Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/3/2015 4:16:59 AM EDT
My brother in law recently told my sister that he thought a white Impala has been following him around.
He says that he has seen it follow him multiple times and it has parked on the edge of the road and watched him while he farms his fields. He says he's seen it all over the place (he farms 2000+ acres and has land all over this half of the county.)

Well supposedly many other members of the family have seen this same impala watching him.
He was farming one day last week when a friend that helps him run special machinery was present and the car showed up.
My BIL and this friend approached the car to confront the man who appeared to be a Hispanic male and they saw that he was photographing them.  As they got close he pulled back onto the road and stopped. As my BIL got to the window the man pointed down the road and floored it.
While this was happening the friend memorized the plate number.
When they called the sheriff they were told that the plates belong to a silver grand prix.

A couple days later my sister was home with their 3 small children (1, 2, and 4) and they all had the flu. My sister walked into the living room and noticed a car in front of the house through a crack in the blinds.
As soon as she opened the blinds to see a white impala it speed off.
She called the cops and was put on hold for 10 minutes, 45 min later a squad car showed up.
The cops are brushing it off and saying "it's probably nothing"

As of now my sister is putting up cameras and keeping an AR close and my brother in law is carrying a shotgun everywhere he goes. They both plan on getting their carry permits ASAP. They are very nervous about this situation.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:31:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I would start packing heat right now; permission slip signed or not.  2000+ acres you say? that's a lot of disappeared land.....

ETA: him and a couple friends should have a mostly friendly chat with the guy.
I have been drinking btw....

ETA2:  might be a PI and your sister is looking to take 1/2 of everything he owns.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:32:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Somebody's been cheatin.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:35:29 AM EDT
[#3]
He should take up hog farming.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:36:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Wild-assed guesses: is your brother in law about to get sued for something? Did he file any disability claims or anything? Workman's comp? Did Monsanto seed blow across the road into his field? Competitors moving in on his turf? Prep for a Mafia hit?
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:38:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wild-assed guesses: is your brother in law about to get sued for something? Did he file any disability claims or anything? Workman's comp? Did Monsanto seed blow across the road into his field? Competitors moving in on his turf? Prep for a Mafia hit?
View Quote

This...................
who did he piss off lately?
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:42:28 AM EDT
[#6]
supposedly the sheriff said the plates were in their system as having been turned in.
they posed the idea of a PI and asked if they had any pending lawsuits and they said the only thing they could think of was my BIL's sister was about to sue a local Quarry after one of their trucks T-boned their nephew and the quarries insurance company is getting very shitty over their refusal to hand over the vehicle that was hit. (their lawyer said to take possession ASAP)
my sister and BIL are not involved in this lawsuit in any way though.

a couple other ideas were that it could be either related to meth cooks (they've found waste on their property in the past) or a local drug task force (a couple years ago a drug task force was watching a dump site on my BIL's land)

they also wondered if it could be an intimidation tactic due with the contractors they fired from building their new house (it got nasty)
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:43:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Somebody's been cheatin.
View Quote

nope, my sisters the one that brought it to my attention.  when they had rocky times in the past she didn't keep any secrets from me.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:57:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Legal/lawsuit related, they may just not know it yet
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:01:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My brother in law recently told my sister that he thought a white Impala has been following him around.
He says that he has seen it follow him multiple times and it has parked on the edge of the road and watched him while he farms his fields. He says he's seen it all over the place (he farms 2000+ acres and has land all over this half of the county.)

Well supposedly many other members of the family have seen this same impala watching him.
He was farming one day last week when a friend that helps him run special machinery was present and the car showed up.
My BIL and this friend approached the car to confront the man who appeared to be a Hispanic male and they saw that he was photographing them.  As they got close he pulled back onto the road and stopped. As my BIL got to the window the man pointed down the road and floored it.
While this was happening the friend memorized the plate number.
When they called the sheriff they were told that the plates belong to a silver grand prix.

A couple days later my sister was home with their 3 small children (1, 2, and 4) and they all had the flu. My sister walked into the living room and noticed a car in front of the house through a crack in the blinds.
As soon as she opened the blinds to see a white impala it speed off.
She called the cops and was put on hold for 10 minutes, 45 min later a squad car showed up.
The cops are brushing it off and saying "it's probably nothing"

As of now my sister is putting up cameras and keeping an AR close and my brother in law is carrying a shotgun everywhere he goes. They both plan on getting their carry permits ASAP. They are very nervous about this situation.
View Quote

How to tell if you're being followed:

Make 4 turns in a row all in the same direction so that you go in a circle, since there is no reason to do that, anyone who makes the turns with you is probably following you.

Cut through a parking lot, same thing, since that is an unlikely coincidence, if someone makes the maneuver with you they are probably following you.

Pull a crazy ivan, make a sudden U turn (if safe) and steer directly toward your assumed pursuer, if they U turn too than there is no doubt at all they are following you.  If they WERE following you and wish to remain discreet this will also force them to break off their pursuit , it may also disrupt the timing of accomplices following along on parallel streets causing them to lose you.

If he is being followed I would say the trade craft of whoever is doing it sucks, which is why it is so obvious, so its probably an amateur, what does that tell you?  I don't know, but its a clue, unless of course they WANT to be seen...

If he does note a pursuit, he might try driving directly to the nearest police station, very few will follow in to there, and if they do, so much the better.  DO NOT go home unless you have to, you do not want to lead whoever it is to your house. If you MUST return home, assuming your not living alone, call ahead and inform them that you are coming in hot and to be prepared, and ready a defense, then be prepared to jump out of the car and go directly in where the door should be waiting to be opened for you and locked immediately behind you.

From the description I'm going to guess a  PI.  Feds and cops, while not above stupidity probably would not be that obvious, and a criminal looking for a score would have either struck, or just moved on by now.  That leaves 3 possibilities:

A PI (Cheating on the spouse, or file any workman's comp claims lately?)
A random psycho who has fixated on your brother in law and his family for some reason (II don't think this is the case).
Your brother in law is in to something you don't know about, something that would create (dangerous) enemies, or possibly he owes his bookie.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:08:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Since you said he farms, is it possible that he is being investigated for violation of patented ag tech. Do you know if he is using any companies patented seeds and saving them in violation of the contract?
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:14:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Silenced 308 into the engine block

S

S

S

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:18:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Since you said he farms, is it possible that he is being investigated for violation of patented ag tech. Do you know if he is using any companies patented seeds and saving them in violation of the contract?
View Quote

Don't ignore the possibility that it's some asshole from EPA or some other damn revenooer, either.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:49:30 AM EDT
[#13]
It seems most suspicious that they are being so obvious about it.

Sounds almost like someone just trying to freak them out and put them on edge..
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 6:00:22 AM EDT
[#14]
if it was AG related I don't think they would show up at their house in the middle of town
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 6:03:49 AM EDT
[#15]

I'd minimize the number of guns that were readily traceable back to me in case there was some sort of accident.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 6:07:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
if it was AG related I don't think they would show up at their house in the middle of town
View Quote

Unless they are documenting the transport of patented materials as part of building a case.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 6:14:16 AM EDT
[#17]
cartel
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 6:27:31 AM EDT
[#18]
So run surveillance of your own and post some damn pics OP.  

You are now posting in a safe thread.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 6:46:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 6:56:12 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Somebody's been cheatin.
View Quote

This, or somebody's been doing something that got them on the po po's radar.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:17:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Don't ignore the possibility that it's some asshole from EPA or some other damn revenooer, either.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Given the federal government's war on productive citizens, I'm gonna go with this one
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:27:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm gonna go with this. Your fam may not even know they're doing something wrong. If it were anything else, shit would've happened by now.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:33:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Legal/lawsuit related, they may just not know it yet
View Quote

This.

I'm a former PI. Dude surveilling them sucks at his job. Hell, he might even have his identities screwed up and thinks he's watching the ones who are suing the quarry.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:39:31 AM EDT
[#24]
My question for all you that are saying po po, PI, Gov agency or insurance investigator

Why would they put fake plates on their official vehicle?

If it were the cops why would the plates come back registered to a white impala instead of a silver GP why do that on an official police vehicle? Wouldn't the cops just have it registered to a Mr John Doe?

I mean if the cops ran the plate and it was the police wouldn't they just come back and say plates check out in our system get tipped off that some GOV agency and was doing surveillance on them.

If it was a private  PI or insurance investigator why risk putting fake plates on your car that could get you pulled over and charged with false registration and cause you all sorts of legal hassles, that would be an insurance liability why put your business at risk if your business is doing private PI work?

That is the only thing that makes me doubt it's official.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:41:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
this. What part of Iowa?
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:45:48 AM EDT
[#26]
God created .30 cal AP on M1 enbloc clips for a reason.

Just sayin'.

If this guy is driving around with stolen tags he's up to no good.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:17:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
God created .30 cal AP on M1 enbloc clips for a reason.

Just sayin'.

If this guy is driving around with stolen tags he's up to no good.
View Quote

Or he's a ghetto dumbass who let his plates expire and took the good plates off his other car that doesn't run. All sorts of reasons. There are good PI's, but there is also a revolving door of borderline retarded wannabes who watch too much TV, so they think people are blind and stupid. Or they live in the city so they have no concept of how to be inconspicuous in rural/small town settings. Combine the two and you have a perfect storm of incompetence. A criminal isn't gonna be taking pictures and video of some dude farming.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:23:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
this. What part of Iowa?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this. What part of Iowa?

Buchanan county, just north of Independence.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:37:23 AM EDT
[#29]
I would simply ask him why he is following me. He would answer i am sure.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:44:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Record everything, put on youtube under "Monsanto terrorizes local farmer with intimidation game" watch it go viral.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:46:26 AM EDT
[#31]
have some buddys box him in and get an get some pics
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:48:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
supposedly the sheriff said the plates were in their system as having been turned in.
they posed the idea of a PI and asked if they had any pending lawsuits and they said the only thing they could think of was my BIL's sister was about to sue a local Quarry after one of their trucks T-boned their nephew and the quarries insurance company is getting very shitty over their refusal to hand over the vehicle that was hit. (their lawyer said to take possession ASAP)

a couple other ideas were that it could be either related to meth cooks (they've found waste on their property in the past) or a local drug task force (a couple years ago a drug task force was watching a dump site on my BIL's land)

they also wondered if it could be an intimidation tactic due with the contractors they fired from building their new house (it got nasty)
View Quote

Wow, I guess my life is boring
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:48:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Record everything, put on youtube under "Monsanto terrorizes local farmer with intimidation game" watch it go viral.
View Quote

1.5 mil views in 46.5 hours.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:58:17 AM EDT
[#34]
First thing I thought of was my brother in law. He said all of the same things, people are following him, stalking him, looking in windows at him. His wife even told him someone put a tracking device on their car. It turns out he was having some mental health issues. I am not saying this is the case here....only that was my experience

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:03:22 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

have some buddys box him in and get an get some pics
View Quote

Have some buddy's box him in, and wait the 45 fucking minutes for the Sheriff to arrive and arrest the guy.  Now that it's been reported they should be able to do something if you have 4 vehicles box him in.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:03:39 AM EDT
[#36]
If this stalker is parking in the same place when he is watching your sister's and BIL's house, then perhaps some nails should their way to this spot.  Follow them when they leave and then have a long conversation with them when tires go flat.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:04:58 AM EDT
[#37]
It is a private investigator
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:13:25 AM EDT
[#38]
What legit entity would have bad plates on their vehicle?

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:15:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Maybe it's Des Moines Water Works investigating? If they live north of Des Moines and farm along the Des Moines river Water Works wants to sue them for high nitrates in the river. So maybe that's why the guy was taking pictures?

Otherwise I would suggest the next time your bil sees the Impala while in the field to call 3 buddy's to come down the road together and box him in.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:19:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Do you have any friends that are cops that could do a suspicious vehicle stop
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:20:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

All of those would have me feeling uneasy. Damn.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:21:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Sounds like a PI and he got the plate number wrong. In for the impending lawsuit.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:22:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Have a buddy in stand-by with a full tank of gas.  Next time shows, call buddy, hop in the car with him, and follow the dude.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:28:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not in that kind of car, with the plate that was used.

.gov won't flee, either.

Use friends. Box them in. Confront.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:31:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Meth lab on the back 40. The guy in the car is detailed to watch the family while the cook is in progress so Walter isn't interrupted.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:33:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Get camera.

Take pictures back.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:37:15 AM EDT
[#47]
You want a picture motherfucker?

Here ya go ...

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:38:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Someone doing property assessments?
View Quote

I've run into both property assessment/real estate comps.  They usually bend  over backward and hand you a business card so they don't get the popo called on them.  They would not be running off and they likely wouldn't make multiple trips to the same property.  

PI's on the other hand would run off.  And most PI's stick out like a sore thumb in the country because they can't blend in.  It's pretty hard to run surveillance on a disability insurance case in the middle of flatland farming nowhere without sitting obviously in your car and trespassing in the woods/hedgerows.

Does the sister watch said nephew with the Quarry truck related injury?  They could very well be trying to establish that he's running around like any normal healthy kid.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:38:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Private investigator?  

Property assessment requires entering onto the property and buildings in particular.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:38:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry, I just woke up and got my coffee. This is the first of this post I've seen this morning...

I'm a 21 year veteran PI and I own a licensed detective agency with numerous investigators in different cities (...and yes, I'm sorry to say that I took a few "brown bag beans" cases from a farm product company that shall remain unnamed about 15 years ago when we needed the business...Hey, we needed the money. )

No, none of my people are watching you that I'm aware of.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top