Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2001 8:08:59 PM EDT
Anybody else have this problem? I've tried and tried, but I just can't shoot a pistol for sh*t (except my buddy the Cops' Glock 22). He says my shooting style is just more suited to a revolver. I have finally sworn off pistols for good, and traded my CZ75 for a pre-britain S&W 586 rd butt .357 w/4-in barrel (I've always loved a .357, anyway). I'd love a Glock 23, but who has the money? (paid tax this year, too) Every time we go to the range, he with his Glock, and me with the 586, I keep hearing the line from "Lethal Weapon" where Riggs says to Murtough ..."revolver huh? A lot of old-timers carry those". Oh well..........with a revolver, at least I'll hit the damn target.
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 8:27:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Dude, I thought I was the only one!
[pistol]
I have match grade pistols, but I am most consistent with my Model 19 S&W.
I don't know if it is the action of the slide throwing me off or what.
I also think the .357 Magnum is sadly underappreciated.
All the books say pistols are more accurate because you don't change the chamber with each shot, but practical experience with me doesn't prove that out.
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 8:37:14 PM EDT
[#2]
there can be a big difrence in pistols and how they are for accuracy. to start with how tight is the barel, triger weight to strong or to week exc I like about 1.5 to 2lbs of pull myself but the end knuckel on my triger finger don't bend Ive broke it to many times. but these are just a few factors to consider.not all autos are bult under tight specs
Link Posted: 4/23/2001 8:41:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I love a .357mag! Also, for some reason, I have to use .357 ammo with 158gr bullets, or I can't hit sh*t. My buddy the HP cop used to be issued a S&W 65 stainless. He actually liked it better than the Glock because even in dim light, they could always see the hole at the end of the barrel lookin' at 'em. I think a lot of my problem is the awful trigger that most service pistols come with. I don't know why I'm so good with his Glock, 'cause the trigger on a Glock absolutely SUCKS!
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 12:18:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Hey I thought I was the only one with this problem. I have a Glock 22 and a Ruger GP-100. and I cant hit a broad side of a barn with if I was in side of it. But I still practice with hoping one day I will be good.

Six
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 12:28:32 AM EDT
[#5]
It's the trigger, likely.  I shoot a lot of IDPA and I find I do better with a K9 than with a single action auto....I think the long trigger pull kinda makes you pay attention somehow.  Does that make sense?
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 4:27:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Just shoot your pistol as if it was a DA revolver with a r_e_a_l short stroke.

Norm
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 4:56:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Melon...in my own experience,it is primarily your shooting habits that make the biggest difference, and it is somewhat phsycological. you can blame trigger,action hand fit whatever but as long as you are firing quality pistols, the only difference is ....practice...practice...practice.....ONE factor,and primary, is that in your mind you relize you are limited to number of rounds available.....this results in a automatic response of careful aim and control during firing....revolvers are also more eronomically correct, for the most part...for MOST people.....357 mags ARE the most important people stoppers in my own opinion, even thogh i am a 45 fan, there exist too many restrictions on 45 handguns to make them a reasonable choice...mostly, depts. do not approve of thier use (rise in popularity of the 40)...personally, i`m BEST with an old mod 13, with heavier h/v rounds!...YOU figure it out? but PRACTICE with the pistols shows me that what i have said is pretty much the case....B&G....[pistol]
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 4:58:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the opposite problem.  I can shoot a pistol pretty well, but can't shoot a revolver for sh*t.  I can't figure it out.  I guess I must just be better suited to pistols?  Oh well, I like what I have so I guess it doesn't matter...
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 5:17:58 AM EDT
[#9]
THE primary factor in use of autoloading handguns is the speed/ease of reloading, and capacity enters in somewhat.....we are poorly influenced by the movies and high cap ideas wherein reality can become distorted, subconsiencly.....this CAN affect your performance in use of certain handguns. using a specific model and becoming proficient with it eliminates most of the subconsience influence.this is the case for a lot of leo`s etc. who are PRACTICED with one type of weapon....i`m going to get flamed here, but this info is true for a lot of people i know who have said the same thing....it is a common occurence of persons who own a variety of handguns and don`t get to "practice" as much as they would like!!!!.....[pistol]
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 5:40:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I have owned a few semi-auto's and could not shoot any of them worth a sh*t. I had a Colt Gold Cup 70 series, a Colt Double Eagle, a Colt Government Model 80 series, a Taurus PT92, and I still have my Beretta M9. I can shoot hte Beretta OK but if I really want to hit something consistently I will get out my trusty 4" S&W Model 66 .357mag that resides in my nightstand. I also have a S&W Model 586 .357mag with an 8-3/8" barrel that I deer hunt with-now that is one sweet shooting handgun [:D]
Finnbear out
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 1:28:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I carried three different revolvers on duty and went to semi autos. My qualification scores were way higher with the revolvers. I do CCW semi autos though.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 5:38:03 PM EDT
[#12]
The Law Enforcement training center I attended accepted 100 students per year. You must first qualify with a Glock 19 before moving onto other weapons.

After everyone is qualified with the autos there is a revolver training week. Over 90% of the students shot better with those old Model 10 & 15 S&Ws than with the autos.

My groups were about 1/10 smaller with the revolvers. This led me to purchase my M65 S&W as a duty sidearm. I carried it for my short LE carrear as well as my armored vehicle work(part-time, emptying ATM machines).

(side note)Surprisingly, at that time I had a Glock G26 [b]compact[/b] that I could shoot more accurately than any of the 30 G19s in the locker.

My current CCW is also a revolver. Don't laugh now. It's a 24oz 4" .22lr Ruger Bearcat. I know it sounds funny, but I always have it on me and it hits what I aim at.

And I'm neither cheap or poor. I was one of the first to run out and buy the new S&W 317 Ti(titanium) Personal Defense model last tax season. That was a 10.4oz .38+P that had a 'bite' and couldn't hit shit. Every shot felt like you were getting hit with a hammer on the inside of your palm. I can only describe shooting it as 'annoying'. I used it as a trade-in last summer.

Link Posted: 4/26/2001 6:08:08 PM EDT
[#13]
My problem is the exact opposite of what you guys have.

I do not know why but I could not hit anything with revolvers.

Link Posted: 4/26/2001 6:31:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Well I have 3 .45ACPs two are revolvers and the third is up for sale, I have one 10mm, its a revolver. My carry used to be a 5 shot .38, now its a 6 shot .357 (the wife stole the .38) I have a lot of past with both, I prefur the revolver. Just strange I guess:)
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 6:39:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, now I feel a little better....I seem to shoot much better with revolvers too.  I am determined to get better with my HK USP though.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 11:07:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Put me down for the "opposite".

Pistols - no problem, from full size down to sub-compacts. Nice tight groups, sometimes down-right, or up-left, but good groups.

Revolver - Yea right! All over the target.

The main reason I can attribute to the difference is the grip design differences of Pistols vs Revolvers. Pistols generall have a "boxy" shape grip, where-as revolvers are more "shapely" grip. I have large square long hands, so with the box grip I have more flesh against the grip. The revolver grip I tend to have more flesh-to-flesh, which doesn't feel right to me.

This, to me at least, is my explaination why I don't do to well with revolvers.

Anyone else have any "ideas"?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top