Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/8/2015 4:26:49 PM EDT
So a deer in Meridian township was confirmed to be infected with CWD. From what I have read about the DNR response plan its not looking good for hunters in that area. They are already paying people to kill all the deer in a two mile radius. There will be unlimited doe tags in the larger 3-county area around that. Cant move harvested deer out of the infected zone. Processors wont touch deer from the infected zone. ect.

The issue seems to be the disease can live in the dirt for years. So the only way to wipe CWD out is to kill all the deer then keep them out of the effected area for about 3-years.

I figure thats going to destroy deer hunting in that part of the state for the next decade or more.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 4:32:06 PM EDT
[#1]
They dropped permits to 12 bucks hoping to up the kill rate.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 4:34:34 PM EDT
[#2]
The CWD area in WI just keeps growing. Once it's established, you aren't getting rid of it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I didnt go last year because i had surgery the month before and missed too much work. I dont think i'll go this year if i cant even take the deer to my normal processor.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 4:35:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The CWD area in WI just keeps growing. Once it's established, you aren't getting rid of it.
View Quote

Did WI try the nuke it from orbit option like Michigan is?
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 4:42:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Went through this shit 2 years ago when there was a CWD outbreak near the acreage I own in Macon County, MO. MDC wanted me to kill 5 deer for testing, and I could do so by any means necessary. I declined, so did all of my neighbors. From what I can tell, everything's already back to normal up there.

Out of curiosity, is this Michigan outbreak within the vicinity of any high-fence/freak farm operations?
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 4:44:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Out of curiosity, is this Michigan outbreak within the vicinity of any high-fence/freak farm operations?
View Quote

Not that I know of. its a pretty suburban area. Hell i can hear barking dogs, traffic, farm equipment and traffic noise from my "blind"
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 4:44:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 4:48:01 PM EDT
[#8]
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153--355592--,00.html

The Michigan departments of Natural Resources (DNR) and Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD) today confirmed that a free-ranging deer in Meridian Township (Ingham County) has tested positive for chronic wasting disease (CWD), a fatal neurological disease that affects white-tailed deer, mule deer, elk and moose. This is the first time the disease has been found in Michigan’s free-ranging deer population. In 2008 a white-tailed deer from a privately owned cervid (POC) facility in Kent County tested positive for CWD.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 4:50:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Deer kill under way in Meridian

MERIDIAN TWP. – Less than a week after officials announced a diseased deer was found in Meridian Township, sharpshooters began killing deer in the township Wednesday.

The shooting is focused on a 2-mile radius from the intersection of Marsh and Haslett roads
View Quote

Plaga said the shooters, who will be working under a DNR-issued permit, will be using rifles with suppressors that reduce the amount of noise and flash made when the rifle fires. They will work daily during the last two hours of daylight and into as much of three hours of darkness, when the deer are most active.
View Quote

Sound like supressors and night vision/thermal.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/local/2015/06/03/deer-cull-meridian-township-cwd/28436381/
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 4:53:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not that I know of. its a pretty suburban area. Hell i can hear barking dogs, traffic, farm equipment and traffic noise from my "blind"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw a map not long ago showing CWD and EHD outbreaks across the U.S. Virtually all of the outbreaks happened near a high-fence hunting operation or a cervid breeding farm. The outbreak that happened in my neck of the woods started at Heartland Wildlife, a high-fence hunting spot. They ended up destroying every animal in that place, complete depopulation.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 4:54:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm suprized anyone would even eat a deer from a cwd area. Why risk it?
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 4:57:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I saw a map not long ago showing CWD and EHD outbreaks across the U.S. Virtually all of the outbreaks happened near a high-fence hunting operation or a cervid breeding farm. The outbreak that happened in my neck of the woods started at Heartland Wildlife, a high-fence hunting spot. They ended up destroying every animal in that place, complete depopulation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am from this area and am actually moving back in a few weeks. To my knowledge we have none of these in the area. I own a property about an hour and a half north where there are a few whitetail ranches though.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 5:57:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nuke it from orbit might work. Trying to shoot every deer in the area is impossible, and the prions can be contagious for years....in the friggin dirt.

But yes, they tried to shoot all the deer near the first known infected deer. Containment was unsuccessful.

It's pretty much like trying to contain the emerald ash borer. You might slow it's spread, but you can't stop it, once it's established.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 6:05:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I certainly wouldn't eat one from a CWD zone.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 6:30:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because it's not really a risk.

A species barrier exists that prevents CWD from being transferred from Deer to people. If we were able to contact it(it's been known to exist in the wild deer population since the 70s), it would have happened years ago.

If you are still very concerned, most Fish and Game depts in states with CWD will test your deer for it. I will have my deer tested, but I don't sweat it, as I don't eat the parts of the deer where the prions exist(the central nervous system and lymphatic tissues).
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 7:08:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I hunt 10 miles from the infected area.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 7:26:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:Because it's not really a risk.

A species barrier exists that prevents CWD from being transferred from Deer to people.
View Quote

Let's hope so. But Prions are not understood very well. They can incubate for 40 years before activating and turning a brain into a sponge. The prions that affect cows can and do affect humans.

To me, even if the risk were minimal, is still not worth it. There are safer meats to eat.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 7:45:26 PM EDT
[#18]
And some idiot Amish farmer keeps bringing infected deer to Ohio.
But they're honest, hard working people...
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 7:46:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Rose lake?
Sleepy Hollow?
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 7:51:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

A species barrier exists that prevents CWD from being transferred from Deer to people. If we were able to contact it(it's been known to exist in the wild deer population since the 70s), it would have happened years ago.

If you are still very concerned, most Fish and Game depts in states with CWD will test your deer for it. I will have my deer tested, but I don't sweat it, as I don't eat the parts of the deer where the prions exist(the central nervous system and lymphatic tissues).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You actually believe that?

It's essentially the same disease that sheep and cattle get, and those can both infect people. Please explain what's different about the prion causing it in deer, in scientific terms.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 8:25:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Rose lake?
Sleepy Hollow?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rose lake?
Sleepy Hollow?

That's more than ten miles from Ingham co.  I'm five from Sleepy Hollow and ten from Lansing
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 8:41:51 PM EDT
[#22]
MiDNR is managing the Whitetail herd into extinction with their consistent over reaction.

The U.P. is rapidly becoming devoid of deer in favor of cuddly wolves.  The northern lower has not recovered from the Bovine TB scare over a decade ago.  Now they'll destroy yet another zone.

Link Posted: 6/8/2015 8:45:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/local/2015/06/03/deer-cull-meridian-township-cwd/28436381/
View All Quotes
Quoted:

MERIDIAN TWP. – Less than a week after officials announced a diseased deer was found in Meridian Township, sharpshooters began killing deer in the township Wednesday.

The shooting is focused on a 2-mile radius from the intersection of Marsh and Haslett roads

Plaga said the shooters, who will be working under a DNR-issued permit, will be using rifles with suppressors that reduce the amount of noise and flash made when the rifle fires. They will work daily during the last two hours of daylight and into as much of three hours of darkness, when the deer are most active.

Lucky them. Wish I could use a suppressor to hunt with.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 8:46:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
MiDNR is managing the Whitetail herd into extinction with their consistent over reaction.

The U.P. is rapidly becoming devoid of deer in favor of cuddly wolves.  The northern lower has not recovered from the Bovine TB scare over a decade ago.  Now they'll destroy yet another zone.  
View Quote

I agree.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 8:47:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That's more than ten miles from Ingham co.  I'm five from Sleepy Hollow and ten from Lansing
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rose lake?
Sleepy Hollow?

I hunt private land near Williamston/Webberville.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 8:48:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

A zone that hasnt recovered from the "deerbola" three or four years ago as well.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 8:51:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Fucking A. I would have loved to have gotten in on that action.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 9:19:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It's essentially the same disease that sheep and cattle get, and those can both infect people. Please explain what's different about the prion causing it in deer, in scientific terms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

bovine spongiform encephalopathy and CWD(Creutzfeldt-Jakob as well)are very similar, in that both are misfolded proteins(specifically Transmissible spongiform encephalopathies, or TSE for short). BSE(better known as mad cow) actually cannot infect people. Neither can Scrapie(which is the sheep version, for lack of a better term) It does however, appear that BSE increases the risk of contracting Creutzfeldt Jakob, which is a human TSE, as well as Scrapie in sheep, however, CWD does not do this. When healthy sheep and cows are kept in close proximity with deer with CWD, there have been no cases of either BSE or Scrapie occurring on those animals, nor has there been any cases of them getting CWD.

Similarly, epidemiologic studies(from 1979 to I think 2000) of humans living in CWD areas of Colorado and Wyoming have not shown any increases in human TSE cases, nor have there been cases of CWD specifically being contracted. Now, as someone else said, the prions can lay dormant for a very long time, however, the odds of EVERY case laying dormant for over 30 years is highly improbable. Someone would have contacted CJD over that time. Too many people have been eating Elk and Deer for it not to have happened.

Now, what are the specific differences between the prions that cause CJD, BSE and Scrapie? I'm not sure. You are best to ask someone who studies neurological conditions for a living that question. All of the studies done have shown that BSE can increase the risk of CJD, but cwd and scrapie don't. Why is this? I don't know. I do know that species barriers exist in other diseases and conditions(feline aids comes to mind), so it's not like this is unheard of.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 9:36:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

bovine spongiform encephalopathy and CWD(Creutzfeldt-Jakob as well)are very similar, in that both are misfolded proteins(specifically Transmissible spongiform encephalopathies, or TSE for short). BSE(better known as mad cow) actually cannot infect people. Neither can Scrapie(which is the sheep version, for lack of a better term) It does however, appear that BSE increases the risk of contracting Creutzfeldt Jakob, which is a human TSE, as well as Scrapie in sheep, however, CWD does not do this. When healthy sheep and cows are kept in close proximity with deer with CWD, there have been no cases of either BSE or Scrapie occurring on those animals, nor has there been any cases of them getting CWD.

Similarly, epidemiologic studies(from 1979 to I think 2000) of humans living in CWD areas of Colorado and Wyoming have not shown any increases in human TSE cases, nor have there been cases of CWD specifically being contracted. Now, as someone else said, the prions can lay dormant for a very long time, however, the odds of EVERY case laying dormant for over 30 years is highly improbable. Someone would have contacted CJD over that time. Too many people have been eating Elk and Deer for it not to have happened.

Now, what are the specific differences between the prions that cause CJD, BSE and Scrapie? I'm not sure. You are best to ask someone who studies neurological conditions for a living that question. All of the studies done have shown that BSE can increase the risk of CJD, but cwd and scrapie don't. Why is this? I don't know. I do know that species barriers exist in other diseases and conditions(feline aids comes to mind), so it's not like this is unheard of.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are no studies that I am aware of that prove you cannot get CWD from deer. The answer is more like "we don't think so". I am not hungry enough to accept that as an answer.

During tests, Squirrel Monkeys were able to be infected with CWD by both oral and intracerebral injection. Although another species of monkey (cynomolgus macaques) seems to be resistant to CWD, the fact that another primate can be infected is enough reason for me to steer clear of the venison.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 9:39:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I drove from Bessemer to Lake Linden last week, without seeing one deer. Very unusual.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 9:44:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep scrappy in sheep, Bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) (mad cow disease),Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) in humans
all seem creepily similar....
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 9:52:52 PM EDT
[#32]
no different than what they did in the TB zones.

Doe permits for all...
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 9:52:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that's why over 100 people died from CJD in Great Britain from eating infected cattle, and why you still can't donate blood if you lived in Britain during that period....because BSE doesn't really cause it. Do you really believe any of that crap? You need to consider the possibility that they are not being honest with you, to avoid a panic. If people stopped hunting and eating deer, we would have a huge problem. You also need to consider the possibility that people have died from eating infected elk and deer, but either the connection wasn't made, or it was hushed up. Just like there have probably been people who died in the U.S. from eating infected cattle, but it was hushed up to avoid panic. And there have probably been cattle who died on U.S. soil from BSE, but were buried in the back 40 or burned without anyone finding out.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 9:54:46 PM EDT
[#34]
I hope they manage it better than the idiots in IL.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 10:15:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yeah, that's why over 100 people died from CJD in Great Britain from eating infected cattle, and why you still can't donate blood if you lived in Britain during that period....because BSE doesn't really cause it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, that's why over 100 people died from CJD in Great Britain from eating infected cattle, and why you still can't donate blood if you lived in Britain during that period....because BSE doesn't really cause it.

If you don't understand the difference between BSE and Scrapie not being able to infect people directly(which is the opposite of what you said), and BSE increasing the risk of contracting CJD, I can't help you.

Also, the fact that they died from CJD and not BSE/Scrapie proves my point.

Do you really believe any of that crap? You need to consider the possibility that they are not being honest with you, to avoid a panic. If people stopped hunting and eating deer, we would have a huge problem. You also need to consider the possibility that people have died from eating infected elk and deer, but either the connection wasn't made, or it was hushed up. Just like there have probably been people who died in the U.S. from eating infected cattle, but it was hushed up to avoid panic. And there have probably been cattle who died on U.S. soil from BSE, but were buried in the back 40 or burned without anyone finding out.

Aaaaaaand now you've gone straight into tinfoil hat territory. I'm done. I don't do unprovable conspiracy theories.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 10:35:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If you don't understand the difference between BSE and Scrapie not being able to infect people directly(which is the opposite of what you said), and BSE increasing the risk of contracting CJD, I can't help you.

Aaaaaaand now you've gone straight into tinfoil hat territory. I'm done. I don't do unprovable conspiracy theories.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you really believe any of that crap? You need to consider the possibility that they are not being honest with you, to avoid a panic. If people stopped hunting and eating deer, we would have a huge problem. You also need to consider the possibility that people have died from eating infected elk and deer, but either the connection wasn't made, or it was hushed up. Just like there have probably been people who died in the U.S. from eating infected cattle, but it was hushed up to avoid panic. And there have probably been cattle who died on U.S. soil from BSE, but were buried in the back 40 or burned without anyone finding out.

So the mutated prion that causes holes in the brains of cattle just drastically increases the risk of catching a disease that causes holes in the brains of humans, but doesn't actually cause it? That's either complete bullshit, or it's playing semantics, take your pick.

And if you actually think that our government wouldn't cover up something like that, to avoid mass panic and the destruction of our beef industry, you're too naive to have this discussion. They do a lot worse things than that (ethically) every day of the week.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 11:15:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL, you can't die from "BSE" as a human, the B stands for BOVINE. CJD is the name we give to the same symptoms in humans, which of course means holes forming in your brain tissue, turning it into a "sponge", just like bovine spongiform encephalopathy. Like I said, playing semantics. It's the same fucking thing in cows and humans, with a different name.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 12:38:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Any local have updated info?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 6:47:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:33:42 PM EDT
[#40]
So its just three, all related and from withen a mile of eachother. Yet they are quarantening almost all the way north to St. Johns?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:47:34 PM EDT
[#41]
I live one county over from the Bovine TB area near Onaway.  They have been trying to wipe out the deer population in that area for years.  No baiting and you were able to take any deer with your license and at one time you could buy an antlerless deer license every day for $4.00 in the area.

Then in my county they were giving out no doe permits at all for years.  Wipe out the deer in the neighboring county but don't permit any does to be killed with a rifle next door. In Michigan if you hunt with a bow or crossbow you can shoot any adult deer that gets near you as long as you have a tag for it. I will have 25 does in my yard at times and I live on a small island that is 1/4 mile or so long.

The state banned baiting some years ago when a deer with CWD was found in a private deer farm down state.

If deer are going to get CWD from eating from a bait pile of 2 gallons of corn or some apples (state allows 2 gallons of bait spread out in a 10 foot by 10 foot area, then they are going to spread the disease by eating apples under a tree or from corn that falls on the ground in a field.  I watch deer all day long every day.  I call deer and they come running up to me so I see them close up.  If I am cutting trees with my chainsaw and I turn it off and they come running into the yard to eat the leaves off the trees that I have cut.

Deer lick each other from head to toe like a cat.  They are just as likely to spread disease by licking each other as eating from the same food.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:53:31 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I live one county over from the Bovine TB area near Onaway.  They have been trying to wipe out the deer population in that area for years.  No baiting and you were able to take any deer with your license and at one time you could buy an antlerless deer license every day for $4.00 in the area.

Then in my county they were giving out no doe permits at all for years.  Wipe out the deer in the neighboring county but don't permit any does to be killed with a rifle next door. In Michigan if you hunt with a bow or crossbow you can shoot any adult deer that gets near you as long as you have a tag for it. I will have 25 does in my yard at times and I live on a small island that is 1/4 mile or so long.

The state banned baiting some years ago when a deer with CWD was found in a private deer farm down state.

If deer are going to get CWD from eating from a bait pile of 2 gallons of corn or some apples (state allows 2 gallons of bait spread out in a 10 foot by 10 foot area, then they are going to spread the disease by eating apples under a tree or from corn that falls on the ground in a field.  I watch deer all day long every day.  I call deer and they come running up to me so I see them close up.  If I am cutting trees with my chainsaw and I turn it off and they come running into the yard to eat the leaves off the trees that I have cut.

Deer lick each other from head to toe like a cat.  They are just as likely to spread disease by licking each other as eating from the same food.

View Quote

Preach it brother.

I hunt off 33 and Merchant Rd.

Used to be nothing to see 30-40 deer a night now I am lucky to see 10.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:14:00 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Yep scrappy in sheep, Bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) (mad cow disease),Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) in humans

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They all seem creepily similar because they are all neurodegenerative diseases that progress and work similarly. A prion is simply a misfolded protein that causes other proteins to misfold (or denature). Think like a jigsaw puzzle piece that is able to turn other jigsaw pieces into itself. Now that said, these different diseases are all caused by different prions. If the prion in CWD is formed from a protein that doesn't exist in humans...it can't spread. Just like a deer can't get a chick pregnant. A prion is a thing, its not alive, it can't mutate, it can't evolve.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:57:10 PM EDT
[#44]
I watched the meeting.  They admit it is just a few deer in a small area, but gave out details of past problems in Wisconsin and Illinois.

Sounds like you get one shot to stop it or you deal with it for years and years.

No baiting in 033.  Ingham, Clinton and Shiawasee Co.

$12  unlimited doe tags.

Restricted combo tag can be used for a doe.

72 hour mandatory check in. ( If I remember correctly)

No claiming roadkill.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:51:30 PM EDT
[#45]
We really didn't need another big problem with the deer herd in this state.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:54:36 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote

Because 1) usually only a small percentage of deer are infected and 2) the prion is found only in certain tissues or organs; the meat usually is not a problem.

Statistically speaking, a hunter is far more likely to die by falling from his tree stand than from CWD.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:56:03 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Similar, but not the same.  And Scrapie (sheep CWD) has never been shown to infect people.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:13:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I watched the meeting.  They admit it is just a few deer in a small area, but gave out details of past problems in Wisconsin and Illinois.

Sounds like you get one shot to stop it or you deal with it for years and years.

$12  unlimited doe tags.

No claiming roadkill.
View Quote

Theoretically, it could be disbursed by other animals. There are studies showing that CWD prions are still pathogenic after being passed through a crow's digestive system.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:08:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Theoretically, it could be disbursed by other animals. There are studies showing that CWD prions are still pathogenic after being passed through a crow's digestive system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$12  unlimited doe tags.

No claiming roadkill.

No shit, got a link to that?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:08:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

$12  unlimited doe tags.

No claiming roadkill.
View Quote

No commercial processing of deer from the quaratine zone. No transporting venison out of the quaratine zone.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top