Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/28/2015 12:03:49 PM EDT
I had some kids from the church on a camp this weekend. Yesterday about 2:00 we had a severe gust of wind for about 30 seconds. It destroyed my canopy. it also shredded my Hillary cabin tent. I want something I can stand in easily. At least 6 man but 8 or 10 would be better. Something with a rain fly that does what it is intended to do. I like cabin tents. So let's here it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:05:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to WalMart....sped as your wallet will allow.

I spent right at two years camping off of my motorcycle with a Ozark tent. Never got wet, not one issue.

Best $50 tent I have ever owned.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:08:57 PM EDT
[#2]
If you can spare the money and have the crew, the semi-common command post tents that are turning up are very sturdy. They also require more than one person to set up, and you do need to keep up on the frames.

Here's a manufacturer's site.  Again, "surplus" is the key.  The one I've dealt with ran ~$600.00, and required some minor tweaking.

http://www.outdoorventure.com/tent_systems_mcp.php
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:12:37 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have some cash to spend and want the absolute best in cabin tents........

Kirkham's Outdoor Products in Salt Lake City, Utah has your tent.

Bombproof.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:13:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Gunnison
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:19:50 PM EDT
[#5]
The REI "Kingdom" series is pretty nice.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:20:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:20:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Good tent, but not a pack tent...Oztent RV series. I've got the RV2 and RV5, extremely fast setup, waterproof, but they don't pack down small, that's for sure. One man portable though, so still lightweight.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:13:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Big agnes tensleep 6 or big agness big house 6 I have a tensleep 6 it's an amazing tent for car camping
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:24:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Big agnes tensleep 6 or big agness big house 6 I have a tensleep 6 it's an amazing tent for car camping
View Quote

What is "car camping"?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:26:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Man up...

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I spent right at two years camping off of my motorcycle with a Ozark tent. Never got wet, not one issue.

View Quote

The problem with their tents is the rain fly does not do what a rain fly should do. If I have to spend 3-7 days with a bunch of kids on camp outs (3 or 4 times a year) I want to be sure I'm dry, clean and have room for gear. IMHO a 8 man tent is about right for two with cots & gear.

There were a ton of the k-mart and walmart tents that went down through the field this weekend. I was doing security at the camp and there were many who complained that they were wet. Bags, beds, clothes and everything else they had in the ozark tents. The one I had was dry after 4 days of rain, some very heavy rain, until the wind came along It was 12 or 13 years old. I want another one just as good.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:29:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I really like the Coleman instant tent. I've used mine at least 20 times so far in all sorts of weather with no issues.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:30:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
What is "car camping"?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What is "car camping"?

It's what 99.9% of campers do.

Pull up to your site, unload, set up camp.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:31:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

http://www.bz1-img.com/images_customers/08/63/25064953_180101_full.jpg
View Quote

REI makes awesome tents.  I have their half dome for solo trips.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:40:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Another one for the REI Kingdom tent.  I have one and it is a VERY high quality tent.  Used it about 10 times so far when going camping with the family.  

It's also nice and (relatively) light weight.  Comes with a great zippered compartmentalized case as well.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:40:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The problem with their tents is the rain fly does not do what a rain fly should do. If I have to spend 3-7 days with a bunch of kids on camp outs (3 or 4 times a year) I want to be sure I'm dry, clean and have room for gear. IMHO a 8 man tent is about right for two with cots & gear.

There were a ton of the k-mart and walmart tents that went down through the field this weekend. I was doing security at the camp and there were many who complained that they were wet. Bags, beds, clothes and everything else they had in the ozark tents. The one I had was dry after 4 days of rain, some very heavy rain, until the wind came along It was 12 or 13 years old. I want another one just as good.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't speak on authority about that large of a tent, but you are right on about rain flys. It has to be a full fly or its worthless. I'd also bet none of the people who owned those tents used any kind of seam sealer beforehand.

As far as tent brands, I've always loved my Kelty. REI's store brand is quality as well.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:43:07 PM EDT
[#17]

The  Eureka Timberline SQ Outfitter 6 is 6'4" in the center.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:43:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a Cabelas Alaknak 12x20.
It's totally dry during a rainstorm and there is plenty of room inside.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:47:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Kifaru or Titanium Goat tipis are nice, especially if you plan on carrying it very far
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:52:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

http://www.bz1-img.com/images_customers/08/63/25064953_180101_full.jpg
View Quote

They are nice.....HOWEVER.......they suck at wind.  I have one.  It's roomy.  But it sucks at wind.  My backpacking tents do much better, but they do better at everything besides space.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:04:37 PM EDT
[#21]
That's like "camping" in a 5th wheel without the wheels camping
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:10:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Beat me to it. Going to need another half, plus stakes and rope, though.

(I use a late-WW2-to-Korea-ish example, dark OD and has the triangular extensions on both ends so it can be closed all the way up)
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:17:05 PM EDT
[#23]
I just bought a Cabela's West Wind Tent.  Seems really nice but have not used it yet.  There are a lot of cheap shitty tents out there so beware.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:49:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Not the cheapest nor the lightest, but your asking for a robust tent, that will take some punishment and weather a sustained wind.

How about the Eureka mil tents?

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 4:40:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I can't speak on authority about that large of a tent, but you are right on about rain flys. It has to be a full fly or its worthless. I'd also bet none of the people who owned those tents used any kind of seam sealer beforehand.

As far as tent brands, I've always loved my Kelty. REI's store brand is quality as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I've observed with the ozarks and kmart tents is when the fly gets damp or wet it sags against the tend and then moisture seeps through. Kind of like a rain forest inside when that happens
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:00:25 PM EDT
[#26]
The big agnes tensleep I have is about 16 lbs packed so I only use it when I don't have to lug it far thats why i call it good for car camping which is the when i pack all the extra luxuries because im not concerend about weight and will be close to my truck when i stay at state parks and campgrounds and I'm not out on the trail.   I like the tensleep because i am 6'1 and can stand in it and it is still domed shaped and it works well in wind and rain.  It also has two vestibules the front one is really cool because it large enough to set some chairs up in it. I have a nemo losi 3 p tent that i use for backpacking.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:21:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Tall and wind sturdy don't generally go together in a tent. A fly is only necessary for tents designed in that manner, as opposed to the following options which are the way only one I can think of that fit the OP criteria.

A canvas wedge tent of civil war era and a tipi both deal well with wind when properly pitched. They're durable and quite waterproof when of good quality and maintained properly.

A tipi, while being a pain to transport and set up, is the best tent to live in that I've used. You can get a draft in the summer or have a fire in the winter.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Alaskan arctic oven. Bomb proof 4 season tent
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:08:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is one awesome looking tent. A little more than I'd like to pay for one however.

That would make one great SHTF get away wouldn't it?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:13:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Shelter half.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:19:30 PM EDT
[#31]
I have 3 different Ozark Trail tents from Wallyworld and all 3 have survived numerous severe and even tornadic storms during motorcycle rallies with no leaking or broken poles.  They are very good tents for the $$$
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:25:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Teepees stand up well in high winds.  Pyramid tents also work well.  Panther primitive is the place to by one of these.  Been to a number of mountain man rendezvous where storms went through where modern camping gear collapsed or blew away and the old stuff stayed up and usable.  Canvas is heavy and setting up a Teepee needs more that one man.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:30:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Teepees stand up well in high winds.  Pyramid tents also work well.  Panther primitive is the place to by one of these.  Been to a number of mountain man rendezvous where storms went through where modern camping gear collapsed or blew away and the old stuff stayed up and usable.  Canvas is heavy and setting up a Teepee needs more that one man.
View Quote

I have a Marquee from Panther Primitive that I use for rendezvous. It is a little more than I need for the camps I am talking about. You are right though, I love the tent. I have a stove and the works for in it. Was at a outing in mid April her in Pa. It was cold. The inside of the shelter was above 70 all the time with the stove running
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:33:48 PM EDT
[#34]
I kind of like he looks of the Big Agnes, maybe the tensleep station 6. Are there any deals out there that anybody is aware of?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:45:10 PM EDT
[#35]
I just bought the Cabelas west wind 6 person.  It was huge and went up quick.  It has a full rain fly along with a vestibule that came in very handy when it rained on us.  We could get stuff out of the rain, yet it wasn't in the way inside the tent.  It comes in an 8 person also.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:58:45 PM EDT
[#36]
I have always had good luck with Eureka tents.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:11:20 PM EDT
[#37]
In before someone says to spend over $500 for a Kifaru pup tent or tipi

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:17:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Get a tent from a reputable manufacturer and you'll be happy.  As others have suggested: Kelty, Eureka, Big Agnes, and REI and Cabelas house-brand tents.  Figure out what you want to use it for and what sorts of temperatures.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:24:15 PM EDT
[#39]
I have an REI tent that is over 20 years old.   I think it was the Half Dome but it doesn't look like the one on the website now.  No problems so far and I'm sure that they have gotten better since then.  After our son was born we added an REI Base Camp 4 to the line up.  Nice and roomy. If the maker has a footprint tarp available, consider it to make your floor last longer.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:27:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That has more usable space and amenities than the efficiency apartment I rented for 3 years in med school.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:20:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That is one awesome looking tent. A little more than I'd like to pay for one however.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This tent is bad A. It would work great for that, it Is a little pricey tho but the quality is top notch.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:25:13 AM EDT
[#42]
check out "steep and cheap" and "sierra trading company"
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:37:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Kifaru or Titanium Goat tipis are nice, especially if you plan on carrying it very far
View Quote

+1. Native Americans utilized the tipi shape for a reason.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:51:39 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol. Ok.

2 man eureka tent is smaller and lighter and cheaper

Nobody wants to spend $500 for a small pup tent or $1k to suit OP needs

We had old 2 man eureka tents in the Marines. The one I had survived an entire night of horizontal rain and 50+ mph gusts in Hawaii
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:01:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Lol. Ok.

We had old 2 man eureka tents in the Marines. The one I had survived an entire night of horizontal rain and 50+ mph gusts in Hawaii
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol. Ok.

Good for you. Sounds like a thrilling story. I can understand someone not wanting to pay the money but it is hard to argue with the tipi design. It wasn't their "tent", it was their home.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:07:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Check out Kirkhams, an outfit out of salt lake city.  Amazing stand alone single wall canvas  designs.  They originated and are now being copied by others.  they aren't for backpacking and have other limitations such as needing to be staked but they kick ass for car/base camping.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:09:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I had some kids from the church on a camp this weekend. Yesterday about 2:00 we had a severe gust of wind for about 30 seconds. It destroyed my canopy. it also shredded my Hillary cabin tent. I want something I can stand in easily. At least 6 man but 8 or 10 would be better. Something with a rain fly that does what it is intended to do. I like cabin tents. So let's here it.
View Quote

REI...Coleman exponent series are good budget tents.
Kelty...
But the eureka timber line series are solid tents.

I run a wind canyon iirc by Coleman ...60inches center fits me...wife...kid...dog and gear. Its 11 lbs...which if load split puts it sub 5 lbs (if kid carries the poles..stakes etc) ...
But if I'm humping it in....its. silnylon tarp fir me...fuck a tent.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:12:40 AM EDT
[#48]
My Cabelas Outfitter Series tent is awesome in high winds. It is a bit of an undertaking to set it up but if done properly can withstand extremely high winds. It also can be set up in the rain without getting the main tent wet, the fly goes on the frame first. Mine is a 4 man but it would be very cozy with 4 adults.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:14:42 AM EDT
[#49]

http://www.eurekatent.com/
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:26:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Eureka Timberline. 7 years Scout camping with this model. 4 man for the kids, usually 2 to a tent but used them as a 4 man on a Canadian canoe trip. Adults get the 6 man pictured in the Outfitter series. We have been on Matagorda Island with sustained 20-30 kt winds and they held up just fine. All of the other folks tents with the fiberglass poles were blown to pieces. We usually got 4 years out of these before any repairs were needed, the adult 6 man much longer as they are heavy duty. Backpackable.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top