Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2015 10:08:43 AM EDT
Has anyone ever compared their DIY/rug doctor carpet cleaning efforts to hiring a pro to case their house clean their carpet?  

Did the pros really do a better job?  Worth it for the cost?  

Yes, It'll probably get replaced with wood eventually even though I hate wood floors.  I hate carpet about equally though.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:11:59 AM EDT
[#1]
stanley steamer blows.    I use a small amount of bleach mixed with the soap and freakin HOT water in a rented rug doctor.  works well.  no I haven't bleached out the carpet.  learned it from you tube
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:17:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Truck mount steam cleaning is no comparison to rug doctor rental type equipment. Do the rental carpet cleaners work? Sure, but only the surface is cleaned because there is not a combination of enough pressure, vacuum and cleaning solution. I used to own a carpet cleaning business many years ago and speak from experience and training. Seriously, there is no comparison to the truck mount cleaning methods and do-it-yourself rental carpet cleaning equipment IMO.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:28:10 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Truck mount steam cleaning is no comparison to rug doctor rental type equipment. Do the rental carpet cleaners work? Sure, but only the surface is cleaned because there is not a combination of enough pressure, vacuum and cleaning solution. I used to own a carpet cleaning business many years ago and speak from experience and training. Seriously, there is no comparison to the truck mount cleaning methods and do-it-yourself rental carpet cleaning equipment IMO.
View Quote
Guilty,

How often do you recommend cleaning your carpets?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:41:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

My Dad also had a carpet cleaning business, and i was his off n on helper. You really can't beat the pro's with the trucks but he was not a fan of steam cleaning.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:45:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:46:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Go with the pro.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:51:50 AM EDT
[#7]
oh....   that carpet..

Nevermind.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:03:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Guilty,    How often do you recommend cleaning your carpets?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guilty,    How often do you recommend cleaning your carpets?

I'm curious to know this as well.  We try to do DIY cleaning at least once a year but it's getting to the point where the before and after isn't quite as impressive.  I'd like to think we take above average care of our carpet but there's no escaping the fact that it is 1.  very lightly colored and 2.  it's 4 years old.

Sounds like it's time to give a pro a shot.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:07:12 PM EDT
[#9]
2x per year will extend your carpet life. I would suggest a minimum of 1x per year, and maybe 2x for the heavy traffic areas depending on use, wear and age of carpet.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:11:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I rented a Rug Doctor once.  It made my carpet look better for a few weeks.  Then it looked like crap again.  I use an awesome pro company now.  I only have to have them come in every 9-12 months.
They move the furniture, they clean, they put the furniture up on little foam blocks while the carpet dries, and they even comb the carpet to fluff up the nap or whatever you call it.  The carpet looks almost new when they're done.

They even cleaned up a spot where my wife dropped and broke an entire bottle of red wine.  It looks like nothing ever happened there.

Once they're done, I turn on all the ceiling fans, crank the AC down several degrees, and run my basement dehumidifier in the middle of the living room.  The carpets are dry in less than 4 hours.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:11:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
2x per year will extend your carpet life. I would suggest a minimum of 1x per year, and maybe 2x for the heavy traffic areas depending on use, wear and age of carpet.
View Quote

Yup,  if there's one thing carpets love it's moisture
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:30:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Use the Rug Doctor and add some chemicals to raise the PH level and it works f'n great. Just make sure you extract as much moisture as possible as quickly as you can.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:37:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Use the Rug Doctor and add some chemicals to raise the PH level and it works f'n great. Just make sure you extract as much moisture as possible as quickly as you can.
View Quote

Such as?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top