Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/26/2015 12:30:00 AM EDT
8 Rounds (Shield) vs 6 Rounds (Glock).

At the end of the day, it is what it is.

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:38:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Hunting over bait for TSX accounts? I like it.

Down with glock!
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:39:01 AM EDT
[#2]
The Glock 43 can always be made to accept more rounds. The Shield, however, can never be made to accept less. The 43 has the advantage of being a predictable Glock, while being smaller, at least in some aspects.

To each his own though.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:40:03 AM EDT
[#3]
M&P Shield master race.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:43:54 AM EDT
[#4]
The Glock 43 is the best example of "a day late and a dollar short" I have ever seen in my life.
After years of begging for a single stack G19, they come out with a pocket 380. Then once those fanboy sales dwindled, they bring out a pocket 9mm the same size as their leading competitions Shield, but with two less rounds and $150 more expensive.

Perfection.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:48:45 AM EDT
[#5]
IN!

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:49:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The Glock 43 is the best example of "a day late and a dollar short" I have ever seen in my life.

After years of begging for a single stack G19, they come out with a pocket 380. Then once those fanboy sales dwindled, they bring out a pocket 9mm the same size as their leading competitions Shield, but with two less rounds and $150 more expensive.

Perfection.
View Quote

you mean 1 more round with the flush mag.  put a +2 extension on the G43 and capacity is equal and its still smaller than the Shield with its 8 rd mag

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:50:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:50:49 AM EDT
[#8]
To each his own.
I'd rather have a shorter grip, since that seems to be the harder part to conceal.

Not a fan of the QC of Smith and Wesson, or the track record of the M&P (I assume the shield is a squished version) with my local PD (story that the rear sight fell off an officers gun when it fell during an altercation, and some sort of spring fly out and render the gun useless) or Texas DPS (google it) etc etc

Glock .40's have had kabooms. But when it comes the the 9mm range, I have never heard a complaint.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:51:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

you mean 1 more round with the flush mag.  put a +2 extension on the G43 and capacity is equal and its still smaller than the Shield with its 8 rd mag

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perfection.

Very true but no matter what add ons you put on the Glock... It's still just a Glock.

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:53:37 AM EDT
[#10]
My Glocks have an acceptable trigger out of the box. (I'm sure the G43 is much better he same)
My Shield, not so much.

The Shield has useful sights out of the box. (I wish they'd offer factory night sights)
The Glock not so much.

The Shield's capacity wins over the Glock's.
For it's size, the Shield is very shootable. Can't speak for the G43, never shot one.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:00:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perfection.

So on top of the 43 being $150 more, you then have to go spend another $40 on Taran mag extensions just to equal the equally sized Shields capacity? Winning
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:08:09 AM EDT
[#12]
At least Glock remembers to rifle their barrels.  I won't begrudge anyone who trusts their life to S&W, but they should know better.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:10:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
To each his own.
I'd rather have a shorter grip, since that seems to be the harder part to conceal.

Not a fan of the QC of Smith and Wesson, or the track record of the M&P (I assume the shield is a squished version) with my local PD (story that the rear sight fell off an officers gun when it fell during an altercation, and some sort of spring fly out and render the gun useless) or Texas DPS (google it) etc etc

Glock .40's have had kabooms. But when it comes the the 9mm range, I have never heard a complaint.
View Quote

The Shield also comes with a shorter mag which give you a two-finger grip, instead of 3-finger. Slightly easier to conceal, much more difficult to shoot well. I find the Shield easier to shoot well (than other compacts), which I think is related to the distance from backstrap to trigger; it's more than most compacts. For people with big hands, it gets very difficult to shoot accurately when that distance gets too short.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:15:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:15:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Colion Noir did a review comparing both. Close, and very honest.

I like my Shield, but prefer to carry with the 7 round mags with Pierce grip extensions.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:16:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Agreed 100%
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:29:41 AM EDT
[#17]
My only gripe with the Shield is that it has an all metal magazine release button which rusts way too damn easy.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:31:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Perfection.
View Quote

purrrfection
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:33:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The Glock 43 can always be made to accept more rounds. The Shield, however, can never be made to accept less. The 43 has the advantage of being a predictable Glock, while being smaller, at least in some aspects.

To each his own though.
View Quote

Probably the most intelligent post in the history of GD.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:34:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

To each his own though.
View Quote

wot?
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:34:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Hey, look!

Another stripeknight troll thread!

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:35:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My only gripe with the Shield is that it has an all metal magazine release button which rusts way too damn easy.
View Quote

Hunh.  I'll have to check mine during it's next cleaning.  Was the rust on the exterior surface of the button, or on the interior part of the release in the grip?
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:39:09 AM EDT
[#23]
I've owned a shield, and while there was nothing to complain about, I was never able to really warm up to it. I got a G43, and it just suits me better.

*shrug*
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:40:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Hey, look!

Another stripeknight troll thread!

View Quote

Brethren, Dost thou even hoist?

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:40:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Glock 43 is much easier to shoot, more accurate, and much more concealable. Thats just like, my opinion man.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:41:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've owned a shield, and while there was nothing to complain about, I was never able to really warm up to it. I got a G43, and it just suits me better.

*shrug*
View Quote

I am glad to hear that less rounds when your life counts suits you better.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:45:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Just as a preface, I'm at M&P whore.  I don't care.  M&P9 and M&P9c with the DCAEK kit and AEK polymer trigger.  Shield is stock, it's a heavier trigger, but there is no "grittiness" that my 9 and 9c had.  I'm not going to say it can compare to high-end 1911s and such, but it is a damn smooth trigger with a very clear reset.  It's going to take a hell of a pistol to replace those for me.

Onto the Shield.  It's good at what it is for.  It isn't big enough (grip area, I mean) for me to be all that accurate with it at distances over 15 yards.  For reference, I have the large backing on the full size and compact, I'm a shorter guy with short guy hands, but the large grip gets my trigger finger exactly where I want it.  The Shield is so thin that the grip isn't as comfortable as my other two, but for close range and absolute concealment, it's going to be a damn difficult pistol to beat.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:49:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Ya'll fight, I like both!

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:50:22 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

*shrug*

it's always a compromise between concealability and capacity.  you get 1 round less on the G43 stock flush mag but its 0.35" shorter than the Shield.  add a +1 extension and its still shorter but with the same capacity.  the Shield can never be as concealable as the G43 but the G43 can be made to have the same capacity as the Shield and still be slightly smaller

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:54:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just as a preface, I'm at M&P whore.  I don't care.  M&P9 and M&P9c with the DCAEK kit and AEK polymer trigger.  Shield is stock, it's a heavier trigger, but there is no "grittiness" that my 9 and 9c had.  I'm not going to say it can compare to high-end 1911s and such, but it is a damn smooth trigger with a very clear reset.  It's going to take a hell of a pistol to replace those for me.

Onto the Shield.  It's good at what it is for.  It isn't big enough (grip area, I mean) for me to be all that accurate with it at distances over 15 yards.  For reference, I have the large backing on the full size and compact, I'm a shorter guy with short guy hands, but the large grip gets my trigger finger exactly where I want it.  The Shield is so thin that the grip isn't as comfortable as my other two, but for close range and absolute concealment, it's going to be a damn difficult pistol to beat.
View Quote

Possibly the best short Shield review I have read yet. Well done!!
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:56:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

it's always a compromise between concealability and capacity.  you get 1 round less on the G43 stock flush mag but its 0.35" shorter than the Shield.  add a +1 extension and its still shorter but with the same capacity.  the Shield can never be as concealable as the G43 but the G43 can be made to have the same capacity as the Shield and still be slightly smaller

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

*shrug*

That extension will most likely make the glock taller then the shield Samantha.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 2:07:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

*shrug*

Glad you approve, junior.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 2:09:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Hunh.  I'll have to check mine during it's next cleaning.  Was the rust on the exterior surface of the button, or on the interior part of the release in the grip?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The outside of the button between frame and button. Made it difficult to press. I am more conscientious about wiping off the sweat at the end of the day now.

ETA: this thread. and another and more

Should I keep going?
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 2:59:00 AM EDT
[#34]
I like my Shield.

As another poster said, day late and a dollar short.

If Glock had the 42 on the market when I bought my Shield two years ago, I would have looked into it. However I have that niche filled with no complaints, and thus, have no reason to consider buying a Glock 42.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 5:29:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Walther PPS is better.

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 5:50:25 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Perfection.

+87

It is what it is

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 5:52:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Glock factory 8 rounders are coming. The shield won't have capacity on the 43 much longer.

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 5:55:29 AM EDT
[#38]
In before Glock 19
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 6:07:39 AM EDT
[#39]
I am still boycotting ClintonWesson so fuck them
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 6:07:58 AM EDT
[#40]
LOL.  Glock fanboys are the same as Apple fanboys.

Their stuff is awesome and your stuff is shit

I like my shield.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 6:10:55 AM EDT
[#41]
I was looking at shields last week and was comparing them to the LC9.

I really did not care of either, they both just felt too small for one thing.

I also did not like the trigger on the shield, was surprised to find the trigger on the LC9 felt better.

I guess my G19 is probably about as small a carry piece as I am willing to go.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 6:12:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
My Glocks have an acceptable trigger out of the box. (I'm sure the G43 is much better he same)
My Shield, not so much.

The Shield has useful sights out of the box. (I wish they'd offer factory night sights)
The Glock not so much.

For it's size, the Shield is very shootable. Can't speak for the G43, never shot one.
View Quote

Glock sights not useful?

I shoot competition with stock glock sights.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 6:18:19 AM EDT
[#43]
I own both. I shoot both. I like both. I prefer the glock.

The glock just works for me better than the shield. The grip and trigger on the glock just feel right to me. The smith isn't bad at all, but I prefer the glock.

With that said, I do carry the shield just to mix it up from time to time.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 6:23:34 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Walther PPS is better.
View Quote

This.

The PPS was doing it for years before the Shield or 43, and still wins any head-to-head comparison. Walther's marketing team should be fired.

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 6:42:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Perfection.
View Quote

this exactly.  I'm kinda of a glock guy, have a shield with absolutely no intention of switching
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 6:49:53 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Perfection.
View Quote

... absolutely true
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 7:08:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Glock sights not useful?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My Shield, not so much.

The Glock not so much.

Glock sights not useful?

I'd be willing to bet that most people prefer 3 dot sights over the ball in cup Glock sights.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 7:08:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

*shrug*

The 42 with a Taran +1 is still shorter than the Shield with a flush magazine.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 8:02:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I'd be willing to bet that most people prefer 3 dot sights over the ball in cup Glock sights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My Shield, not so much.

The Glock not so much.

Glock sights not useful?

Well to be fair we aren't talking about preferences. I was addressing his statement that stock glocks sights are useless.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 8:18:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Just bought a Shield.  Haven't even shot it yet.  I may be a bit of a S&W fan, but I've had good experiences with them, so just haven't felt a need to explore other options.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top