Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2015 1:28:45 PM EDT
I think my Craftsman self-propelled purchased in 1993 is about to kick the bucket.  What's the best mower I can get at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc?  Don't have a big enough yard to justify a riding mower.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 1:35:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Honda is probably the best at a big box store though the Cub Cadets look good too.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 1:41:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Honda w plastic deck

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 1:42:30 PM EDT
[#4]
... Juan Jimenez in Mesa, Arizona
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:07:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Honda

My 1993 Honda is still going strong.  Starts in one or two pulls every time.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:11:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm tired of the whole gas/oil/spark plug/air filter/loud/maintenance/winterizing thing so today I picked up one of these:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-20-in-56-Volt-Lithium-ion-3-in-1-Cordless-Lawn-Mower-LM2001/204746234
I've only used it once but it's incredibly light and easy to push (not self-propelled), did a good job on my lawn (mulching) and it was a snap to use then folded up quickly/easily for storage in a corner of my garage. It's quiet enough I can mow anytime I like (no hearing protection needed) and has an LED headlight for night use. So far I'm *very* pleased with it.
Tomac
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:20:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:24:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

That is the one I picked up several years ago and it has been great. The Quad Cut system really chops the grass finely if you are mulching it. And the Auto Choke system is great as well. You won't be sorry if you pick this one.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:33:13 PM EDT
[#9]
If you would have read any other GD lawn mower thread, you would already know the answer.

Since you must have missed those, I'll give you the answer.....you have to get a 60 inch commercial zero turn mower for $15,000 otherwise the piece of shit you buy at the box store won't last one mowing. Yes, the answer is still the same even if you have a postage stamp lot.

I disregarded gds advice and bought a new cub cadet xt1. So far so good.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:40:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Toro's run fine for me.  Keep fresh gas and oil in it, replace the plug and air filter every year.  Keeps on purring.

I've had Honda's too but honestly for a push mower, for a small yard, I couldn't tell the $100+ difference between the Toro I have now and the Honda.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:43:28 PM EDT
[#11]

I have this one and have nothing but good things to say about it.  Surprisingly, it's lighter than the plastic deck models.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 3:44:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Dixie chopper.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:06:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Honda.  I didn't want the self propelled push behind, had to order the non self propelled push behind from the interwebs.  Love it.  Starting it's second season with it
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:09:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Honda.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:12:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That is the one I picked up several years ago and it has been great. The Quad Cut system really chops the grass finely if you are mulching it. And the Auto Choke system is great as well. You won't be sorry if you pick this one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I picked up one a few weeks ago and its great so far

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:14:35 PM EDT
[#16]

I bought that one last summer.  Fires right up on the first pull and does a nice job of cutting the grass.  It is fast for a self propelled, too.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:18:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Got a Honda this year after my piece of shit lawn boy stopped running.  I really like it so far and it clips the grass really short so I don't have to empty the bag as often.   I was looking at a comparable cub cadet at Costco but it was a little more and had a Briggs and straten engine.  I'm sure its a good mower but I'd rather have a Honda engine.   I'm only mowing 1/3 of an acre though.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:07:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Honda
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:21:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Toro Personal Pace w/bag of of CL.

$150-200-isj.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:28:18 PM EDT
[#20]
How small is your yard? I just use one of the Fiskars Reel Mowers, I like not having to mess with gasoline, oil, or an engine.

http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Staysharp-Reel-Mower-18-Inch/dp/B0045VL1OO/?tag=facebook04ca-20
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:29:57 PM EDT
[#21]
I like my toro recycler self propelled.  It will be a lot cheaper than a honda
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top