Page / 131
Posted: 6/27/2015 4:18:23 PM EDT
Greek talks have failed, EU is scrambling to do damage control

This is going to be bad.

I predict DOW goes to 10,000 minimum

I hope everyone sold all their stocks on Friday
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:19:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I predict the DOW will go up a couple of hundred points on Monday.

eta: I'm spending the next few days on a boat so I'll miss whatever happens. Thankfully, I won't have internet access because I'm sick of all the bullshit I've been reading.

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:20:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Greece is going to default and you think the market is going to rise that much?
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:21:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This is going to be bad.

View Quote

quoted for LoL.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:21:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

derp.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:21:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure do. Only because it makes no sense. Nothing does anymore.

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:22:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Meh.  I'm in it for the long haul.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:22:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Shit I wish the market would plummet, I'm getting tired of buying stocks at full price and would love a sale.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:23:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This is going to be bad.

View Quote

Do you know what "minimum" means?

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:23:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm looking for stock in divorce attorneys, because their business is about to double.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:23:30 PM EDT
[#10]
The market will not crash while Obunghole is in office. Feb. 2017 is when to start watching it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:25:03 PM EDT
[#11]
FYI, the DOW can't drop to 10,000 on Monday.  They will close trading before it gets that low.

Stock exchanges attempt to ease panic selling by taking certain steps to halt trading. These moves are called market circuit breakers—or collars.

NYSE_traders_worried8_200.jpg
Getty Images
So how do they work? When are they used? CNBC explains.

What are market circuit breakers?

This is when a major stock or commodities exchange stops trading temporarily because an index, or even an individual stock, has fallen a certain percentage during a trading day.

The purpose is to prevent a market or stock price free-fall by trying to rebalance buy and sell orders.

For example, if the Dow Jones Industrial Average falls by 10 percent, the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) might halt market trading for one hour. There are other circuit breakers for 20 percent and 30 percent declines.

In addition to market-wide circuit breakers,the Securities and Exchange Commission approved market rules on a trial basis in 2010 allowing circuit-breaker pauses for certain individual securities whose prices move 10 percent or more in a five-minute period.

These circuit-breaker pauses apply to stocks in the S&P 500 Index, the Russell 1000 Index, and several hundred exchange traded products. They halt trading in the applicable security in all U.S. markets for five minutes.

When were market circuit breakers first conceived?

The markets instituted circuit breakers in the wake of 1987's "Black Monday." On Oct. 19, 1987, the market plunged 508.32 points, 22.6 percent, or $500 billion lost in one day. This was the largest one-day percentage drop in history until that time.

Circuit breakers were first used in October 1989, following a major stock market drop.

Until 1997, the markets used a point drop rule—that is, looking at how many points the markets declined, rather than the percentage of the move, to trigger circuit breakers to stop trading.

This point-drop rule caused trading to halt on Oct. 27, 1997, even though the decline was only about 7 percent. The rule was subsequently changed to respond to percentage drops rather than point drops. The rules have since been changed back to point drops as well as percentage declines.

When do market circuit breakers kick in?

The rules for using circuit breakers have changed over the years, and are usually calculated on a quarterly basis.

On June 30, 2011, the NYSE issued these guidelines for using circuit breakers:

Level 1 Halt

A 1,200-point drop in the Dow industrial average before 2 p.m. ET will halt trading for one hour; for 30 minutes if between 2 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. ET; and have no effect if happens at 2:30 p.m. or later, unless there is a level 2 halt.

Level 2 Halt

A 2,400-point drop in the Dow industrials before 1 p.m. will halt trading for two hours; for one hour if occurs between 1 p.m. and 2 p.m.; and for the remainder of the day if at 2 p.m. or later.

Level 3 Halt

A 3,650-point drop will halt trading for the remainder of the day regardless of when the decline occurs.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:25:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Meh.  I'm in it for the long haul.
View Quote

This. Potential buying opportunity.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:26:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
FYI, the DOW can't drop to 10,000 on Monday.  They will close trading before it gets that low.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Stock exchanges attempt to ease panic selling by taking certain steps to halt trading. These moves are called market circuit breakers—or collars.

NYSE_traders_worried8_200.jpg
Getty Images
So how do they work? When are they used? CNBC explains.

What are market circuit breakers?

This is when a major stock or commodities exchange stops trading temporarily because an index, or even an individual stock, has fallen a certain percentage during a trading day.

The purpose is to prevent a market or stock price free-fall by trying to rebalance buy and sell orders.

For example, if the Dow Jones Industrial Average falls by 10 percent, the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) might halt market trading for one hour. There are other circuit breakers for 20 percent and 30 percent declines.

In addition to market-wide circuit breakers,the Securities and Exchange Commission approved market rules on a trial basis in 2010 allowing circuit-breaker pauses for certain individual securities whose prices move 10 percent or more in a five-minute period.

These circuit-breaker pauses apply to stocks in the S&P 500 Index, the Russell 1000 Index, and several hundred exchange traded products. They halt trading in the applicable security in all U.S. markets for five minutes.

When were market circuit breakers first conceived?

The markets instituted circuit breakers in the wake of 1987's "Black Monday." On Oct. 19, 1987, the market plunged 508.32 points, 22.6 percent, or $500 billion lost in one day. This was the largest one-day percentage drop in history until that time.

Circuit breakers were first used in October 1989, following a major stock market drop.

Until 1997, the markets used a point drop rule—that is, looking at how many points the markets declined, rather than the percentage of the move, to trigger circuit breakers to stop trading.

This point-drop rule caused trading to halt on Oct. 27, 1997, even though the decline was only about 7 percent. The rule was subsequently changed to respond to percentage drops rather than point drops. The rules have since been changed back to point drops as well as percentage declines.

When do market circuit breakers kick in?

The rules for using circuit breakers have changed over the years, and are usually calculated on a quarterly basis.

On June 30, 2011, the NYSE issued these guidelines for using circuit breakers:

Level 1 Halt

A 1,200-point drop in the Dow industrial average before 2 p.m. ET will halt trading for one hour; for 30 minutes if between 2 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. ET; and have no effect if happens at 2:30 p.m. or later, unless there is a level 2 halt.

Level 2 Halt

A 2,400-point drop in the Dow industrials before 1 p.m. will halt trading for two hours; for one hour if occurs between 1 p.m. and 2 p.m.; and for the remainder of the day if at 2 p.m. or later.

Level 3 Halt

A 3,650-point drop will halt trading for the remainder of the day regardless of when the decline occurs.

Not Monday, but will probably be down 750+ points on Monday and enter bear markets and slide that low eventually
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:26:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Shit I wish the market would plummet, I'm getting tired of buying stocks at full price and would love a sale.
View Quote

I have some cash setting on the sidelines waiting for the same. FA keeps calling me over the last few weeks trying to get me to put it in. I keep telling
him hold off a little longer. A crash would make me look like a wizard.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:26:42 PM EDT
[#15]
The Greek "CRISIS"!!!!!111!!!  has been going on for what, 7 years now?

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:27:08 PM EDT
[#16]
If it happens I won't be surprised, if they some how prop it up again, I still won't be surprised.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:27:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sort of my feelings....will there be a hit? Probably but the market has programmed this in.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:28:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Not Monday, but will probably be down 750+ points on Monday and enter bear markets and slide that low eventually
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, I see what you're saying now..sorry, I read your title and misunderstood your prediction.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:29:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Sort of my feelings....will there be a hit? Probably but the market has programmed this in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Greek "Crisis" is the Greek Status Quo. I doubt it'll even have much affect on the markets at this point.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:29:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Something like that...
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#21]
The market is fixed now so it can't lose more than 500 without being shut off.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:31:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Meh.  Greece is going to miss a payment.  The world won't collapse.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:32:10 PM EDT
[#23]
The stock market is just as crooked and manipulated as anything else.  If a collapse ever does come, nobody will see it coming.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:32:20 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

This is going to be bad.

View Quote
Just my prediction.  Not a chance.  Dow still above 17,500 Monday.  And at no point drops below 17k next week.  Just my thoughts.  I'll bookmark this thread and check back on friday.

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:33:10 PM EDT
[#25]
How did Greece handle it?
Took a Huge Percentage from Everyone's bank acct.
Going to be a run on the banks here.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:33:56 PM EDT
[#26]

C'mon! Greece is used to taking it up the ass.

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:34:05 PM EDT
[#27]
What exactly are you using to predict a Dow 10,000 ?

Just as probable that the europeans will just continue to as they say , " kick the can further down the road ".

Europeans hate to make and decisions that are distasteful.

gd
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:34:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

This is going to be bad.

View Quote

The part in red might very well either be true now and/or will come true soon. However, the part in blue is just plain wrong (at least for right now, anyway). The dow might fall back to 10,000 eventually but it's not going to do that in one single day this coming monday. As for the part in green, that might still be a highly debatable point.

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:35:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Meh.  Greece is old news.  Portugal is where it's at now.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:36:06 PM EDT
[#30]
If you know what percentage of total EU GDP the Greece economy represents you know the answer.

Its like a company with 100 employees and the 2 most ineffective employees don't show up for work. Nobody gives a shit and things go smoother.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:38:37 PM EDT
[#31]
lmao dow to 10,000 in a day?  Sure thing.  Go ahead and load up on puts and figure out what mansion and Ferrari you want to buy with your new found wealth.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:40:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. I think Greece is already priced in the market.

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:41:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

eta: I'm spending the next few days on a boat so I'll miss whatever happens. Thankfully, I won't have internet access because I'm sick of all the bullshit I've been reading.
View Quote

any extra room on that boat?
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:42:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Sorry, OP, the market collapses in September. Didn't you Google it?
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:43:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:45:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think this as well. This possibilty has been in the cards for a while.

Any reactionary selloff should be followed by a rebound.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:48:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
lmao dow to 10,000 in a day?  Sure thing.  Go ahead and load up on puts and figure out what mansion and Ferrari you want to buy with your new found wealth.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:48:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

C'mon! Greece is used to taking it up the ass.

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:49:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Just repo the whole thing
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:50:26 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

This is going to be bad.

View Quote

Dow to 10k would be an extinction event.  

No.

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:52:00 PM EDT
[#41]
If you're wrong will you be back at 3:01 PM Monday and admit it?

Pro tip:  They never do.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:52:15 PM EDT
[#42]
By the way, the greeks are FOing (again) today. Molotav cocktails, firebombs, police sirens, rock throwing, smoke, hollering and shouting, explosions and---at around the 2:50 mark----physical assaults and general chaos for all.

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#43]
I think Monday will be fine.  Ducats will flee to US.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:52:58 PM EDT
[#44]
I wish online gambling in the US was different.

I'd LOVE to start a pool with the doom & gloomers over this stuff, so I could make good money off them.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:53:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. Mostly priced in already.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 4:57:07 PM EDT
[#46]
I hope the financial wizards can correct me. To me a hit to the euro, euro zone and euro banks would make the U.S. Dollar the safe haven. The dollar would be stronger and euro money will be invested here to keep it safe. This week I can see the Dow dipping 1K as money is shuffled but quickly regaining then raising higher. A year from now is when we could be in trouble if the dollar stays artificially strong.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 5:00:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Greece is not directly important to the US economy.  It is barely relevant to the EU economy, but is rather politically important to the failing Eurozone project.

The reality is that Italy, Spain, and Portugal will be where all eyes turn next IF the Greece problem isn't solved.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 5:00:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'd LOVE to start a pool with the doom & gloomers over this stuff, so I could make good money off them.
View Quote

What do you think the Stock Market is?   Place your bets!  

I swear to God, and ignorance displayed in these threads is just astounding.    
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 5:01:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

They have no money to bet. That's why their only hope is doom and gloom.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 5:03:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Just another Greecee Monday.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 131
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top