Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/28/2015 6:58:03 PM EDT
I regularly carry IWB around the house, all day every day. We've got two children under the age of 3 and she has recently expressed some concern about the potential for an accidental discharge. I've looked around and the only instances of accidental discharge regarding holsters is either they were being inserted/removed from the holster when it happened, or the owner of the holster knew there was an issue with the holster but continued using it regardless.

Do any of you know of any stories of an accidental discharge while a firearm is properly holstered in a fully functioning, high quality holster? Sometimes I'll lay on my back on the floor or couch (I carry at the 3-4 range), or hunch over my son while tickling him or something, and these are the time she worries about. For the record, neither of the kids see or come in contact with the firearm, and the barrel is generally pointed the same direction as my right leg.

FYI, I carry a XDs .45 in a Theis IWB holster (https://theisholsters.com/productDetails.php?pcID=1). Both are in perfect working order, and I never holster/unholster while anyone else is around.

A study indicating 1 in 100M would be splendid.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:01:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Carried 1911s for over 20 years IWB, condition 1.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:04:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I have never heard of that happening, ever.  I have seen a fair number of NDs that occurred while drawing or reholstering, but modern guns don't just "go off".
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:05:52 PM EDT
[#3]
The pistol is not gonna fire if it's in a holster.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:13:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
This is what I've been saying!

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:16:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Carried 1911s for over 20 years IWB, condition 1.
View Quote

+1

...but if you need ARFCOM GD win an argument with your wife, you've already lost
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:16:55 PM EDT
[#7]
No pics, no care.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:17:26 PM EDT
[#8]
... pistols can be dangerous, yo

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:18:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I IWB with a P938 cocked and locked. I would not worry about IWB carry with an XD-S.

As long as you aren't finger fucking the gun or holstering and unholstering it unnecessarily, it isn't going to fire.

Tell your wife it's like a car. It isn't going anywhere until someone puts the key in the ignition and turns it. (If you drive one of the new fangled wireless key fob cars you have other issues I can't help with)
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:21:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't believe it can happen, with transfer bars in revolvers, inertia firing pins in hammer auto loaders, and safety triggers on striker fired autos.

Don't put me on a Jury where the accused says "It just went off!"
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:21:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Finger fucking it is the only thing thats gonna make it fire. Don't finger fuck it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:21:48 PM EDT
[#12]
This would be news to me.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:23:27 PM EDT
[#13]
your firearm will not go off unless it is loaded and you are playing around with the trigger...
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:23:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Didn't a pilot have an A.D. in the cockpit?

I didn't say N.D. because he was required to lock the pistol on landing and take-off.
A .gov induced discharge. Don't fuck with loaded guns unless it is necessary.
Stupid .gov rules.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:23:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I like the Comp-Tac C-Tac(only one I have used for 11 years) because the retention is adjustable, but if the one you speak of has good retention in or out of your pants, I cannot imagine a unintended discharge from in the holster.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:24:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just asked my wife if she had the same fear when our kids were little. She said "no, because I knew the only way the gun was going to fire was by pulling the trigger"
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:28:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I saw a article about some cop having a AD with a Glock in a old leather pancake holster. The holster was so wore out that the leather had molded into the trigger guard and one time while the cop was moving or sitting the gun went off
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#18]
The gun wont just fire itself. Ive heard of a couple of stories of banging a loaded glock 19 and 17 and having a ND...one story on here obe with a friend.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:31:51 PM EDT
[#19]
You carry IWB around the house, all day every day? I would relocate to a better neighborhood.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:32:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The gun wont just fire itself. Ive heard of a couple of stories of banging a loaded glock 19 and 17 and having a ND...one story on here obe with a friend.
View Quote

details?  any mods done to the trigger?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:32:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can you elaborate on what you are saying? I've dropped both of these guns several times accidentally on various surfaces from different heights and neither have ever ND.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:33:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I saw a article about some cop having a AD with a Glock in a old leather pancake holster. The holster was so wore out that the leather had molded into the trigger guard and one time while the cop was moving or sitting the gun went off
View Quote

As I've said before.  A good holster is your best friend.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:34:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:35:41 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote

I'm not saying this didn't happen.  But modern firearms are not suppose to this.

As said before, any mods done to the trigger assembly?

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:36:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Probably just doing his first desk pop.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:38:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Nevermind.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:40:21 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm 40,been shooting since I was 5,so I have a few minutes behind a trigger.

I carry a striker fired semi in condition 0.5 (chambered, decocked, no safety, SA/DA).

The ONLY time I have ever seen a firearm discharge is when the operator pulled the bang switch. No AD's, but I've seen plenty of ND's.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:40:45 PM EDT
[#28]
I know of one when the lanyard on a knife got inside the holster and wrapped around the trigger.  Guy pulled the knife out of his pocket and bang.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:40:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Can you elaborate on what you are saying? I've dropped both of these guns several times accidentally on various surfaces from different heights and neither have ever ND.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what I read from the guy on here, he had a gen 2 glock 17. His cat got scared or something and knocked the gun off of the counter in his kitchen causing an AD. I guess he could have been full of it but thats the story I remember. Ive heard of stuff like that happening with the second gen glocks, but thats the only story ive actually heard.

Friend was reloading and knocked a gen 3 glock 19 off his table causing a discharge. I dont know why he would lie about hos story so i just believed him. Put a hole in his wall.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:41:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I regularly carry IWB around the house, all day every day. We've got two children under the age of 3 and she has recently expressed some concern about the potential for an accidental discharge. I've looked around and the only instances of accidental discharge regarding holsters is either they were being inserted/removed from the holster when it happened, or the owner of the holster knew there was an issue with the holster but continued using it regardless.

Do any of you know of any stories of an accidental discharge while a firearm is properly holstered in a fully functioning, high quality holster? Sometimes I'll lay on my back on the floor or couch (I carry at the 3-4 range), or hunch over my son while tickling him or something, and these are the time she worries about. For the record, neither of the kids see or come in contact with the firearm, and the barrel is generally pointed the same direction as my right leg.

FYI, I carry a XDs .45 in a Theis IWB holster (https://theisholsters.com/productDetails.php?pcID=1). Both are in perfect working order, and I never holster/unholster while anyone else is around.

A study indicating 1 in 100M would be splendid.
View Quote

Have your wife email mine (IM me if you want her email).  My kids have been climbing all over me and my holstered pistol for almost 9 years.

In the holster, its no more dangerous than a cell phone.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:42:05 PM EDT
[#31]
There's an interesting video of a Taurus out there which seems to go off if you shake it enough lol
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:42:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Literally the only way modern firearms can discharge is a trigger pull. 99.9% of modern firearms have some sort of safety to prevent discharge by any other means. Of course, the greatest safety is between your ears

Try sitting her down and show her the internals. What part interacts with what part in order for a cartridge to be fired. Guns are simple mechanical tools, nothing more.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:44:05 PM EDT
[#33]
I carry Springfield M 9 or the 1911-45 cocked and locked.  With my Shadow Holster (site partner) the safety is protected. No way it can fire.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:44:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You carry IWB around the house, all day every day? I would relocate to a better neighborhood.
View Quote

I carry from the moment I roll out of bed every day.  We live in an upscale neighborhood in an upscale part of town.  I generally drive german cars starting with a "P".

Random acts of violence are, by definition, random.  I have no interest in being a statistic.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:45:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I didn't say N.D. because he was required to lock the pistol on landing and take-off.
Stupid .gov rules.
View Quote

Still an N.D!!!  He had his finger on the trigger!!  
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:46:05 PM EDT
[#36]
MAC has a video of a pistol sitting on a table that drops it's hammer.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:47:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

From what I read from the guy on here, he had a gen 2 glock 17. His cat got scared or something and knocked the gun off of the counter in his kitchen causing an AD. I guess he could have been full of it but thats the story I remember. Ive heard of stuff like that happening with the second gen glocks, but thats the only story ive actually heard.

Friend was reloading and knocked a gen 3 glock 19 off his table causing a discharge. I dont know why he would lie about hos story so i just believed him. Put a hole in his wall.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. Sometimes people react by reaching for the falling gun which could cause a ND not sure if that was the case in either of these. I seem to recall the first story you posted about can't recall if it was something unique to early model Glocks though.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:51:50 PM EDT
[#38]
How about you tell your wife to shut the hell up.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:52:12 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote

Would you like a list of killers and home invaders that operate in the best of neighborhoods?

If so, let's start with the BTK killer.  A good neighborhood is no protection against break ins.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:52:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stupid .gov rules.

No, he was inserting a lock, required by .gov through a hole in the holster to block the trigger. I guess the handgun was not properly inserted
into the holster, or a poor design, but if it wasn't required to be locked/unlocked, there wouldn't have been a problem
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:55:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
How about you tell your wife to shut the hell up.
View Quote

So, how's being alone working out for you?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:57:51 PM EDT
[#42]
This is now a 1911 thread
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:10:36 PM EDT
[#44]
I was in a class once when a Fire Marshal on the front row leaned back and his Browning Hi Power fell from the holster and clattered to the floor.  The whole back of the room was assholes and elbows trying to get out of the line of fire. When the commotion stopped and everyone realized that nothing had happened, then his wife, also a Fire Marshal, started beating the hell out of him.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:10:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm 40,been shooting since I was 5,so I have a few minutes behind a trigger.

I carry a striker fired semi in condition 0.5 (chambered, decocked, no safety, SA/DA).

The ONLY time I have ever seen a firearm discharge is when the operator pulled the bang switch. No AD's, but I've seen plenty of ND's.
View Quote

I have seen two other scenarios.

A very bad trigger job on a HK clone that would fire with enough flex on the lower receiver. I've also seen rounds cooked off, but that is impossible in a IWB carry situation as the carrier would have seared the flesh of his hip by that point.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I carry from the moment I roll out of bed every day.  We live in an upscale neighborhood in an upscale part of town.  I generally drive german cars starting with a "P".

Random acts of violence are, by definition, random.  I have no interest in being a statistic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never seen someone do proud to drive a VW Polo.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:13:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The pistol is not gonna fire if it's in a holster trigger isnt pressed while its safeties are disengaged .
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:23:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Stupid .gov rules.
View Quote

Solely because the stupid Fed-Designed/Demanded Holster REQUIRED him to put a padlock through the triggerguard of the stupid thing
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:26:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

We had IIRC 6 ND's with G-23's (and one 1911 ) over the years...EVERY singe one was complacency, including mine with the Glocks, again EVERY one was dropping the striker to disassemble it (Rack slide, remove magazine..BANG) None cause any injury or damage other than cosmetic because the other safety rules were followed.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:27:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top