Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2015 9:30:53 PM EDT
I 62 rounds of Thunderbolts and already see a lead sheath obscuring the rifling...

Do you remove the barrel to clean?

Brand new gun, got it for the my boys. Made the mistake of using Thunderbolts but hey, it fed them just fine

But yeah, Thunderbolts still have to scrape that shit out of my MKII still
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 9:32:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd leave it alone
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 10:16:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd leave it alone
View Quote

Por Que?
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 10:22:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I consider removing the barrel on this pistol a detail strip.  It'll take at least a 1000 rounds before I do that.  I can clean it just fine while on the frame.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 10:33:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I consider removing the barrel on this pistol a detail strip.  It'll take at least a 1000 rounds before I do that.  I can clean it just fine while on the frame.
View Quote

Muzzle to breech?
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 10:33:34 PM EDT
[#5]
No reason to remove the barrel, just brush the bore with a bronze brush and Hoppes solvent to get the lead out.

These pistols have very shallow rifling so I clean the bore of her SR22 after every range trip, but I never brush it dry.

It's an easy gun to clean and lube.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 10:34:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Muzzle to breech?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Muzzle to breech?

Breech to muzzle.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 10:22:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Breech to muzzle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Muzzle to breech?

Breech to muzzle.

Unless you remove the barrel you can't get a rod from breech to muzzle. Why I'm asking. Not that I'm using steel cleaning rods or anything.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 10:31:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Unless you remove the barrel you can't get a rod from breech to muzzle. Why I'm asking. Not that I'm using steel cleaning rods or anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Muzzle to breech?

Breech to muzzle.

I'm puzzled because I simply remove the slide and pass a brass cleaning rod with a brush  from the breech to the muzzle after every range trip with no problem at all.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 10:35:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 10:39:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

BoreSnake
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Muzzle to breech?

Breech to muzzle.

BoreSnake

He needs to brush out some lead fouling.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 10:40:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm puzzled because I simply remove the slide and pass a brass cleaning rod with a brush  from the breech to the muzzle after every range trip with no problem at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Muzzle to breech?

Breech to muzzle.

The hammer even when cocked seems to kick the rod up at an angle.

I just checked again and yeah it gets stuck, but.... I depressed the hammer more with my other hand and it passes by freely. Didn't even cross my mind to push the hammer down separate. Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 10:44:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 10:46:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If the lead fouling is so bad the brushes on the bore snake isn't clearing it.

Then get an Otis cleaning system (cable based) run the cable down the bore and screw it onto the brush and pull it from breech to muzzle.  I do it all the time with my revolver.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then get an Otis cleaning system (cable based) run the cable down the bore and screw it onto the brush and pull it from breech to muzzle.  I do it all the time with my revolver.

He got the rod working.

I need to get that Otis system for my revolver.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 10:47:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I may need something better overall. I still have half a brick of this garbage...

Blazer lead doesn't seem to foul my guns so fast unless it's summer time and it's 110 out side already. Then it's a few boxes of any LRN and it's fouled...

I've had to hammer out 1.5" lead cast from my MKII in the past...
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 10:48:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
He got the rod working.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He got the rod working.

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 10:54:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I may need something better overall. I still have half a brick of this garbage...

Blazer lead doesn't seem to foul my guns so fast unless it's summer time and it's 110 out side already. Then it's a few boxes of any LRN and it's fouled...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife has been shooting Winchester bulk, and Remington Golden Bullets, but mostly Aguila 40 grain........all garbage but copper plated, and she's had no problems whatsoever.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 11:25:22 PM EDT
[#17]
This pistol seems to consistently jam on me after 150 rounds, regardless of the ammo used.  Once it gets a little dirty, a field cleaning is a good idea.  The first 150 rounds, give or take a few, fly down range with every trigger pull.  Great plinking pistol.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 11:08:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 11:20:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This is good to know - thanks.  I'm thinking of picking up a .22 pistol and trying to decided between the SR and and the Ruger 22/45 Lite (which I assumes leads similarly to the MkII)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is good to know - thanks.  I'm thinking of picking up a .22 pistol and trying to decided between the SR and and the Ruger 22/45 Lite (which I assumes leads similarly to the MkII)

If I was getting a 22 pistol just four straight target practice it's be the 22/45 light no doubt or a MKIII.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 11:34:01 AM EDT
[#20]
the guys at rimfirecentral suggest a little lee alox for the thunderbolts it reduces the leading.

one guys suggested you put a little in a rag and roll each round across the lube,  its time consuming but he said it reduced the leading considerably.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:31:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:52:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The guys at my LGS thank you, I bought the more expensive .22/45 over the SR22 based on your recommendation.  I think the extra $$ will allow them to buy a couple extra happy meals
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I was getting a 22 pistol just four straight target practice it's be the 22/45 light no doubt or a MKIII.

The guys at my LGS thank you, I bought the more expensive .22/45 over the SR22 based on your recommendation.  I think the extra $$ will allow them to buy a couple extra happy meals

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:09:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:14:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Looks exactly like this:
http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Blue-22-45-Lite.jpg

I wasn't crazy about the blue, but the rubber grips felt really nice (compared to the hard plastic ones on the black fluted model)
View Quote

I'm gonna have to get one for myself at some point.

Beautiful.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top