Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2001 6:36:57 AM EDT
I stood in front of the concert last night where U2 was playing and handed out info on the NRA, it was a fly by the seat of yer jeans thing so I didnt have that much to give out. Made a sign and handed out pamphlets for nra and uspsa with an invite to join or come shooting.
Got there an hour before the show and was asked to move off the property when the lines started to form. I pointed out that people were selling drugs here why cant I invite them to help this country stay free. The event staff made a reach for my elbow to help me get away. My foot got tangled in his and he fell. It looked like an accident because I made a dramatic fall myself with all the papers falling on the ground. I picked myself up and left. Left the papers too, which pissed off the three event staff who demanded me to pick them up. I said they knocked me down and I was leaving before I had to make mean faces at them. I looked over my shoulder and they were picking up the pamphlets but leaving the trash.
I set up shop again on the sidewalk near the entrance, I ran out of pamphlets and only a few people stopped to ask what I was doing. One guy understood and might be coming to our match next weekend.
Not much of a statement was made but I was there damn it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 6:41:58 AM EDT
[#1]
WAY TO GO, RICH!!!!!!!!

Converts are won, one by one.

It sounds like the mindless masses just passed by you without giving much thought to what you were there for. I know thats frustrating, but look at the bright side...

U2 is selling their crap to people who are politically inert, inept and inactive.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 6:42:56 AM EDT
[#2]
That's a great idea and it keeps you out of trouble.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 6:44:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Rich, you're militant, but we love it. [:D]

Next time bring someone with a video camera. Sue their asses and give some of the dough to the cause.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 6:47:48 AM EDT
[#4]
or just keep all the dough and buy some more LEGPs!
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 6:52:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Way to go Rich!  We need more people like you.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 7:07:02 AM EDT
[#6]
My wife thinks I`ve gone over the top. "Just dont get hurt or hurt someone and end up in jail" Good advice.
It was more peaceful than I thought it was going to be.
I got the idea when I was working yesterday, the local radio station was giving away tickets to the show and I ran up my cellular bill trying to get in for free. I was invisioning stand close to the front and unfurling a banner during a quiet song but I knew I would piss of people behind me, but for the greater good there I would be. The good Lord musta knew my intentions and kept me outside.
U2 coming to a hall near you. Go get em folks. Maybe you`ll end up on the news. Thats what I was shooting for.
I did have to pay for parking so I hope that money went to the venue and not the weak/old/nothingnew/notfresh band.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 7:23:56 AM EDT
[#7]
If you ask any legal scholar what was really in the Framers' minds regarding the 1st Amendment, they will all say, or agree to, pamphleteering.  I really wish that next time you something similar that you organize a little support.  This is a case you will win.  The concert venue is almost certainly considered a place open to the public, and you have a right, IIRC, to hand out pamphlets in a public place.

Please let us know next time.  You should be unstoppable with a little prep work.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 8:00:13 AM EDT
[#8]
[left]my hats of to you buddy! excellent job! thats is the way to go. i don't have such an anti-gun problem here. i live where people likes guns.you got my support! only thing i
can really do is sign petitions every chance i get, and i do.[/left]
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 8:00:28 AM EDT
[#9]
You`re right Cible, I had a couple of hours lead time before I made up my mind to go. Tried to get on line here last night, but this site was loading very slow and I had to prepare myself.
Maybe someone else will have time to organize something for the next concert. I dont know where they are playing next.
BTW I have seen them play live three times in the past and have many of their albums/tapes/cd`s.
A couple of people asked me some questions that were less than nice last night. I replied with "How many people would have died if they were equally armed outside of Whitehall on that Sunday Bloody Sunday?" No one even knew what Whitehall was. One lady said Sunday Bloody Sunday was about Jesus`s death on the cross on Sunday. I was astonished and gave her a brief history on the subject.
How can folks learn from history if they dont care enough to learn about history?
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 8:05:16 AM EDT
[#10]
right!
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 8:12:40 AM EDT
[#11]
My compliments, Rich.  And thank you.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 8:17:41 AM EDT
[#12]
[url]http://freespace.virgin.net/nash.family/[/url]

On January 30, 1972, soldiers from the
                                                British Army's 1st Parachute Regiment
                                                opened fire on unarmed and peaceful civilian
                                                demonstrators in the Bogside, Derry, Ireland,
                                                near the Rossville flats, killing 13 and
                                                wounding a number of others. One wounded
                                                man later died from illness attributed to that
                                                shooting.

The march, which was called to protest
                                                internment, was "illegal" according to British
                                                government authorities. Internment without
                                                trial was introduced by the British
                               government on August 9, 1971.

The British-government-appointed Widgery Tribunal found
                               soldiers were not guilty of shooting dead the 13 civilians in
                               cold blood.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 8:51:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the link Chain gun.
Guess I got my history mixed up. Guildhall. Not Whitehall. I shoulda known that, drat it I hate looking as stupid as I are. Whitehall is the capitol bldg and thats where the orders originated, drat it again.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 5:24:22 PM EDT
[#14]
They are playing again tonite at the pond. I cant go tonite.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Beautiful!

We have got to organize! We need to get out in public and be seen. As long as we are polite and legal, we may be able to effect public opinion. Public relations is everything!

Link Posted: 4/24/2001 5:43:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Know why Boner's got big nostrils?
Big fingers.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 5:46:40 PM EDT
[#17]
i applaud yore efforts rich, we should all be so brave. just try not to get mobbed. you should avoid haveing a firearm, as they would look unkindly on that. and if you are going to give it all you should at least be a helpless victime instead of a well armed gun nut. if it makes it to the news i could help bolster our cause.  nomex on
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 5:53:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
One lady said Sunday Bloody Sunday was about Jesus`s death on the cross on Sunday. I was astonished and gave her a brief history on the subject.
How can folks learn from history if they dont care enough to learn about history?
View Quote

I'm not even a Christian and I can tell you that, per the Gospel, Christ died on a FRIDAY!! If this is any indicator of the ignorance of U2's audience - perhaps you are wasting your time. Naahh, maybe not - 'cuz I'm sure you're having fun in a way; and that some of the people passing by were rooting for you inside. Keep it up.

I used to think that Jay Leno's idiot on the street interviews were staged, or at least carefully selected from a large original sampling - but sometimes I really wonder.

Adam
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 6:13:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I will be wearing my NRA shirt on the inside of the concert this Saturday night in Phoenix

WOO HOO

Winston Wolf
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 6:25:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Winston Wolf:
I will be wearing my NRA shirt on the inside of the concert this Saturday night in Phoenix

WOO HOO

Winston Wolf
View Quote

I hope it`s a white shirt, black lights make white shirts glow. I also hope you bought the tickets before they started talking trash.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 6:30:31 PM EDT
[#21]
On the way out of a Motorhead concert I was greeted by 5 or 6 Born-again Christians.  They were out there shouting, challenging, provoking, and condemning us concertgoers most self-righteosly.  I hung around to see if anybody, if just one person, really listened to them.

Of course, I could only wait so long.  My point is, you'll catch way more flies with honey than vinegar.  Please, Winston, be a positive role model and don't alienate people any further.  Even if they are infuriating idiots.  Just politely hand out some pamphlets, something from JFPO maybe.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 6:30:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Keep up the good work.  [sniper]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top