Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/9/2015 12:03:31 PM EDT
So as most of you know, in light of the Wrenn order, right now while DC appeals the case the district is in effect a shall-issue CCW permit municipality.

Meaning, strike while the iron is hot IMO if you live around here and want a DC carry permit.

Personally, I really want one because I routinely carry in Virginia and it happens all the time where in the middle of my day I have to trek into DC, or my GPS routes me through the district etc.  So what are you supposed to do with your gun?  Well, we all wish we lived in a constitutional carry world, but reality and such.

I submitted my application yesterday.  It is actually very easy, they have an online PDF form you can fill out, and now that the "prove you need it" requirement is suspended, you simply put "Personal Protection" in the stupid essay section and move on.

It is similar to most states...you have to have firearms and a minimum range training unless you provide proof you are exempt, i.e. a DD214.

You have to get fingerprinted at the office (digital) and your picture taken.  And if you are out of state you have to have a CCW in your home state and provide a couple proof of residency items (Drivers license and voter registration card suffice).

The experience was actually really pleasant.  No JBT scowling at you etc.  The clerks and the cops were all really friendly, didn't question why I was there, didn't slow roll me, nothing shitty about it.  Also kind of funny, when I went to the fingerprint station there were a few issues of Guns and Ammo and American Rifleman on the table next to the scanner.

The one requirement that is NOT waive-able is you have to take a 2 hour DC firearms law course.  BUT you can submit your application without it or the other required range training and complete it while your application is being processed (max 90 days.)

Total cost of the application was $75 plus $35 for the fingerprint processing.

Cross my fingers, I'll let you know how it pans out.  I am taking my DC law class on the 19th.

Also, I went at about 2:00 on a weekday, I was one of 3 people and no wait whatsoever.

ETA: If you want to contact the guy who does the 2 hour DC Law only class, IM me and I will give you his e-mail address.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 12:05:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 12:06:06 PM EDT
[#2]
All the forms, instructions, etc can be found here.

http://mpdc.dc.gov/page/applying-concealed-carry-pistol-license

As far as finding classes, if anyone is really interested I can steer you in the right direction.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 12:06:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wait - I thought you had to be a DC resident.  Can someone living in VA apply?  That would be awesome!
View Quote

Yes.  In fact, Brian Wrenn is a Virginia resident.

As am I.

PM me for details.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 12:14:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 12:15:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 12:22:41 PM EDT
[#6]
FBHO!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 12:30:40 PM EDT
[#7]
next time im in DC from one of my clients ill plan on filling this out and submitting. Thanks OP.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 12:32:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Tagging this for later.  I don't go into DC often, but we do occasionally make the trip to visit friends or catch an exhibit at the National Geographic.  I hate leaving my CCW at home, so I think I'm going to apply.  

Frankly, I carry daily when I go about my normal business, but the few times I'm in DC is probably when I actually should be armed.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 12:35:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Good deal.

I wanted to visit DC again.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 12:39:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 12:41:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
next time im in DC from one of my clients ill plan on filling this out and submitting. Thanks OP.
View Quote

Plan ahead for the law course.  It is a requirement.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 12:43:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Tagging this for later.  I don't go into DC often, but we do occasionally make the trip to visit friends or catch an exhibit at the National Geographic.  I hate leaving my CCW at home, so I think I'm going to apply.  

Frankly, I carry daily when I go about my normal business, but the few times I'm in DC is probably when I actually should be armed.
View Quote

I'm sure when I take the law course, they've probably restricted the fuck out of carry i.e. where you can and can't, but we shall see.  The big thing for me is to be able to have it in the car in DC.  If I can't carry it into a place, fine...not unusual for me anyways...but I need to be able to drive into DC without asking myself what I am gonna do with my firearm or risking catching a felony charge for just passing through.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 12:48:05 PM EDT
[#13]
So I was confused about one thing - the training req.  Didn't I see that it was something on the order of $200-$400?  I've got plenty of range time and have done some formal carbine/pistol courses as well, but I'm not sure how to prove that for the DCPD.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 12:54:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So I was confused about one thing - the training req.  Didn't I see that it was something on the order of $200-$400?  I've got plenty of range time and have done some formal carbine/pistol courses as well, but I'm not sure how to prove that for the DCPD.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Download the instructions.

If you are requesting an exemption to the firearms training course requirements, Section 2336.3 of
the regulations requires you to provide supporting documentation, such as:

- Firearms training provided by the National Rifle Association
- DD Form 214 if it shows special training for marksmanship
- Retired law enforcement officer credentials
- Hunting license
- Armed special police officer license
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 12:56:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you are requesting an exemption to the firearms training course requirements, Section 2336.3 of

[list]

- Hunting license

Yeah - read that.  Unfortunately none of those apply to me.  Guess I'd have to "retrain", eh?
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 12:56:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm wondering if DD214 would?

Edit: I see it does.

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 12:58:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 12:58:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 12:59:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yeah - read that.  Unfortunately none of those apply to me.  Guess I'd have to "retrain", eh?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

[list]
- Hunting license

Probably.  I had to "retrain" when I moved to Virginia, since it had been a long time since my last class and I had no idea where to even start looking for a cert.  I don't like it, but it's not the worst hoop to jump through.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:00:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

[list]
- Hunting license

Yep.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:01:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
... have a CCW in your home state...
View Quote

Yup.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:01:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Based on reading the application and the instructions, a DD214 is sufficient to waive the training requirement, but you still have to do the DC law class, which is not waivable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm wondering if DD214 would?

Based on reading the application and the instructions, a DD214 is sufficient to waive the training requirement, but you still have to do the DC law class, which is not waivable.

This is exactly the case.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:01:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm curious about what qualifies for the training.  If the NRA have a course, that would be great.

Otherwise, I guess I could apply for a waiver (since they claim those can be granted on a case-by-case basis) and inundate them with tons of material about my military service, weapons I am trained on, etc. - all in a foreign language.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

[list]
- Hunting license

I'm curious about what qualifies for the training.  If the NRA have a course, that would be great.

Otherwise, I guess I could apply for a waiver (since they claim those can be granted on a case-by-case basis) and inundate them with tons of material about my military service, weapons I am trained on, etc. - all in a foreign language.

Please do, in only for the lulz!
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:02:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yup.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.  

Sorry, commie states gonna commie state.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:02:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yup.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.  

Wow, that hurts you guys in Maryland.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:08:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Tag for outcome.

So since people from VA can apply, I'm assuming anyone, from any state can apply? Like someone like me from IL?
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:10:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
FBHO!!!!!
View Quote

FNJ!!!
FATF!!!
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:10:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
tagging in to see how it goes.

View Quote

Do you really need to tag to see the outcome?

Its DC... yes shall

DENIED.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:12:50 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm interested where you found just a 2-hour class on the DC laws.  The few places I called were only teaching the entire 16-hour class (yes, I know they are supposed to also teach just a DC law class, but none "had one scheduled").

I considered getting accredited as a DCMPD Instructor, but damn its expensive; almost $500 and its only good for two years ($500 when you add in the other costs like, fingerprinting).
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:14:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

[list]
- Hunting license

The course I took was done by a NRA instructor, I wonder if his counts. John?

Still would need to do the 2 hour legal training course. Anybody have a line on that?
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:15:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yup.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.  

There's nowhere in MD you can't commute to while living in a free state.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:16:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm interested where you found just a 2-hour class on the DC laws.  The few places I called were only teaching the entire 16-hour class (yes, I know they are supposed to also teach just a DC law class, but none "had one scheduled").

I considered getting accredited as a DCMPD Instructor, but damn its expensive; almost $500 and its only good for two years ($500 when you add in the other costs like, fingerprinting).
View Quote

I'm also interested in the same.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:27:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Tag for outcome.

So since people from VA can apply, I'm assuming anyone, from any state can apply? Like someone like me from IL?
View Quote

Yes.  You have to meet all the requirements AND have a CCW in your home state.  But you have to apply in person etc so unless you go to DC a lot, you'd have to assess the value of having the permit.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:29:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know a guy who knows a guy.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:30:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me ask the guy who is teaching mine if he wants to get inundated with people or not.  I don't want to just dole out his contact info if he doesn't want.  So stand by please.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:36:16 PM EDT
[#36]
I have to work all over DC basically every day. I'm definitely going to apply when I get back from out of town. I've got a ridiculous amount of training time, so we'll see whether our supreme MPD overlords will grant me a permit or not...
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:57:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- Hunting license

What is this shit? I have a DD214 but I was an admin guy.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- Hunting license

Pogue tax.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 2:10:48 PM EDT
[#39]
I got the go-ahead.  PM me for his name and e-mail address if anyone is interested.  He said if this class fills up he'll schedule a new one.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 4:48:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 5:15:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Thanks!!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got the go-ahead.  PM me for his name and e-mail address if anyone is interested.  He said if this class fills up he'll schedule a new one.

Thanks!!  

If you go to the June 19th class with me, we should all go out together and get matching tattoos afterwards.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 5:30:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 5:31:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 12:36:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

If you go to the June 19th class with me, we should all go out together and get matching tattoos afterwards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!!  

Sent you an IM on the training.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 12:50:46 PM EDT
[#45]

Are they actually processing application or just accepting them? I could see them accepting applications and juts sitting

on them pending the appeal.  

8nBAIT

Link Posted: 6/10/2015 1:11:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Are they actually processing application or just accepting them? I could see them accepting applications and juts sitting

on them pending the appeal.  
View Quote

They are processing them.  By law they have to, they have 90 days.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 1:18:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Are the instructors traveling or offering any weekend classes?
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 1:19:06 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

All the forms, instructions, etc can be found here.

http://mpdc.dc.gov/page/applying-concealed-carry-pistol-license

As far as finding classes, if anyone is really interested I can steer you in the right direction.
View Quote
I wonder if they waive any requirements for LEOs.

Link Posted: 6/10/2015 1:19:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Im glad I no longer have any business up that way, but if I did I would be all over it. Hell if it wasnt a pain to take the class I would do it anyway. A DC CWP will be a collector's item eventually.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 1:25:37 PM EDT
[#50]
May that town burn to the ground.  Fuck DC and all the thieving politicians and bureaucrats and FBHO.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top