Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/29/2015 9:25:38 AM EDT
This week we are experiencing an unusual event in the Netherlands.
Temperatures are expected to reach 104°F with peaks up to 108°F.

Summerheat tends to be here around 86°F.

Our house, which is stonebrick (level floor with kitchen, livingroom, office) is pretty cool.

Except for the 2nd level where the bathroom and the bedrooms are, there it is much warmer.

(warm air floats up?).

I've got a mobile airco in the office which I can lift upstairs, but it is pretty noisy.

Above the 2nd level is the attic where it gets really hot under the roof.

So, while not used to these high temperatures, I would like to know:

How do you guys try to lower temperatures in bedrooms?

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:29:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
This week we are experiencing an unusual event in the Netherlands.Temperatures are expected to reach 104°F with peaks up to 108°F.

Our house, which is stonebrick (level floor with kitchen, livingroom, office) is pretty cool.
Except for the 2nd level where the bathroom and the bedrooms are, there it is much warmer.
(warm air floats up?).

I've got a mobile airco in the office which I can lift upstairs, but it is pretty noisy.

View Quote

Window AC, use it.
Hydrate like a mofo. Seriously, if you're sweating, hydrate. Keep drinking. When you're physically active in the heat, you're going to want a bottle of water every 15 minutes or so. Add more salt to your diet. Stay in the shade, take lots of cold showers
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:30:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, central Air is a great thing to have in the Summers but baring that, fans. Cool clothing, (moisture wicking,) and plenty of cool showers. Drink lots of ice water.

Have access to a swimming pool? If so, spend time there as much as you can. The heat bothers me the most at night, if I'm sweating in the bed I can't sleep.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:31:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Spend summers in Northern New Hampshire .

You're welcome
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:34:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:34:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Hose down the outside of the house...

Evaporative cooling FTW...
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:37:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Those are normal summer temps here. We just crank up the AC and turn on the ceiling fans.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:38:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm in favor of summer heat, it was a high of 62 here yesterday.

The fucking north blows goats. Waited all winter for April weather.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:38:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sleep downstairs or outdoors.

Those screened in porches on old homes in the US had a purpose other than sitting free of insects, they were used for sleeping.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This week we are experiencing an unusual event in the Netherlands.Temperatures are expected to reach 104°F with peaks up to 108°F.

(warm air floats up?).

Those screened in porches on old homes in the US had a purpose other than sitting free of insects, they were used for sleeping.

Iraqis would sleep on their roof...

But yeah...open windows and hope for a breeze, man. Not much else to do. Buy some fans and get some air circulating.

This should be a thread full of yankees...most of us down south have central A/C. So...

I know in my visits to Germany when it got hot it was: Open all windows and turn on whatever fans you could.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:39:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:39:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

(warm air floats up?).

View Quote

I'd be hauling that AC upstairs. If you are used to 86, and it's going to peg 108, you aren't going to give a shit about the noise, trust me.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:40:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I just got a new 2.5 ton Heat Pump on the second floor, so, uh, that's how I do that.

When it was dead we used fans to keep the air moving out the windows. If it had gotten too bad we would've just slept down on the 1st floor.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:41:06 AM EDT
[#12]
It is 111 in Vegas today
So, my tip is: Don't go to Vegas in the summer.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:41:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Bond your balls.

Green container
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:43:30 AM EDT
[#14]
It is humidity as much as heat.

If you can lower the humidity, it will "feel" much cooler and be tolerable.  If you have a dehumidifier, run it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:44:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Those are normal summer temps here. We just crank up the AC and turn on the ceiling fans.
View Quote

This.  

Gotta say, 105 in the Netherlands????
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:45:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Window AC, use it.
Hydrate like a mofo. Seriously, if you're sweating, hydrate. Keep drinking. When you're physically active in the heat, you're going to want a bottle of water every 15 minutes or so. Add more salt to your diet. Stay in the shade, take lots of cold showers
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(warm air floats up?).

Window AC, use it.

This is probably the best info so far. I live in New Mexico, where 80 degree temps are actually a little low in the summer! Keep yourself full of water; get water sweetners (Kool-Aid, etc) so drinking water isn't so boring. Also, some of the people here on Arfcom say that Gatorade can make you feel less thirsty, and you will then drink less water. Try cutting the Gatorade (if you use it) 50% with water.

The only thing I would add is that you should try to ventilate the hot air out of your attic. You probably already have roof vents to do this; try to force the hot air out by putting a small fan on the vents. DRAW THE AIR OUT, rather than push air in. If you push cool air in to the attic, you may force the hot air into the house.

If you are going to use an air cooler upstairs, remember that it has a hot air exhaust; you must provide a way to push that hot air outside.

If instead you have an evaporative air cooler (also called a swamp cooler), it only works well if the air going in is very dry. Once the air in the room becomes damp, the evaporative air cooler becomes worthless. So consider bringing some hot, dry air from the outside in to the air cooler.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:48:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, if your houses upstairs rooms are not built to accommodate heat you are kinda screwed (especially if that heat comes with humidity).

Best to close up the windows after early morning to keep out the heat then open everything up in the evening and circulate the air with fans.

The upstairs bedrooms could end up being unusable, a lot of people that have older two story homes here in AZ just set up sleeping quarters in the lower levels if the heat becomes unmanageable upstairs (most newer homes all have central air conditioning that handle the heat just fine).

Your attic space should have ventilation and/or an attic fan to keep the air moving out of the attic and back out to the world.

Note the attic vent at the top of my house over the garage door, there are two more vents like this on the ends of the house, these keep the temps down in the attic space.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:50:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Ice and A/C as mentioned

Cook outside if possible and eat light (without cooking if possible Eg.  sandwich, salad, smoothie)

Get central A/C
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:06:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.  Also, stay in the coolest location you can find and do as little as possible in the heat of the day.  Moving air helps dramatically.  A good fan can reduce the perceived temp dramatically, especially if the humidity is high.
 If you're going to drink alcohol, drink stuff like Margarita and Daquiris.  Also, take a water break every 2-3 drinks to ensure hydration.  
 If you're going to be on your feet much, powder your ass, taint and inner thighs.  Chafing is a bitch.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:08:55 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

(warm air floats up?).

Sleeping downstairs is actually a very good idea. I can arrange that probably very easy!

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:10:58 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I'd be hauling that AC upstairs. If you are used to 86, and it's going to peg 108, you aren't going to give a shit about the noise, trust me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

(warm air floats up?).

I can sleep with any noise around, but we have a three year old that may be not. But we can try.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:15:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Damn OP, I bet the European climate change freaks are about to pass out over this one.  I'm sure our news outlets over here will pick this story up and twist it for political gain or just try to scare stupid people with it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:19:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:31:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(warm air floats up?).

This.  One summer in Iowa when I was growing up the AC went out mid July.  90-100 deg. days at 80-90% humidity.  There were two or three nights where the whole family camped out in the basement until the AC was fixed.

Barring that, if you have some big box fans you could try setting them up to exhaust out of the upper floor's windows, pulling the cool air up from downstairs.  Also closing the blinds/covering any windows the sun shines in during the day can help keep is a couple degrees cooler.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:38:29 AM EDT
[#25]
We never had a/c as a kid and lived in an old brick house.  That thing would get to be an oven in the mid summer.  Ceiling fans and window fans in the bedrooms.  Some nights it was just still too hot.  I remember plenty of times dad and I would sleep on air mattresses in the basement.  Dad also built me a killer treehouse and some nights I would sleep out in that on a cot.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:40:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

(warm air floats up?).

View Quote

window fans..

window ac..

thats about it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:41:50 AM EDT
[#27]
If your nights are cooling off decently enough, you can try sealing the house up with a running air conditioner during the day, then exhaust the heat at night with fans.  With a two level house the heat will naturally rise, so fans pointing inward on the ground floor and fans pointing out the second floor windows will ventilate fairly well.

Cover all windows during the day.

Check up on your old folks in particular.  They're more susceptible to heat related illness/injury and are often more stubborn about taking precautions, and they're the ones that DIE most frequently in heat waves.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:52:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Drink lots of Heineken and pass out
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:55:24 AM EDT
[#29]
That's some weird stuff, it's getting that hot in the Netherlands, but here in Central Texas, I don't think I've even seen it get to 95F yet. We're having an oddly cool year so far.

I'm heading out to Phoenix in a couple weeks... I'm sure I'll get some heat then!
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:13:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  

not seeing it
http://www.accuweather.com/en/nl/amsterdam/249758/daily-weather-forecast/249758
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:21:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Spend summers in Northern New Hampshire .

You're welcome
View Quote

Beat. But i was gonna' say Southern NH.
I went to a meeting of the Combat Veterans' Motorcycle Association (CVMA) yesterday and we had planned a ride around after.  No F'ing way! It was 55 and rainy.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:31:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Keep the curtains and blinds closed on the sunny side of the house during the day, and open the windows at night.

Stick the A/C in the bedroom, close the doors and windows, and run it for a few hours before you go bed or learn to sleep with it running.

Sleep downstairs.

Take a cold shower before going to bed.

Take one of those refreezable blue ice packs to bed with you.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:29:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Take a shower before bed, and don't dry yourself completely.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:34:31 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Take a shower before bed, and don't dry yourself completely.
View Quote
If he lives where there is humidity then he doesn't have a choice on getting completely dry after a shower - I've lived in places like that....

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:47:38 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Check up on your old folks in particular.  They're more susceptible to heat related illness/injury and are often more stubborn about taking precautions, and they're the ones that DIE most frequently in heat waves.
View Quote
This is very important.  http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/heat-exhaustion?page=1        http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/heat-stroke-symptoms-and-treatment

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:50:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Window mount A/C, fans, hydrate with sports drinks ("gatorade").

Salty food is gooooooodd.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:58:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Sleep outside on the porch..that is what my great grand parents did.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:05:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

In the Netherlands?  Ambient humidity FTL.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:08:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Nobody mentioned it yet. Wear no cotton, you'll be miserable. Free ball it in a bathing suit if you must.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:17:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No, Grolsh.

Quoted:
Nobody mentioned it yet. Wear no cotton, you'll be miserable. Free ball it in a bathing suit if you must.

Linen. And a lot of air circulating fans.

It doesn't get that hot here that often but it is miserable without A/C. Sleeping in the buff with a sheet on the bed and a fan blowing directly on me is the usual regimen.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:36:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Put some shades up on the OUTSIDE of windows that get sun.  Once the sunlight gets through the windows it is in to stay.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 4:11:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Well, it has started now for sure! Airco in the officearea of our house is running and one of us is sleeping downstairs. Inflatable pool in the garden and everything is shut to keep out the heat. It was already pretty hot today. Tomorrow will be worse, friday more worse and saturday will be probably a record heat. The hottest temperature recorded is 102ºF in 1944. We are expecting 106ºF saturday which is very unusual. Summer heat is often about 86ºF here.

Nice knowing you all!

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 4:16:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 4:21:51 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Certainly a hot one here in London, but I ain't complainin'
View Quote
What is the temperature in London today / this week?

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 4:39:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 4:44:56 PM EDT
[#46]
It's hot in wrightsville beach - muggy as well
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 4:46:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Well, it has started now for sure! Airco in the officearea of our house is running and one of us is sleeping downstairs. Inflatable pool in the garden and everything is shut to keep out the heat. It was already pretty hot today. Tomorrow will be worse, friday more worse and saturday will be probably a record heat. The hottest temperature recorded is 102ºF in 1944. We are expecting 106ºF saturday which is very unusual. Summer heat is often about 86ºF here.

Nice knowing you all!

View Quote

While I admire your country absolutely for it's beer, those are times that call for our pisswater chilled to where just a bit of ice forms when it's opened.  If by some chance you can find Miller Lite, that's my hot weather alcoholic spring water of choice.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 4:47:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'm in favor of summer heat, it was a high of 62 here yesterday.

The fucking north blows goats. Waited all winter for April weather.
View Quote

It has been pretty mild here (in south western OH)  for the past week or so as well.  I think our high today was about mid 70s, and in the past 5 days we have maybe got up close to 80, but normally been around here.  Hell we even had one day that the high was like 68, but it was a pretty rainy and cloudy day.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 4:50:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

i suspect the netherlands is going to be pretty humid, so that might not work well.

if the bedrooms are upstairs, remember to set fans up so that they pull the hot air out of the house, instead of trying to push cooler air into it.  that said, the guys who said window AC units are right.  $150-$200 is a very small price to pay for good sleep.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 4:52:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Is A/C one of those things that just not as common in other countries as it is here?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top