Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2015 1:30:13 PM EDT
So I decided to try a can of Bega canned cheese.  I'm a cheese addict and camp often and was looking for a way to get my fix.

200g/7oz Can was $8.94 on Amazon, free shipping with Prime.

Here it is in all it's Australian (maybe) glory.

Nutritional info (lies as I found out later)

Well that's odd, other side of can is in arabic

A closer look at the can shows everything is in english and arabic (sorry no photo, my ipotato couldn't get a good picture, just trust me on this).

Oh well let's open er up and see what we got.

After banging it on the cutting board I decided to take off the bottom and push it out, here's the bottom (more lies, good sized air gap between the cheese and the bottom of the can)

So after pushing it out and cutting it up, it's not bad.  It's definitely not cheddar cheese, or at least not traditional cheddar.  It tastes like American cheese (aka processed cheese).  From looking up FDA standards you'd have to call it "cheese food" if manufactured here since it only lists one type of cheese in the ingredients.

I'm also questioning whether it was made in Australia.  Why would they label it in english and arabic? Don't the Aussies feel the same way about arabic immigrants as we feel about illegal immigrants from south of our border only more so?  Maybe they export it to the middle East too?

Anyway, it tastes good, just like American Cheese but a bit creamier.  I could see this making some good campfire grilled cheese in a pie iron or mixing in good with some camp fire chili.  Don't think it would go good on eggs.  It's pretty good by itself or on a cracker with some summer sausage.

I don't really see myself buying this again though.  It's $8.94 for a single can, 6 cans for $36 ($6 a can), or 36 cans for $129 (~$3.59 a can).  It's not worth the price for a single or even a six pack, and I don't know what I'd do with 36 cans of it.

So anyone know of any other canned cheese/camping friendly cheese out there?  I'm aware of WSU's Cougar cheeses.  Thinking about picking up a couple cans of that next.  It seems expensive but actually works out to a similar price as what i just aid for Bega.  They've got several varieties too (one promises to be a a sharp cheddar and can age in the can).
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:34:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe the Arabic writing isn't for immigrants in Australia, maybe it's for export purposes.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:39:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Just keep whatever cheese you like in the fridge of your camper.  No big deal
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:41:35 PM EDT
[#3]
What is easy cheese not good enough for you?

Velveeta is probably pretty camping friendly being as it does not need refrigerated
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:43:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Velveta?
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:44:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I like how it says...

Serving size: 1/6 can
Servings per container: about 6

Funny how fractions work.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:45:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Cougar Gold is awesome if you want canned cheese.

ETA - It should be refrigerated however so it's probably not what you're looking for.

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:48:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Drove through Bega, NSW.  IIRC, they make a pretty good cheddar.

ETA- They definitely make it in Oz.  However, I never saw it with Arabic writing in the grocery stores.  I'd agree it was most likely for overseas/ME consumption.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:51:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Cougar Gold is awesome if you want canned cheese.

https://creamery.wsu.edu/cougar-cheese/
ETA - It should be refrigerated however so it's probably not what you're looking for.

View Quote

Dang, didn't know it needed to be refrigerated.  Sure enough, right there in the FAQs.

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Maybe the Arabic writing isn't for immigrants in Australia, maybe it's for export purposes.
View Quote

I always figured the reason was their main consumers were in countries in that region.

ETA: Kraft has canned cheese, might even be the exact same stuff as the Bega. Appears to be cheaper per unit:

http://shop.khanapakana.com/kraft-cheddar-cheese-200-grams-7-05-oz/?gclid=CMeH-8n2rcYCFY81aQodftYOWA
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 2:08:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Behold!

The Food of the Gods!

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 3:03:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Behold!

The Food of the Gods!

http://i.imgur.com/v9fL0ea.jpg
View Quote

Jalapeno is better, then bacon, then plain cheese.  When you eat MREs every day, sometimes nothing but MREs, the novelty wears off.

ETA crackers are getting rare too, nowadays it's all snack bread.  Often the snack bread is moldy.  I haven't seen vegetable crackers in years.  Vegetable crackers and jalapeno cheese is winning the MRE lottery.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top