Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2015 12:39:19 AM EDT
I'm 30 years old, pretty healthy.

About a week ago, I started get 'chill-like' symptoms right before bed.  Started getting the shakes a bit, and felt feverish.  I fell asleep, felt fine the next day.  That next night I started getting the same symptoms, fell asleep, felt fine again the next day.

Then yesterday I went out with the wife and kid to a motor racing event, got home and started REALLY getting the chills and I checked my temp., and I was at 102 degrees.  I also got the gnarliest headache I have ever had, all in the front of my head and behind my eyes.

Thinking I was really dehydrated from being at the race, I started chugging water and downed 1.5 gallons within a few hours, but I could never get to sleep because I kept having to get up to take a piss.  Meanwhile my fever stays constant and my head continues to throb.

I end up taking a four hour hot bath (and I never take baths) during the middle of the night, still feel like crap.  I was hurting so bad I almost called 911 but thought better of it.

After the family was awake I went back into bed and fell asleep for a few hours, and woke up and my fever broke, and I was drenched in sweat but felt immediately better.  The chills/fever seem to be gone but my head is still throbbing and I've been taking Ibuprofen 600's and extra strength tylenol.  

I feel pretty good right now aside from the massive headache.  Wife is googling these symptoms and saying I have cancer, meningitis, tumors etc lol and she is all freaked out.  She is insisting a trip to the ER but every time I am there it is a 6 hour trip and we have a 2 year old with us, trying to avoid at all costs.

You guys think since the fever broke I am in the clear?  Im concerned about the headache, though.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:41:15 AM EDT
[#1]

Have your wife take you to the ER and then take your 2-year old back home.

Call her when you are done.

There.  Now you don't have to die and leave your wife a widow.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:42:02 AM EDT
[#2]
fpni
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:47:55 AM EDT
[#3]
dibs on guns and ammo
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:56:45 AM EDT
[#4]

I would just ride it out, but I'm not very wise.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:56:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:39:16 AM EDT
[#6]
GD....Medical advice you can count on.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:43:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
GD....Medical advice you can count on.
View Quote

I am actually surprised we haven't see a join date/post count post yet.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:46:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd go to the doctor's office Monday morning (call in to work) or go to an urgent care place if you have one of those around you.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:46:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like a viral infection.  I went through similar crap when I had mono a while back.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:21:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
fpni
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:13:40 AM EDT
[#11]
This could be anything from a mild bacterial infection to sepsis to viral or bacterial meningitis.

Jim Henson died from a completely treatable infection. he put off going to a doctor for two days. By then it was too late.

Go to Urgent Care, the ER, or see your doctor IMMEDIATELY. The next time you go to sleep, you could easily wake up dead. Really.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:16:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I wouldn't worry.  You'll either get over it or die.  If you get over it, its over.  If you die, well.....its over too.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:18:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This could be anything from a mild bacterial infection to sepsis to viral or bacterial meningitis.

Jim Henson died from a completely treatable infection. he put off going to a doctor for two days. By then it was too late.

Go to Urgent Care, the ER, or see your doctor IMMEDIATELY. The next time you go to sleep, you could easily wake up dead. Really.
View Quote

I don't think that's as easy as you make it out to be
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:18:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes, the OP should go to the ER with a headache.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:19:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

About a week ago, I started get 'chill-like' symptoms right before bed.  Started getting the shakes a bit, and felt feverish.  I fell asleep, felt fine the next day.  That next night I started getting the same symptoms, fell asleep, felt fine again the next day.

Then yesterday I went out with the wife and kid to a motor racing event, got home and started REALLY getting the chills and I checked my temp., and I was at 102 degrees.  I also got the gnarliest headache I have ever had, all in the front of my head and behind my eyes.

Thinking I was really dehydrated from being at the race, I started chugging water and downed 1.5 gallons within a few hours, but I could never get to sleep because I kept having to get up to take a piss.  Meanwhile my fever stays constant and my head continues to throb.

I end up taking a four hour hot bath (and I never take baths) during the middle of the night, still feel like crap.  I was hurting so bad I almost called 911 but thought better of it.

After the family was awake I went back into bed and fell asleep for a few hours, and woke up and my fever broke, and I was drenched in sweat but felt immediately better.  The chills/fever seem to be gone but my head is still throbbing and I've been taking Ibuprofen 600's and extra strength tylenol.  

I feel pretty good right now aside from the massive headache.  Wife is googling these symptoms and saying I have cancer, meningitis, tumors etc lol and she is all freaked out.  She is insisting a trip to the ER but every time I am there it is a 6 hour trip and we have a 2 year old with us, trying to avoid at all costs.

You guys think since the fever broke I am in the clear?  Im concerned about the headache, though.
View Quote

Sounds like Lymes.

Get it treated before if fucks up all your joints.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:22:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Sounds like Lymes.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like Lymes.

+1. Thinking the same thing.  Either go to the doctor or use the old fashioned method and begin drinking heavily.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top