Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/18/2015 5:19:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 5:27:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmm... thanks for posting. I am considering the $199 one.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 5:28:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Asus makes good shit!
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 5:29:17 PM EDT
[#3]
That's neat.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 5:35:20 PM EDT
[#4]
What carriers will this work on? Not Verizon right?
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 5:41:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm admittedly phone ignorant, but the specs on the $299 model seem rather retarded for the money.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 5:42:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Asus makes good shit!
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 5:43:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Figures will not work on Verizon.

http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1011941/
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 5:45:58 PM EDT
[#8]
So, from what I'm reading.... ASUS has put the processor from a netbook/ low-end laptop into a PHONE...
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 8:23:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So, from what I'm reading.... ASUS has put the processor from a netbook/ low-end laptop into a PHONE...
View Quote

Yes, that is exactly what Asus did.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 8:28:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Sigh...no onscreen navbar.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 8:32:02 PM EDT
[#11]
How does it compare to an S3?  Serious question.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#12]
so many phones to potentially buy.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 8:42:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Asus makes good shit!
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/18/2015 8:46:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Asus makes good shit!
View Quote

I am not necessarily pro or anti Asus, but its worth pointing out that the PowerVR G6430 GPU debuted in 2012.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/15/imagination-powervr-g6230-g6430/

considering 4 inch QHD was cutting edge back then, I wouldn't want an outdated graphics chip pushing a 5.5 inch FHD
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 8:47:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is one thing I absolutely hate about Verizon.  Every other carrier has phones galore from all kinds of markets.  Except fucking Verizon.

My LG G3 is god awful after lollipop, I've got 18 months left until I can change phones.  It's not worth switching to TMiobile since their coverage blows.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 8:49:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 8:58:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It will be a significant upgrade all around.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Asus makes good shit!

I am not necessarily pro or anti Asus, but its worth pointing out that the PowerVR G6430 GPU debuted in 2012.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/15/imagination-powervr-g6230-g6430/

considering 4 inch QHD was cutting edge back then, I wouldn't want an outdated graphics chip pushing a 5.5 inch FHD

Previews show the gpu doing rather well against the newest competition.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 9:07:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

with a cpu from 2013 and gpu from 2012, that's unpossible. link to benchmarks?
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 9:53:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9261/asus-zenfone-2-preview

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:40:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Ordered from ASUS's website. Time to see how long it will take to get to me.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:43:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Asus makes good shit!
View Quote

+1, I've owned their laptops for a long time and used their motherboards in a couple of different computers.
I had a samsung s4 but now I'm looking at this!!
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 12:26:05 PM EDT
[#22]
I for one am pretty excited for this phone.  Probably not so much about the $299 version but the $199 version is where it's at.  Here is a pretty good review of the phone that i've seen so far.

http://www.androidcentral.com/asus-zenfone-2-review
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 1:27:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Figures..it's not for Verizon (as mentioned above).

What's the best bargain for a Verizon user then (buy your own)?
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 1:33:56 PM EDT
[#24]
The phone is quite a bit more on Amazon than it is on the Asus website.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 1:46:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Asus makes good shit!

Eh they kind of screwed the pooch on the early transformer tablets, which I unluckily own. The specs on them look great but they really perform poorly all the time because of all the bloatware and they have a fatal flaw and get the worst wireless reception of any device I have ever seen (which also seems to cause additional excess battery usage AND slower response times). On top of that they screwed owners of the first two models out of updates out of OTA Android updates although I suppose I could root or whatever and get them if I really wanted to.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 4:08:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Is amazon selling it, or is it a 3rd party seller?

Quoted:

There isn't any.  You are screwed in that dept.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 5:43:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Report back how you like it, im interested the 64gb model.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 5:47:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Refurbs on Ebay is what I usually go for...
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:19:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Verizon better be careful lest they go the way of Blockbuster.  Consumers are changing.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:03:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Full reviews should be coming around the end of the week.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:17:13 PM EDT
[#31]
This looks really interesting.  I am liking this as well as that new One+One phone with the Cyanogen version of Android.  I have had iphones since the 3g came out but am tired of the same shit every update.  The same look and feel, etc.  Plus they are getting really overloaded with extra shit.  My 16 gig storage is half used up before i even start.  I might be looking into an Android phone (as much as I hate the OS) later this year if the new ios is the same old shit (which it will be).
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:29:46 PM EDT
[#32]
no wireless charging??
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:30:50 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

One apparently came out earlier today.

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:31:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bigger. Better. Faster. Harder.

It would be on the performance level of the Galaxy S5, two generations newer than your S3.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:34:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
This looks really interesting.  I am liking this as well as that new One+One phone with the Cyanogen version of Android.  I have had iphones since the 3g came out but am tired of the same shit every update.  The same look and feel, etc.  Plus they are getting really overloaded with extra shit.  My 16 gig storage is half used up before i even start.  I might be looking into an Android phone (as much as I hate the OS) later this year if the new ios is the same old shit (which it will be).
View Quote

Ever considered a windows phone?
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:53:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Not sure about using the Atom CPU. In theory it should be more powerful than the ARMS CPU but Atom is not a low power/low heat CPU for mobile device.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:12:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The company is OnePlus. Not One+. I have an OPO, the 64GB version. I like it. It's probably the biggest handset I'd ever want... I'd like it if it were a 5" screen, but that's just me.

It's a beautiful screen, it's fast and responsive (that 3GB RAM is nice for switching apps quick). The latest CM (12s) has some issues. Battery life gets really wonky sometimes. Usually you can easily get 2 full days out of it... but yesterday I noticed the battery going down quick. Chrome was keeping the CPU awake... why? I don't know. Google Play Services crashes frequently, and my Moto360 will sometimes last a full day (24 hours), and sometimes the phone makes it start "doing something", and it sucks the battery down in <3 hours.

I'm considering rolling back to the 11s version, since I kept a Nandroid of it. It ran fine then. It does seem Android 5.x has battery issues across a lot of different devices.

I still love Android. I do shit with my phone that would be extremely difficult to replicate on an iPhone or Windows phone. Most of it doesn't even require root.

Quoted:
Not sure about using the Atom CPU. In theory it should be more powerful than the ARMS CPU but Atom is not a low power/low heat CPU for mobile device.

I'm curious about battery life, too. Like I mention above, the OPO can usually get almost 2 days of life... but Android 5.0 has goofy battery issues. It seems they update one thing to fix it, and another issue pops up.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:25:19 AM EDT
[#38]
I having the same problem as you with my Nexus 4 w/ the new Android 5x keep crashing it. I think it's probably Google did that on purpose to pushing Nexus 4 hold ups like me to update to their overprice Nexus 6. Damn it, I don't want a 6" and $600 Nexus.

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:28:26 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm curious how the market will respond to Atom processors in phones. I work for Intel and getting our processors in phones will do wonders for my stock.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:34:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The company is OnePlus. Not One+. I have an OPO, the 64GB version. I like it. It's probably the biggest handset I'd ever want... I'd like it if it were a 5" screen, but that's just me.

It's a beautiful screen, it's fast and responsive (that 3GB RAM is nice for switching apps quick). The latest CM (12s) has some issues. Battery life gets really wonky sometimes. Usually you can easily get 2 full days out of it... but yesterday I noticed the battery going down quick. Chrome was keeping the CPU awake... why? I don't know. Google Play Services crashes frequently, and my Moto360 will sometimes last a full day (24 hours), and sometimes the phone makes it start "doing something", and it sucks the battery down in <3 hours.

I'm considering rolling back to the 11s version, since I kept a Nandroid of it. It ran fine then. It does seem Android 5.x has battery issues across a lot of different devices.

I still love Android. I do shit with my phone that would be extremely difficult to replicate on an iPhone or Windows phone. Most of it doesn't even require root.

I'm curious about battery life, too. Like I mention above, the OPO can usually get almost 2 days of life... but Android 5.0 has goofy battery issues. It seems they update one thing to fix it, and another issue pops up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Got one about a month back, even made a thread about it.

The Cyanogen/lollipop upgrade has not really been that great for the phone. I have wonk wifi printing issues crashing chrome, and from time to time it wants to launch speech to text when I plug in my headphones.

There's some general issue about lollipop and its derivative OS's that have now caused fuckery with two of my phones, the OPO and the Nexus 5--both will get hot as shit and start to drain the battery fast as hell, I'm talking 1% per minute. Rebooting fixes it, but I have no idea what causes it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:38:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 1:09:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The Cyanogen/lollipop upgrade has not really been that great for the phone. I have wonk wifi printing issues crashing chrome, and from time to time it wants to launch speech to text when I plug in my headphones.

There's some general issue about lollipop and its derivative OS's that have now caused fuckery with two of my phones, the OPO and the Nexus 5--both will get hot as shit and start to drain the battery fast as hell, I'm talking 1% per minute. Rebooting fixes it, but I have no idea what causes it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I'm glad I took a Nandroid of 11s before I upgraded. I still have TWRP on my OPO.

I might just roll it back after taking a new Nandroid. Then when a good update comes along that resolves most of the problems, I'll roll it forward.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 5:17:00 PM EDT
[#43]
The phone is on it's way, I just got the shipping notice. I have ordered the version with the 1.8GHz processor & 2GB RAM. I will post some pictures from it and of it once I get it along with some experiences.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 5:18:41 PM EDT
[#44]
2 or 4 GB RAM options, nice

As a comparison my Note 3 has 3 GB RAM
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:24:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

The OnePlus has 3GB. It's nice having that much. I think 2 is about the minimum if you have any number of apps. 3+ is better. New phones are gonna need more RAM and more memory.

I'm going to like it when smartphones have CPUs and memory enough to run VMs that can connect to external displays and peripherals.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:32:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The OnePlus has 3GB. It's nice having that much. I think 2 is about the minimum if you have any number of apps. 3+ is better. New phones are gonna need more RAM and more memory.

I'm going to like it when smartphones have CPUs and memory enough to run VMs that can connect to external displays and peripherals.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/6/8560195/microsoft-continuum-for-phones-windows-10
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:53:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/6/8560195/microsoft-continuum-for-phones-windows-10

Not quite what I'm talking about. Neat idea if you use Windows Phone. Why shouldn't you be able to remotely interact with your phone if it's running basically the same OS?

I'm talking about having a virtual machine (say, running Windows or a full desktop Linux distro) running on a phone that runs Android, with the display and I/O peripherals capable of running on external devices. We're not quite there yet... but I think in a few years, it'll be possible.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still like to be able to remotely display my screen or an application from my Android phone to a desktop or laptop. that would be pretty nice.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 1:22:27 PM EDT
[#48]
I received my ZenFone today.  I got the 64gb model.  Feels cheap compared to the Samsung it's replacing, but since it was cheaper than the Samsung it's replacing, I can't complain.    I like it so far.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I received my ZenFone today.  I got the 64gb model.  Feels cheap compared to the Samsung it's replacing, but since it was cheaper than the Samsung it's replacing, I can't complain.    I like it so far.
View Quote

Let us know how your batterylife is.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 4:34:07 PM EDT
[#50]
I might go for this shit eventually, because Samsung got all gay and took away the sdcard.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top