Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2015 1:34:32 AM EDT
$2800 later we have completed surgery to remove and entire large rope toy from his guts. He is now recovering.  I could have bought a 50 cal.  

He tested my love at that price.

Post Surgery

Pre Surgery
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:36:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Rope toys belong in the trash can next to the AKs.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:38:14 AM EDT
[#2]
You know it was worth it.

And yeah, no rope toys.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:41:03 AM EDT
[#3]
He eats everything.  socks, underwear, keys, whatever.  Apparently a fist sized knot in a 1" rope can kill him though.

My wife has made arrangements to keep things further away from him, but I don't know how to entertain him.  Maybe a gigantic raw hide.??.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:42:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a 4 foot long knotted rope that I use to play tug of war with. They haven't eaten it yet. Am I too late. Should I burn?

Rope that is. Not doge's
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:43:34 AM EDT
[#5]
The price of unconditional loyalty.  A fair price to pay to keep a (stupid) friend around.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:57:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Scott_In_OKC's Rule #0 of dogs - You can't stop a dog from being a dog.

Dogs eat stupid things, the best you can do is try to limit the things they have access to.  My ex had a bulldog that ate rocks, the little bastard sucked up pebbles like a vacuum cleaner.  One time he ate too many and couldn't pass them.  Vet had to cut him open and pull them out along with a GI Joe head and I'm not talking one of those little 3 3/4" Joes.  A head from a full sized 12" GI Joe.  Who knows where the hell he got that.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:03:56 AM EDT
[#7]
So the dog is still alive, or it died after surgery?

Either way, that's more than I would shell out for my dog. He didn't come cheap, but with a short life like his will be the replacement cost looks more attractive every day. Glad someone out there has more of a heart than I do.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:07:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I guess I'm just lucky never to have had a dog that would eat random non digestible things.
Sucks that yours did, but at least you did right by him.
Would have been a horrible way to go.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:08:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Either way, that's more than I would shell out for my dog. He didn't come cheap, but with a short life like his will be the replacement cost looks more attractive every day. Glad someone out there has more of a heart than I do.
View Quote

You measure your dog's life vs. replacement cost?

Dude.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:26:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

He is alive.  Recovering and eating some stupid expensive food the vet had us buy that will be easy on his hacked up guts.

Oh well, life could be worse.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:40:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Dogs eat stupid things, the best you can do is try to limit the things they have access to.  My ex had a bulldog that ate rocks, the little bastard sucked up pebbles like a vacuum cleaner.  One time he ate too many and couldn't pass them.  Vet had to cut him open and pull them out along with a GI Joe head and I'm not talking one of those little 3 3/4" Joes.  A head from a full sized 12" GI Joe.  Who knows where the hell he got that.
View Quote

I like rule #0 it makes sense
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:44:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Don't leave dog toys accessible to the dog unsupervised.  That's all I got.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:51:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorta gotta laugh at this.
My dawg sleeps in the room where all my firearms, ammo, reloading components, tools, and gear is.
He could really do some damage to himself and my bank account if he was so inclined.
Saving grace is he's now 9 years old, way past the "let's chew on it to see if it's worthy" stage.

OP, how old is your dog?
Young ones (like humans) tend to be more problematic.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:01:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My dawg sleeps in the room where all my firearms, ammo, reloading components, tools, and gear is.
He could really do some damage to himself and my bank account if he was so inclined.
Saving grace is he's now 9 years old, way past the "let's chew on it to see if it's worthy" stage.

OP, how old is your dog?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP, how old is your dog?

My dogs have always known what they were allowed to play with, and what they were not allowed to play with.  They were allowed to play with their toys.  Some of their toys, the ones that could kill them if they swallowed them, weren't accessible to them unless I was present.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:19:31 AM EDT
[#15]
So they 'knew' cause they couldn't get them?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:28:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

OP, how old is your dog?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP, how old is your dog?

Don't be so sure.  Mine is 11 years old.  Never had problems eating things.  In one month she went nuts and got into everything.  Even stuff she has had access to for years.

Power bars, packets of taco seasoning, paintballs (she actually opened the container), SOS pads with soap, the cardboard boxes screws come in (I don't think she ate any screws), etc.  

I'm pretty sure she is back to normal now.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:28:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Sorry MotorMouth, didn't mean to make it seem I was laughing at you and your rules.
I was laughing at the fact that if my guy were to take it into his mind to be destructive, the swath of devastation would be wide, deep, and total.

On another note, if I had toys that I felt were dangerous for him to have without my supervision, he would never have them at all.
The fear that I might make a mistake and leave something out that he could hurt himself on would make me err on the side of caution.

NOTE:
NEVER leave a towel on the refrigerator door!
It tends to make up for the lack of opposable thumbs for smarter dogs.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:35:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So they 'knew' cause they couldn't get them?
View Quote

No.  They learn which things are theirs and which are not.  My things, the dogs won't touch.  Their things they can do whatever they want with them, if they have access.

For example, I can leave my dinner on the floor and leave the room, and the dogs won't touch it.

ETA:  The toys they can't swallow are left out.  The toys they can swallow are out up unless I am there playing with the dogs.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:43:05 AM EDT
[#19]
They are just like our kids,,, almost. lol I can be having a real bad day and feel like shit but as soon as
I see that tail wagging and her turning in circles I can't help but smile. I personally would be afraid to
even let my dog play with a toy that could hurt it or kill it even under my supervision. If it was to get choked
on it I am afraid I could not remove it before it was to late. Plus we have one of them "Kentucky Alligators".
I don't think I would have any fingers left if I put my fingers in her mouth especially when she was in distress.
I think you made the right decision and should be proud you did it. Yep, That is a big chunk of change but I spent
close to $1,000 on my kids dog once and 2 days later the damn thing run out in the road and got hit and killed
while I was at work. Talking about PISSED. lol Take care
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:45:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Sorry MotorMouth, didn't mean to make it seem I was laughing at you and your rules.
I was laughing at the fact that if my guy were to take it into his mind to be destructive, the swath of devastation would be wide, deep, and total.

On another note, if I had toys that I felt were dangerous for him to have without my supervision, he would never have them at all.
The fear that I might make a mistake and leave something out that he could hurt himself on would make me err on the side of caution.

NOTE:
NEVER leave a towel on the refrigerator door!
It tends to make up for the lack of opposable thumbs for smarter dogs.

View Quote

No apology necessary.  Dogs are individuals, and some of them never learn regardless of what you do, and you're right, you've got to look out for them, because doggy brains can only take them so far.

If there is some item you don't ever want your dog to take an interest in, you tell them no when they do take an interest, but never act possessive of it.  You just act as if that this is just the way it is.  I can touch it, the dog can't. If the dog is told no, and doesn't see the item as a prize, they'll lose interest quickly and permanently, IME.  

A friend of mine had a lab at his frat house.  They rescued him from the dumpster in the alley behind their frat house.  Anyway, they taught him to fetch beer from the fridge, and would let him have some beer as a reward.  Well that dog got to really liking beer, and would get drunk.  Eventually, they decided for the dog's health and their beer supply to chain the fridge door shut.  They came home one day to find the dog drunk, and the fridge door ripped off from the hinge side.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:47:31 AM EDT
[#21]
you did a good thing...i had a dog die of something similar because a vet messed up...
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 4:10:20 AM EDT
[#22]
For the record, he is two years old.  He is very stupid (as in doesn't care to listen much), but loyal and nice.  I never thought there was such a thing as a dumb dog until I got him.  He just doesn't get it.  I hope one day he grows up, but it doesn't look like it is going to happen anytime soon.

The black dog on the right (rott/poodle) is very obedient.  No, yes, don't touch, come here, go over there, stand still, etc.  The black dog will also attack on command, attack anything, so one has to be careful with that command.  He is getting older now though and can't whip too many things.  If a full blown rott is anything like my mix in personality I will buy a pure one next.

The rope eater (bernard/poodle) barely knows how to sit and even then doesn't care, his largest concern in life is getting pets and making sure to be in the same room as someone.  He doesn't want to be taught anything, doesn't care, no way no how.  We are thinking we need to run him more and burn him out some, so my wife is adjusting her work schedule to run him in the mornings.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 4:12:31 AM EDT
[#23]
When your dog gets better, buy multiple Kong chew toys:

Then buy some smooth peanut butter.  Smear a couple of dabs up inside each kong toy.  Then place them in the freezer overnight.  Then to keep the dog occupied given him one of the kong toys out of the freezer.  

The frozen peanut butter does two things, makes it harder to lick, and harder for it to inadvertently come off and end of on the carpet or the upholstery.

I say get multiple kong toys so you can keep them in rotation overnight in the freezer, and they always get temporarily lost under the bed or sofa.

EDIT: larger sections of deer and elk antler work too, it's just that there are expensive from the pet store.  Cheapest place I have ever found, ironically enough, is Gander Mountain.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 4:39:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Your post makes it seem like he died after surgery.

Confusing post is confusing.

Glad dag is O.K.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 4:59:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Your post makes it seem like he died after surgery.

Confusing post is confusing.

Glad dag is O.K.
View Quote

Changed the wording.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 5:30:27 AM EDT
[#26]
My labtard got a bowel infection from eating something in my kitchen garbage can.  They can get expensive.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:33:43 AM EDT
[#27]
try the all natural food diet and lots of sweet potatoes.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:35:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

This man gets it.

Glad you caught it before it was too late, and that your pup is on the mend.

ETA: AND NO RAWHIDE!!! It's as bad or worse for causing obstructions than the rope toys are. Kongs and antlers are the answer.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:38:11 AM EDT
[#29]
We were into that for one of ours last year due to the a bad reaction to vaccination. The price does test your love for sure, but, IMHO, they are worth every bit. Glad your puppy is okay OP.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:42:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Glad? So are a lot of good (but kinda dumb sometimes) dogs, I suppose...

OP, you were tested, and not found to be lacking, good on you.  That .50 cal will come along some time. (They're not all they're cracked up to be anyhow... )
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:45:30 AM EDT
[#31]
I hear ya OP....I came home with a $2000.00 vet bill the other day that resulted from an attack from another dog, and than me subsequently giving the wrong meds to my dog and having to get her treated for that.  Other dog owner is paying most of the bill.

I always said I'd never spent $$$$.$$ on an animal, but when the time comes, how can you not..

If you don't have it, look into pet insurance.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:47:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This man gets it.

ETA: AND NO RAWHIDE!!! It's as bad or worse for causing obstructions than the rope toys are. Kongs and antlers are the answer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This man gets it.

thats the first ive heard of that.  been giving one rawhide a week to aid in keeping teeth clean for years with no issue.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:48:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Worth every penny.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:35:46 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Dude.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude.

Heck yes I do. He's the best dog I've ever had, but he has a job to do and a very finite lifespan to do it in. Family comes first, and this dog isn't a person. I can always get another good dog.

OP, really glad to hear that the dog is alive and well.

ETA: Eating a rope toy is how the sire of my dog's litter died. He ate a rope toy and it wasn't discovered until it had killed most of his intestines. There goes about 10K...
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:39:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Good on you, OP.  Fortunately I have a good relationship with my vet.  We'd provably do it after hours and he'd charge me a couple cases of beer.  Then call me a stupid fuck and tell me to keep a better eye on my dogs.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:46:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

My yellow Lab ate an entire plastic-wrapped angel food cake, resulting in plastic-wrapped dog shit, several disposable diapers that had been used and disposed, and a cell phone.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:24:09 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
My yellow Lab ate an entire plastic-wrapped angel food cake, resulting in plastic-wrapped dog shit, several disposable diapers that had been used and disposed, and a cell phone.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

As much as we try to humanize our pets, they are still animals and will do animal things.  That doesn't mean you love them less, you just have to realize they are NOT fuzzy little people.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:31:13 AM EDT
[#38]
We've got a 4 month old puppy, and about a week or so ago, he was straining to poop.  A nugget fell, but then another one started to come out.  He was pushing and pushing, but it wouldn't come out.  He then decided to move on with life with about an inch of shit hanging out his ass.  Well, being the non-savage that I am, he's not coming inside the house with that damn thing dangling.

So I made him stand up and I grabbed it with the poop bag I had on me.  It didn't come out at all.  So I got more involved and really started to pull.  About 2 seconds later, 4-5" of shit slid right out.  The amount of force needed to pull it out indicated to me that something was providing structural rigidity to the log.  I expects to break it off, but no, the whole log came out in one piece.  

I assume there was some textile (rope or other) in the middle of the log providing the needed strength to pull it out in one piece.  I really don't want to drop $2800 to remove things from our new puppy...we have to be more careful about what we let him get in to.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 4:16:04 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

We've got a 4 month old puppy, and about a week or so ago, he was straining to poop.  A nugget fell, but then another one started to come out.  He was pushing and pushing, but it wouldn't come out.  He then decided to move on with life with about an inch of shit hanging out his ass.  Well, being the non-savage that I am, he's not coming inside the house with that damn thing dangling.

So I made him stand up and I grabbed it with the poop bag I had on me.  It didn't come out at all.  So I got more involved and really started to pull.  About 2 seconds later, 4-5" of shit slid right out.  The amount of force needed to pull it out indicated to me that something was providing structural rigidity to the log.  I expects to break it off, but no, the whole log came out in one piece.  

I assume there was some textile (rope or other) in the middle of the log providing the needed strength to pull it out in one piece.  I really don't want to drop $2800 to remove things from our new puppy...we have to be more careful about what we let him get in to.
View Quote

The irony of your screen name coupled with that post is unreal.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:15:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

He is alive.  Recovering and eating some stupid expensive food the vet had us buy that will be easy on his hacked up guts.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good looking dogs. I'm just guessing his age but his current vet bill comes out to about $1 a day for all that loving.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top