Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2015 8:41:56 PM EDT
I googled the shit out of this topic and could not figure out what to do with this particular trim style. All of the videos and guides focus on interior door panels for vehicles with power locks and windows. I have the basic interior with none of that technology. It's a 2001 F150.

I figured out how to get the window cranks out of the way. It's just the door panel itself that is confusing me. I guess it has to be pried off, after removing some screw somewhere. I'd rather not break a bunch of shit trying to figure it out. Are there any mechanic types that have some advise?

My window cranks are on their way out and the door locks have to be changed. As a machinist, I get confused if there aren't socket head cap screws on every available surface. This hidden fastener stuff is beyond my level brain power.

This is the trim style:

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:44:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy the Chilton's manual for the Y/M/M of your vehicle. Buy the panel tool(s) (autozone etc..carries them), don't use a screwdriver (unless it's required). Take your time, and buy extra plastic push pins (or whatever there called). Don't try to half ass it, you'll regret the results of rattling panels, or worse cracked and broken areas.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:46:14 PM EDT
[#2]
There is a PITA wire clip on the window crank, the rest is phillips head and plastic pop ins.  Get a trim removal tool at NAPA for $15.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:47:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is a PITA wire clip on the window crank, the rest is phillips head and plastic pop ins.  Get a trim removal tool at NAPA for $15.
View Quote

Or the same kit from Harbor Freight for $8.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:48:25 PM EDT
[#4]
WTF is that handle thingy in the middle of the panel?

Once you remove the retaining screws, usually only 1 or 2 sometimes hidden on the bottom of the door trim, give it a good tug at the bottom.  They insert with these 1 way clips.  Then it needs to be pulled straight up to clear the door lock.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:48:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I won't be half assing this repair. I can't stand the rattling and cracked interiors that I have seen over the years.

I'll head to the auto parts place tomorrow, if they are open.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:49:11 PM EDT
[#6]
You may also have to lift up and out instead of just out. Most of the time, the plastic clips are angled and go down into their slots.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:50:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I hate those plastic trim panels.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:51:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's a youtube video for what looks to be the same type of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odqkTgHVK88
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odqkTgHVK88

ETA: from the guy's accent and the sound of a C-5 overhead, I think he's in Memphis

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:51:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
WTF is that handle thingy in the middle of the panel?

Once you remove the retaining screws, usually only 1 or 2 sometimes hidden on the bottom of the door trim, give it a good tug at the bottom.  They insert with these 1 way clips.  Then it needs to be pulled straight up to clear the door lock.
View Quote

Hell. There are 4 pedals on the drivers side floor. Then there is a short and a long stick in the middle of the floor. This vehicle has all kinds of strange stuff going on.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:51:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

That one shouldn't have plastic pop ins.

Remove the clip and the window crank, pop off the trim around the handle and the trim that goes up the top rear of the door, remove the screw at the door handle and the top rear of the panel, lift the panel up and off the door.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:52:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

You may also have to lift up and out instead of just out. Most of the time, the plastic clips are angled and go down into their slots.
View Quote
This.  Once the screws, window crank handle and clips have been taken care of, grab from the bottom and lift up.  Not out, up.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:53:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I hate those plastic trim panels.
View Quote

I liked it much better when the inner panels, and the dashboard, were steel.

Damn fancy-pants trucks any more these days........

ETA:  Oh, yeah, and carpet too. I used to think I was pretty slick when I got new vinyl mats to cover the floorboards.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:53:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

all you should have to do is remove the crank handle the actual "guts" are probably attached to the door body. That's the way it is on my 2013 with manual windows.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:57:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Gently pry up your armrest cushion- there might be a screw or 2 there.  Start at the bottom right corner; lay on your back looking up and go left or right looking for the plastic pins.  If you get the wide, slotted tool, wrap each arm in a layer of duct tape- it will help prevent marring.  Once you find a pin, slide it in between the arms of the pry tool, and give it a firm pry up and out.  They're probably gonna be pretty stiff, so plan on breaking a few.  Sometimes NAPA or whatever will have some generic or factory fit replacements so keep one handy if you have to get some.  Your stealership should also have some for sale.

As stated before, work your way around, until the panel hangs loosely, then left the panel up.  The top edge of the panel probably forms the inner edge of the window channel.  

This place is the shiznit for replacement stuff- highly recommended, even if you have to buy a box of 25 or whatever. Prices aren't bad, and having LOTS extra is just a bit more expensive than buying an exact number.

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:57:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I won't be half assing this repair. I can't stand the rattling and cracked interiors that I have seen over the years.

I'll head to the auto parts place tomorrow, if they are open.
View Quote

As everyone else has said, it's likely just clipped into place. I like to take a small screwdriver and VERY lightly poke around the bottom of the panel, it lets you find exactly where the clips are, then you can individually concentrate on pulling them free, and make sure you don't bend, crease or break the plastic trying to jerk it all off at once. It should come free with relatively little effort, if it feels too solidly fixed, I would look for a hidden or hard to access screw.
Finally, when you're putting it back together, if you get any rattles, you can use some stick on foam to tension the panel/pad it against the metal of the door and stop rattling. I've used this a couple times, including on my own truck, where the previous owner had wallowed out one of the holes in the door, for some reason.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:58:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep this may be the case. You need to know if your panels have fingers(hooks) that slip into a hole to hold them in. If yours does (and going from memory it likely does), you do NOT want to yank it outward, you will break the fingers(hooks), and you will be buying a new panel.

Not all panels are secured with clips.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:02:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I watched the vid I linked above and it is a lift-up-to-remove panel.
Gotta first take off the door b-pillar trim, window crank (uses a screw, not a c-clip) and a few other screws, then lift upwards on the door pull.

No trim tools needed except for removing the b-pillar trim and the latch handle surround.
Didn't seem to have any christmas tree fasteners.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:06:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Don"t pry out on the panel!

Again, there are two screws, once they are out and the crank is off lift the panel up to take it off.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:16:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I watched the vid I linked above and it is a lift-up-to-remove panel.
Gotta first take off the door b-pillar trim, window crank (uses a screw, not a c-clip) and a few other screws, then lift upwards on the door pull.

No trim tools needed except for removing the b-pillar trim and the latch handle surround.
Didn't seem to have any christmas tree fasteners.
View Quote

Missed your linked vid!
Just like I thought though.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:22:18 PM EDT
[#20]
You have to lift up on those ford panels- sometimes sharply.
It does not pry or pop straight out like most others.
Of course, you have to remove the door handle trim, 2 attaching screws, and window crank first.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:33:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Thank you for the help, arfcom folks.

I'll mess with the door tomorrow morning.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:43:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:41:26 PM EDT
[#23]
IIRC there are three screws. one under the A- pillar sail molding; it pops off. One under the door armrest trim, it pops off from the front side. one under the little light on the  lower side of the panel, it also pops off. The hardware is all 7 mm. Once they are all removed, the panel lifts straight up. The anchors are wedge blocks that lock in tighter when the panel drops. No clips or prying.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:37:06 PM EDT
[#24]
use a cutting wheel  cut out a square from the sheet metal side of the door.    
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:41:46 PM EDT
[#25]
When I have a situation like this I remember an old adage.
" There are few problems which cannot be solved by proper use of high explosives."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top