Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2015 3:55:03 PM EDT
Is this the new thing now?
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 3:55:31 PM EDT
[#1]
As opposed to suppressors with a layer of my burned flesh on them?
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 3:58:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

No kidding.  They're like a hot poker when the air is all wavy around them.

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 4:00:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do get a kick out of the few times I've seen someone hold a suppressed firearm at point blank range to someone in a movie....

They never get the sound effects right. There should be the sizzle of searing flesh and screams of agony.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 4:04:04 PM EDT
[#4]
New Thing?

Nope - it's been fairly normal for anyone that has a can that 1) had some sort of finish and 2) has used the suppressor hard.

Of course, I assume there could also be wannabees who paint up their cans to look like they've been run hard. The world is a weird place full of odd people.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 4:04:07 PM EDT
[#5]
What do you mean new thing? The finish doesn't stay on forever.

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 4:05:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

It does if you have the ability to refinish it..
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 4:07:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Only to burn it off again? Ehhh... fuck it.

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 4:08:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

It seems like pictures are full of suppressors with burnt off finish these days.  The new suppressor look is no longer in style.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 4:10:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

duh use the right stuff first.. they do make paint to go up to 1700 deg..  
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 4:10:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It seems like pictures are full of suppressors with burnt off finish these days.  The new suppressor look is no longer in style.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's because you're supposed to throw your new suppressor down the driveway to give it that operator look.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 4:12:10 PM EDT
[#11]
They just legalized them in MN and I'm torn between the silencerco Specwar and the Saker.

I know, get both. But which one first? I've thought long and hard about it and like what I've seen with their attachment.

I already ordered the Osprey.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 4:13:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is this the new thing now?
View Quote

I didn't know it was a "thing". Mine looked like that at the end of the first day of ownership. It just sort of happened. Now my SDN6 has a nice bronze color on the middle third.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 4:19:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Burned/distressed finish lets all the higher tier noobs at the range know you're legit. Those things are expensive and a PITA to get, you can't just throw them down the driveway.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 4:52:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I dunno, my titanium 300 WM can sort-of changed color a little but... eh, not like titanium can oxidize more
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 5:05:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Hell I wish mine looked like new.  What do you guys do with aluminum cans cerekote?
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 5:07:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Not enough squirrels around here for that to happen to any of my suppressors.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hell I wish mine looked like new.  What do you guys do with aluminum cans cerekote?
View Quote

yup.. use the Air harding version.. the C stuff.. they also make a hight heat application for headers as well. Ive yet to try it..
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 5:13:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Not enough squirrels around here for that to happen to any of my suppressors.
View Quote

I was burning through some 5.56 Saturday and got my AAC Mini 4 finish slightly discolored if you look at it in the correct light but nowhere near burned off.  I bet if I would have zipped through another mag I would have the look.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 5:17:40 PM EDT
[#20]
my YHM Ti aint got no stinking finish
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 5:22:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

yup.. use the Air harding version.. the C stuff.. they also make a hight heat application for headers as well. Ive yet to try it..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm awaiting a Form 1 for the 22lr can I'm building using the aluminum tube from SD Tactical. Guys on the forum there have been using engine enamel to paint the aluminum and titanium cans.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 5:24:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Have you seen the results of MAC's testing?

I posted a graph here

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They just legalized them in MN and I'm torn between the silencerco Specwar and the Saker.

I know, get both. But which one first? I've thought long and hard about it and like what I've seen with their attachment.

Have you seen the results of MAC's testing?

I posted a graph here

Quoted:

OK, I'm a little late to this party.

However, I went and graphed the info in the test as for me, a visualization of the trends is more useful than pure numbers and rounded out averages.

Really reinforces some of the sound specific data and put it in context with size and weight.

ETA: I got in a discussion with a buddy of mine over the the Saker (his) vs the M4SDK (mine). The M4SDK is shorter, lighter, has a more versatile attachment system while averaging (136.7 vs 134.8) and trending quieter (with less deviation in shots) and being less expensive. But, but, but stellite bro! (Sorry Aaron I know you don't say bro) Sorry, you most likely won't shoot out either.

http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s611/joe_freerider/received_582527679314_zpsd7gfvnh8.jpeg

Your color selection is pure shit.  Did you do that on purpose?  If so, good job.

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 5:24:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm awaiting a Form 1 for the 22lr can I'm building using the aluminum tube from SD Tactical. Guys on the forum there have been using engine enamel to paint the aluminum and titanium cans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ya you can do that, suggestion, Use garnet or Aluminum Oxide in 120 grit to make a base for the paint to stick/cling to.. blast the tube with it.. then clean with acetone then paint..
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 5:27:12 PM EDT
[#24]
All my suppressors go right down the driveway when I pick them up. I'm too busy operating to spend time operating to get them looking like they've been operated.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 5:32:27 PM EDT
[#25]
The anodizing on my bowers CAC9 looks like it was done yesterday

I've had it hot

did a 350 round magdumpathon once

All my guns look real nice, I must not be elite
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 5:35:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 5:37:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Get bent. Feel free to put the data in yourself and upload it with your choice of colors.

That's how Excel created the chart. Not perfect, but it works well enough.
View Quote

No shit.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 5:37:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I do get a kick out of the few times I've seen someone hold a suppressed firearm at point blank range to someone in a movie....

They never get the sound effects right. There should be the sizzle of searing flesh and screams of agony.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

After one shot?
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 5:57:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Your color selection is pure shit.  Did you do that on purpose?  If so, good job.  
View Quote

Tag to see your chart.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 5:59:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 6:00:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Saker.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 6:01:15 PM EDT
[#32]
I need to Cerakote my M4-2000 again. A few too many full auto sessions as left the suppressor looking very gold and silver looking. I have even caught it on fire once.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 6:08:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I need to Cerakote my M4-2000 again. A few too many full auto sessions as left the suppressor looking very gold and silver looking. I have even caught it on fire once.
View Quote

That sounds so fun.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 6:10:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That sounds so fun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sounds so fun.

It didn't take me too long to realize that there are a few parts on a M16 that will glow with enough effort.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 6:14:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
They just legalized them in MN and I'm torn between the silencerco Specwar and the Saker..
View Quote

Got my saker in a few weeks back...  *love* it damn quite with sub ammo and decent with full power loads as well
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 6:21:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Common if you actually use the thing.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 6:21:15 PM EDT
[#37]
A buddy of mine has those cool covers for his.........I offered to sell him some black oven mitts for half the price of those fancy covers.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 7:17:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Not a  single pic posted by OP.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 7:34:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

This website is mostly used by men to impress other men for dating suitability. You have to have approved gear to every small detail. Nobody could post a picture of gear they run (or is it kit they operate? Fiik) without running the risk of being cast out of the circle jerk. Your dick won't suck itself
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 7:43:14 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

This website is mostly used by men to impress other men for dating suitability. You have to have approved gear to every small detail. Nobody could post a picture of gear they run (or is it kit they operate? Fiik) without running the risk of being cast out of the circle jerk. Your dick won't suck itself
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hahaha.  I'm genuinely curious to see what he means as I have 3 cans that are used fairly hard and still have finishes on them.  I'm clearly not "running" my "kit" hard enough.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 7:44:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

In some cases, the finish isn't even on it when it's new.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 7:44:31 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

A buddy of mine has those cool covers for his.........I offered to sell him some black oven mitts for half the price of those fancy covers.
View Quote
M240 barrel mit  $6 at local surplus store

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 8:09:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Hahaha.  I'm genuinely curious to see what he means as I have 3 cans that are used fairly hard and still have finishes on them.  I'm clearly not "running" my "kit" hard enough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah I didn't mean that to look like I was dogging you, I'm grumpy as fuck.

I've run my G5 pretty hard and the only discoloration came from wrapping it in bacon and burning the fat into the finish
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 9:44:18 PM EDT
[#45]
It's a picture thread now.

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 9:50:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It's a picture thread now.

<a href="http://s300.photobucket.com/user/rccox/media/Guns/D16EF7AA-1289-422E-8B86-08D3BD1E57CC.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn38/rccox/Guns/D16EF7AA-1289-422E-8B86-08D3BD1E57CC.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s300.photobucket.com/user/rccox/media/Guns/E34ECB1A-85F7-427F-BD6D-AA9D7E6F7E46.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn38/rccox/Guns/E34ECB1A-85F7-427F-BD6D-AA9D7E6F7E46.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s300.photobucket.com/user/rccox/media/Guns/A532F093-B0F6-46CA-981B-B8696190E13E.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn38/rccox/Guns/A532F093-B0F6-46CA-981B-B8696190E13E.jpg</a>
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 10:59:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or never shoot with it and just post cool pics on the internet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top