Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2015 6:50:57 PM EDT
I believe this Craftsmen was made in the early 1980's and was given to me by my late uncle who bought it new. It is a model 536.885400 and says 4/20 on the front and I think a 4.5hp engine. Were these considered good sno-blowers in the day? The tank tracks are like new and work extremely well to drive this heavy girl through the deep snow. It has enough power to throw snow from the far side of my 3 car wide driveway to the 3rd bay but not all the way across all 3 bays. Does not work at all in wet snow as the chute clogs but great in powder(not sure if this is good or bad as I never have used a sno-blower before.
Engine seems to run well but surges from time to time but throttling up helps that. Is this normal? I changed the oil to 0w30 German Castrol, tighten all nuts and bolts, sprayed the drive chain and gears with chain lube and coated the entire steel body with oil to protect it. What other maintenance should I consider for the old girl? Thanks for any input!!!

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 6:56:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty damn cool is what it is.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:00:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like a dual stage, does it have a impeller below the chute? If it is clogging try more engine speed and lower drive speed.

I had a old craftsman single stage and it hated wet heavy snow.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:24:05 PM EDT
[#3]
She's cute

Are those her real teeth?
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:25:42 PM EDT
[#4]
It's like a baby flail tank.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:33:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a cheap tub of car wax, wax the hell out of the chute and the impeller to stop slush from sticking.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:35:10 PM EDT
[#6]
4/20? That there's the Colorado Special.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:37:50 PM EDT
[#7]
It looks like an Ariens
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:38:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Its free and it works, what is not to like?
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:43:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Very nice condition for its age. The surging engine is probably caused by a dry rotted diaphram in the carb allowing too much gas through making for a rich condition. If it starts out running smooth when cold and progressively runs rougher and blows black smoke as it warms up that's your problem. New diaphram is cheap and easy to replace.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:44:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I think I saw it lose on Battlebots.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:46:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very nice condition for its age. The surging engine is probably caused by a dry rotted diaphram in the carb allowing too much gas through making for a rich condition. If it starts out running smooth when cold and progressively runs rougher and blows black smoke as it warms up that's your problem. New diaphram is cheap and easy to replace.
View Quote

Thanks! What do you think it is worth? Not for sale, just wondering.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:46:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think I saw it lose on Battlebots.
View Quote

Ha ha!!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:59:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right now very little. During next years first snow storm you could probably get a couple Benjamins for it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:00:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Get a cheap tub of car wax, wax the hell out of the chute and the impeller to stop slush from sticking.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Hose the inside of the chute down with WD 40.  Did this all winter long up here and never clogged a chute once.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:31:20 PM EDT
[#15]
4/20=4hp, 20" cutting width

I had a 5/24 for maybe 15yrs.  Great little blowers.  Did a plug and filter every other year and yearly lube and linkage adjustments.  Full tank w/stabil every spring and it never took more than 2 pulls to start the entire time I owned it.  

When you're actively blowing snow it should be wide open, part throttle is for shutdown or idling while you scrape ice from your beard.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top