Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2015 1:34:45 AM EDT
Just about every thread will have a pic or two that I cant see, just a small pic of a piece of paper with corner folded down... Its been going on for a few weeks now and I cant take it any longer...  Ideas? Im using google chrome on a mac.. And No, I will not buy a PC...
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:53:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Stop using https.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:57:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stop using https.
View Quote

Forgive me ignorance..... but how does one do that?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:54:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine's been doing that, too. What browser? I use Firefox.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:14:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Mine's been doing that, too. What browser? I use Firefox.
View Quote

chrome...
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:34:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Does the URL in the address bar start with HTTPS:// and have a little lock near it? If it does they broke how the forum handles posted pictures. There are threads in the help section, but it appears this is intended behavior with no real reasoning behind it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:36:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Does the URL in the address bar start with HTTPS:// and have a little lock near it? If it does they broke how the forum handles posted pictures. There are threads in the help section, but it appears this is intended behavior with no real reasoning behind it.
View Quote

yes it does..... is there a solution? this site is now becoming less then enjoyable since half of the pics that are posted are un viewable.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:49:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Option 1: Remove the HTTPS and if you're using HTTPS everywhere disable the rule for this site. Lose any security gained by using HTTPS on this site.
Option 2: Open images individually and remove HTTPS.
Option 3: Make noise in help forum and maybe the site staff will change to a common sense approach. For the children.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:03:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Option 1: Remove the HTTPS and if you're using HTTPS everywhere disable the rule for this site. Lose any security gained by using HTTPS on this site.
Option 3: Make noise in help forum and maybe the site staff will change to a common sense approach. For the children.
View Quote

Pretend Im some guy off the street, and you need me to help with open heart surgery.. I have no Idea how to even begin to disable HTTPS, nor have a clue as to what the fuck it is.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:08:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Pretend Im some guy off the street, and you need me to help with open heart surgery.. I have no Idea how to even begin to disable HTTPS, nor have a clue as to what the fuck it is.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Does it say https before the www.arfcom.com//dildozer thread you are currently looking at?

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:12:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I know it's gotten aggravating as hell. I haven't changed anything on my end,  but half the pictures are being intentionally broken by this site.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:15:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I know it's gotten aggravating as hell. I haven't changed anything on my end,  but half the pictures are being intentionally broken by this site.
View Quote

So its not just me then?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:20:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't think that's the problem. When I quote the post, I can copy the image address and paste it into another tab. It displays the image. Some of the blocked images are from common sources like wikipedia.

I haven't changed any of my settings. I did allow a couple of updates from Apple and Mozilla. I've been wondering if one of the updates was bad.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:38:14 AM EDT
[#13]
The only way this would be good is during a cockalypse.  "Now with 50% less cock for your viewing pleasure."

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:41:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Stop using https.
View Quote

He already confessed to using a calculator to browse arfcom and is unwilling to step up. Don't confuse him.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:11:45 AM EDT
[#15]
So, this is what's happening.  There's two ways to surf most sites on the interwebz.  Http://, and HttpS://.  HTTPS is a secure, encrypted way of surfing, so only you, the website, and the NSA know what you're looking at.

Here's the problem.  A lot of websites don't support HTTPS, and they host a LOT of pictures.  A LOT.  ARFCOMmers post a lot of pictures from those websites.  The link we post in our posts to those pictures is HTTP://.  So, if you're surfing ARFCOM via HTTPS://, you won't see that picture, b/c that picture isn't secure.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:13:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's not "broken." A SSL certificate encrypts data sent to and from the website (www.ar15.com) however if an image is linked offsite and doesn't have an SSL certificate for it, it is then deemed unsecured and blocked. In other words, it's working perfectly fine.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:17:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I don't think that's the problem. When I quote the post, I can copy the image address and paste it into another tab. It displays the image. Some of the blocked images are from common sources like wikipedia.

I haven't changed any of my settings. I did allow a couple of updates from Apple and Mozilla. I've been wondering if one of the updates was bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not bad. You're simply cruising the secured version of the site. Disable or visit the unsecure site (http) though your apple may be forcing the https automatically. I'm sure there's a setting to disable that if you so choose.

This site does not have an automatic redirect so you can choose between one or the other. If you cannot choose, it's not the site, it is your browser.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:00:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It's not "broken." A SSL certificate encrypts data sent to and from the website (www.ar15.com) however if an image is linked offsite and doesn't have an SSL certificate for it, it is then deemed unsecured and blocked. In other words, it's working perfectly fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I very strongly disagree.

... When a person posts an image they specify the protocol of where the image lives whether it be HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, whatever. That's where the asset lives. They've verified it works.

Arfcom says, hey lets take that information given to us from the op of where the asset really lives and let's just completely change it so that we point to the protocol the client is browsing arfcom with which only sometimes the same and with HTTPS is quite often not where the asset lives. The wrong certificate stuff does happen on CDNs and such, but that isn't the underlying problem, at all. Overriding the known protocol is. Many many HTTPS forums work just fine by leaving links to external assets where they actually live. (And actually that's how this place worked up until a couple months ago, just fine.)
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:50:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

... When a person posts an image they specify the protocol of where the image lives whether it be HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, whatever. That's where the asset lives. They've verified it works.

Arfcom says, hey lets take that information given to us from the op of where the asset really lives and let's just completely change it so that we point to the protocol the client is browsing arfcom with which only sometimes the same and with HTTPS is quite often not where the asset lives. The wrong certificate stuff does happen on CDNs and such, but that isn't the underlying problem, at all. Overriding the known protocol is. Many many HTTPS forums work just fine by leaving links to external assets where they actually live. (And actually that's how this place worked up until a couple months ago, just fine.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
Those of us that know the difference between HTTP and HTTPS can chose to load or not load images from insecure sites without Arfcom trying to "help," and then messing things up for folks like the OP.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top