Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/9/2015 11:15:17 PM EDT
Partly inspired by this thread from last year
Also inspired by the fact that I filed a form 1 for an 8", .30 cal silencer last July, and this is the only .30 cal rifle I own

Also pictured: the minimum eye wear for shooting it

Not light

Not short

The missing link

Somewhere along the line while making it today I said "I wanna go shoot this thing" and I stopped working on making it look nice.  Now that I know it works I'll round the edges on that block and sand down the welds on the can

It suppresses well enough that I started this thread.  "If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried," doesn't apply here

The gas bukkake they warned about in the other thread is very true, thus the motorcycle goggles.  

Garand and .25-06

Because

I'll try to get a video tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 11:19:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome!!  

Also, IN before FluffytheCat gets ahold of your angus...!
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 11:20:47 PM EDT
[#2]
First garland I've seen suppressed! Awesome OP
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 11:22:08 PM EDT
[#3]
want video nao

this will kick the shit out of that canuck with every other goddamn garand in the world.  silencers, bitch!  USA! USA! USA!
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 11:22:42 PM EDT
[#4]
NO!!!
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 11:23:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Cool!
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 11:23:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Hell yea!!!
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 11:23:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn't do it but still cool.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 11:24:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool.  Too bad you don't have a M-1D scope base and M-84 scope for it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 11:25:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
NO!!!
View Quote

you shut your whore mouth Ludd
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 11:25:31 PM EDT
[#10]
tag for video
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 11:26:34 PM EDT
[#11]
OP, you read my mind. Last couple days I've been wondering if something like this would be feasible-my idea involved having the can dedicated to the M1 though, and having a stronger version of the gas cylinder lock a permanent part. Your version is probably a better choice.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 11:27:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
NO!!!
View Quote

Why? The rifle is unfucked-with, and the suppressor parts can be removed in seconds. It's not like he sporterized it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 11:27:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 11:29:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Video!
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 11:31:27 PM EDT
[#15]
any concerns about the oprod bending or jumping and smacking your face?
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 11:31:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Did not know you could do that to a Garand.

Not sure I would, but your gun, your rules.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 11:34:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
OP, you read my mind. Last couple days I've been wondering if something like this would be feasible-my idea involved having the can dedicated to the M1 though, and having a stronger version of the gas cylinder lock a permanent part. Your version is probably a better choice.
View Quote

I thought about that too, but getting it to clock correctly to the gas cylinder, and having a locking screw to the gas cylinder, and having a bleed off port I could adjust was hard enough to imagine, let alone draw, let alone make.
I liked going this way, because if the Garand didn't take to it I could make a 5/8-24 to 3/4-20 thread adapter and I have a regular .308 can like any of them
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 11:35:18 PM EDT
[#18]
In before Fluffy karate chops OP.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 11:40:47 PM EDT
[#19]
What does this do to the pressure curve? I would be concerned about b ending an oprod, Our beloved Garands aren't quite as robust in the gas system as other rifles we play with
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 11:41:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Schuster Adjustable Gas Plug.  Start with it bleeding all the gas off and turn it in until it cycles and locks back on the last round, so it's not coming back any harder or faster than before.

Quoted:

I don't think anybody did.  A google search for M1 Garand Silencer or Suppressor shows about five people asking if it can be done, one video game picture and exactly shit else.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 11:46:21 PM EDT
[#21]
That's so fucking cool...
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 11:46:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Well shit, you don't see that everyday.

Nice work OP.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 9:07:28 AM EDT
[#23]
I have seen it done but as you said the big turn off was blow back in the shooters face. How about a video with sound?
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 6:07:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Actual Range Report

First video.  Shot with a Go Pro, but I had to edit it down to Potato Quality so that it would upload this year

Link for actual potatos
Four shots with the suppressed Garand, Four shots with a regular one, a few shots with a regular 10/22, then repeated.
As usual, videos do a bad job of showing how well cans do or don't work.  It's a bit louder than the .22, but definitely closer to it than to the regular Garand.
I fired one clip with no ear plugs, and one shot with no plug through the regular one.  About 3-4 seconds of echo with the loud shot, about 1/2 a second or less echo with the canned one.

POI shifted down about 27 MOA

Number of shots until silencer is too hot to touch: 1

With the gas plug adjusted to run with the can, it will not cycle at all without it.  Moves the bolt about 1/2".
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Actual Range Report

First video.  Shot with a Go Pro, but I had to edit it down to Potato Quality so that it would upload this year
http://youtu.be/4atiLejMl5M
Link for actual potatos
Four shots with the suppressed Garand, Four shots with a regular one, a few shots with a regular 10/22, then repeated.
As usual, videos do a bad job of showing how well cans do or don't work.  It's a bit louder than the .22, but definitely closer to it than to the regular Garand.
I fired one clip with no ear plugs, and one shot with no plug through the regular one.  About 3-4 seconds of echo with the loud shot, about 1/2 a second or less echo with the canned one.

With the gas plug adjusted to run with the can, it will not cycle at all without it.  Moves the bolt about 1/2".
View Quote

I hope that Garand has a serial number that keeps a Canadian from having quintuplets, or something.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 6:37:17 PM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 5/10/2015 6:48:09 PM EDT
[#27]
very cool but that can is way too small for the 06.

even with with a go pro you can hear the increase in sound as the volume is too small.

try some wire lube with goggles

Link Posted: 5/10/2015 7:54:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Second Vid:

The camera catches the sound difference better in this one, and the dirt tells the rest of the story.

Not going to sugarcoat it: This thing is definitely a range toy

Reasons:
12 lbs and 52".  It made the regular M1 feel like an AR15 Carbine
The need for excessive eye protection compared to any other gun*.  I fired two shots without the goggles.  There will not be a third.
*I've got a Rube Goldberg idea for a trapdoor gas shield that uses the op rod to pop open for the 8th round, but I would have to butcher the stock, and it would still be huge and heavy.
Lot of mirage.  After about two clips the mirage coming off the can plus the fog in the goggles made it almost impossible to see through the rear sight

A little dirty

Note which guns aren't allowed to sit on the carpet
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 8:07:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Second Vid:

http://youtu.be/FxBYZ7Sz0Rk

The camera catches the sound difference better in this one, and the dirt tells the rest of the story.

Not going to sugarcoat it: This thing is definitely a range toy

Reasons:
12 lbs and 52".  It made the regular M1 feel like an AR15 Carbine
The need for excessive eye protection compared to any other gun*.  I fired two shots without the goggles.  There will not be a third.
*I've got a Rube Goldberg idea for a trapdoor gas shield that uses the op rod to pop open for the 8th round, but I would have to butcher the stock, and it would still be huge and heavy.
Lot of mirage.  After about two clips the mirage coming off the can plus the fog in the goggles made it almost impossible to see through the rear sight

A little dirty
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z8/brokowsj/P1030241copy_zpszuzr9qaj.jpg
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z8/brokowsj/P1030239copy_zpsmnxmjafa.jpg

Note which guns aren't allowed to sit on the carpet
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z8/brokowsj/P1030238_zpshghwh2r1.jpg
View Quote

Very cool!
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 8:27:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Schuster Adjustable Gas Plug.  Start with it bleeding all the gas off and turn it in until it cycles and locks back on the last round, so it's not coming back any harder or faster than before.

I don't think anybody did.  A google search for M1 Garand Silencer or Suppressor shows about five people asking if it can be done, one video game picture and exactly shit else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

In Peter Senich's 'Complete Book of US Sniping', he has a photo, from Korea, IIRC, of an M1 in the field (i.e., shooting at commies) equipped with a Maxim-type silencer.  

Link Posted: 5/10/2015 8:38:23 PM EDT
[#31]
What baffle design did you use? Number of baffles? Distance to the first baffle?
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 8:40:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Actual Range Report

Link for actual potatos

View Quote

Very cool indeed but in the video the rifle looks 73ft long
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 8:49:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What baffle design did you use? Number of baffles? Distance to the first baffle?
View Quote

1.375" freeze plug pressed to 30 degree cone.  0.375" hole
Maybe 13 or 14.  I welded the first two and then crammed them in until more wouldn't fit.  Kind of lost track of counting them
2.8" from the end of the can, about 2.1" from the muzzle

Edit: I just counted with a piece of wire, there's 14 baffles
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 9:11:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I hope that Garand has a serial number that keeps a Canadian from having quintuplets, or something.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Actual Range Report

Link for actual potatos

What a hurtful sentiment to have
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 11:03:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Bump for awesomeness
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 11:08:36 AM EDT
[#36]
WWII must have been REALLY loud!

Cool deal, OP.

TC
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 11:11:18 AM EDT
[#37]
in before eventual bent op rod..
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 12:08:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

even with the gas regulator?
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 12:18:07 PM EDT
[#39]

Nice setup!
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 6:26:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Freaking awesome!
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 10:42:56 PM EDT
[#41]

Neat.

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 10:54:44 PM EDT
[#42]
You're a sick, sick man.

More vids, plz.  Thx.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 10:58:41 PM EDT
[#43]
OP I've never seen such a big wrong feel so right. Well done.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 11:02:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Very well done OP.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 11:05:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"IF" its ported correctly, for that one load only.. ya it will work.  it would be better to make a new cap, with a adjustable needle. Like a jet to adjust the gas.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 11:19:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Very interesting.

Dr. Phil Dater once wrote that a sound suppressor should have at least 9X the volume of the bore.  After doing some research, it seems the back end of the suppressor needs an expansion chamber behind the baffles (in front of the muzzle).

Would be fun to experiment with different designs (internal layout).

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 10:10:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

"IF" its ported correctly, for that one load only.. ya it will work.  it would be better to make a new cap, with a adjustable needle. Like a jet to adjust the gas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're probably thinking of the Garand Gear Ported plug, which has a cavity to add volume to the gas cylinder.  The Schuster plug has a tapered hole venting to the outside with a set screw to dial the size of the hole.  So I start with almost no gas pushing the op rod back, and adjust the set screw in until it has just enough pressure to lock the bolt back on empty.  The excess gas either goes out the port or into my hair.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 4:38:07 AM EDT
[#48]
This is a historic achievement, and this thread has far too few comments.  Any updates OP?  How is it holding up?
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 5:06:00 AM EDT
[#49]
The significance of your work cannot be overstated!

Outstanding, keep moving forward, get a patent now!
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 5:44:40 AM EDT
[#50]
stop, my penis can only get so hard.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top