.   Or actually.... now you can.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your reading is incorrect.  The 10th also reserves rights to the people.  If the right to be married is reserved to the people, then there's no problem.

The right to be married was "invented" way on back in 1888.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:26:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Your reading is incorrect.  The 10th also reserves rights to the people.  If the right to be married is reserved to the people, then there's no problem.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Utter nonsense.  There is nothing that has ever prohibited Gay people from going to THEIR churches or high priestesses or best friends or magic rocks, and declaring themselves to be married.

Usually we see the Bill of Rights as protecting the People FROM the government and government intrusion.  In THIS case we see a group of people are DEMANDING government intrusion and a government service AND a redefinition of the terms and parameters of that service.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:31:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Utter nonsense.  There is nothing that has ever prohibited Gay people from going to THEIR churches or high priestesses or best friends or magic rocks, and declaring themselves to be married.

Usually we see the Bill of Rights as protecting the People FROM the government and government intrusion.  In THIS case we see a group of people are DEMANDING government intrusion and a government service AND a redefinition of the terms and parameters of that service.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Churches don't determine who is and who is not married.  The government does that.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:33:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I don't care. At all.
View Quote

Does this bother you? Because I thought the original argument was all about not caring what people did behind closed doors...

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/06/21/exclusive-goldman-sachs-tells-employees-wife-insults-gays-and-transgenders/

It's not about gay marriage, it's about thought control.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:34:28 PM EDT
[#35]
The government should be out of the marriage business . If your church wants to marry you and your horse so be it .
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:39:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Churches don't determine who is and who is not married.  The government does that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So prior to the government getting involved in marriage, no one was married?   All those poor little bastard children spending eternity in government Limbo...

If you get married by a church in a foreign country and move to the United States, you aren't married until the US Government gives you its "blessing"?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't care. At all.

The same court that had Roberts write in one decision, "the context and structure of the act compel us to depart from what would otherwise be the most natural reading of the pertinent statutory phrase" and not 24 hours later, "under the Constitution, judges have power to say what the law is, not what it should be"?  That kind of extremely convoluted logic?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:43:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Sorry OP, you got that wrong in your zeal to bash Christians.  Marriage laws were put on the books for inheritance purposes.  Not everything is to keep the Back man down, sorry about that.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:45:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

^ this.

Wait until someone says that they "have a right to be free from gun violence."
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:48:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

So prior to the government getting involved in marriage, no one was married?   All those poor little bastard children spending eternity in government Limbo...

If you get married by a church in a foreign country and move to the United States, you aren't married until the US Government gives you its "blessing"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Government got itself involved in marriage way back in the day.  Since then, marriage has been a legal status, which means its determined by the government.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:52:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why are you so full of hate?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:57:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Government got itself involved in marriage way back in the day.  Since then, marriage has been a legal status, which means its determined by the government.  
View Quote

Are people from foreign countries who live outside the United States "married"?    
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:59:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure how the US determines marital status of foreigners.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:01:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:04:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to you, who is and is NOT married, is determined solely by the Government.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:04:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

According to you, who is and is NOT married, is determined solely by the Government.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, according to me, in this country marriage is a legal status which is defined by the government.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:16:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

No, according to me, in this country marriage is a legal status which is defined by the government.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is more to marriage than that.  

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:16:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed. I believe they gave the right answer to the wrong question.

The question should have been why the government was involved in marriage to begin with. By having to rule on the question brought before them, they had to choose one amendment over another, and that is a frighteningly bad precedent. No matter which way that ruling went down, it would have been choosing one amendment over another, and now it cannot be undone.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:20:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At its base level, it is a legal status.  People can attach more to it if they wish, such as moral or religious significance.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:30:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

At its base level, it is a legal status.  People can attach more to it if they wish, such as moral or religious significance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a status that transcends US Law and borders.  It did not come to exist via our legislatures.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top