Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2015 9:24:34 AM EDT
Saw an old movie, The Carpet Baggers on the TV guide. Didn't watch it. I always thought this was some racist or slang expression (Thought the same about "call a spade a spade" comment) so I never used the terms.

So, describe a carpet bagger. Just from right after the CW? Only a Yank who went south to take advantage or gain? Bad people? Notable carpet baggers?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:26:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Yankee go home.

In United States history, a carpetbagger was a Northerner who moved to the South after the American Civil War, especially during the Reconstruction era (1865–1877), in order to profit from the instability and power vacuum that existed at this time.
View Quote
- wikipedia
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:26:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Yankees who invade.

Racist term?  I have never thought of it as such. Certainly a pejorative.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yankees who invade.

Racist term?  I have never thought of it as such. Certainly a pejorative.
View Quote

No, it was totally my ignorance. Figured it was about illegals picking up job site trash and bagging carpet. Had to look it up.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:30:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Southerners who invade the north- like Hill-Billy.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:31:44 AM EDT
[#5]
It still applies today....Yankee, GTFO

That being said my family were kinda sorta "carpet baggers". Technically. They immigrated to the US and moved to Texas in that time period after spending a few years (like 5) in Illinois and starting a blood feud
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:34:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No, it was totally my ignorance. Figured it was about illegals picking up job site trash and bagging carpet. Had to look it up.
View Quote

Nope it has absolutely nothing to do with them. Remember the movie "The Outlaw Josie Wales"?? Remember the guy in the white suit selling the "tonic" the Josie spat on? He was a carpetbagger.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:38:02 AM EDT
[#7]
There were no notable carpet baggers. Nor honorable carpet baggers. Nor carpet baggers who did not deserve to be dragged behind a horse.

Still that way today.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:42:26 AM EDT
[#8]
We still have them.

Terence Richard "Terry" McAuliffe is an American businessman, Democratic politician and the 72nd Governor of Virginia. Wikipedia
Born: February 9, 1957 (age 58), Syracuse, NY
Office: Governor of Virginia since 2014
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:47:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Maybe it was because it was Texas history but we learned about ''carpet baggers'' in elementary school.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:49:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We still have them.

http://theblacksphere.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/TerryMcCauliffe.jpg

Terence Richard "Terry" McAuliffe is an American businessman, Democratic politician and the 72nd Governor of Virginia. Wikipedia
View Quote

Fuck that guy.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:05:09 AM EDT
[#11]
I used to call Hillary Clinton one after she moved to New York and ran for senate.

I know it's the opposite of what one is....
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:05:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Maybe it was because it was Texas history but we learned about ''carpet baggers'' in elementary school.
View Quote

OP grew up in CA in the 70's. We were not taught east coast, north, or south problems.

We were taught Pete Seeger songs for the talent show in 4th grade.

Lots of time writing sentences on the black board after school, but no "east of the Mississippi" history besides stealing land from the poor Indians.

ETA... They had bags made of carpet??
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:12:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yankee go home.

- wikipedia
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yankee go home.

In United States history, a carpetbagger was a Northerner who moved to the South after the American Civil War, especially during the Reconstruction era (1865–1877), in order to profit from the instability and power vacuum that existed at this time.
- wikipedia

Capitalism FTW.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:28:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Capitalism FTW.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yankee go home.

- wikipedia

Capitalism FTW.

They were not profiting from the 'instability and power vacuum', they were buying land for pennies on the dollar at tax auctions.  The southern land owners were expected to pay reparations to the Fed.  With no US dollars and with farms burned into oblivion by Sherman (may everlasting fuck be upon him), the land owners ended up with their land being confiscated and sold at tax auctions.  The carpetbaggers (called that because their bags were made of material that resembled carpets, duh) came down from the north with an eye on buying up all they could for cheap and becoming the new 'landed gentry'.  Nasty bloodsucking leeches would be the kindest name for them.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:32:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yankee go home.

- wikipedia
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yankee go home.

- wikipedia

Yep they cornered the cotton market at rock bottom prices because they could pay in gold.....and could spread it around to gain advantage....

Gen Grant (much to his chagrin) tried to stop them but he was interfered with by those bought off in Washington D.C. as well.

The History Channel tells the story a bit differently....two sides to every story.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:43:17 AM EDT
[#16]
bunch of scalawags in here..
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:49:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

They were not profiting from the 'instability and power vacuum', they were buying land for pennies on the dollar at tax auctions.  The southern land owners were expected to pay reparations to the Fed.  With no US dollars and with farms burned into oblivion by Sherman (may everlasting fuck be upon him), the land owners ended up with their land being confiscated and sold at tax auctions.  The carpetbaggers (called that because their bags were made of material that resembled carpets, duh) came down from the north with an eye on buying up all they could for cheap and becoming the new 'landed gentry'.  Nasty bloodsucking leeches would be the kindest name for them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yankee go home.

- wikipedia

Capitalism FTW.

i never thought it possible that people could actually be in need of therapy for something that happened over a hundred years before they were born until I talked to some southerners about the Civil War.  It's like PTSD is genetically passed down the line.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:51:32 AM EDT
[#18]
in modern times, the invasive species known as the carpetbagger has altered its migration patterns and no longer moves in just a southerly direction. Case in point, this Masshole.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:00:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

i never thought it possible that people could actually be in need of therapy for something that happened over a hundred years before they were born until I talked to some southerners about the Civil War.  It's like PTSD is genetically passed down the line.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yankee go home.

- wikipedia

Capitalism FTW.

Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

I've walked the battle grounds of the Civil War and researched the details as a hobby.  Finding personal connections to the past is not PTSD, it's an interest in what has shaped our present.  Reading the letters of soldiers on both sides and following their footsteps to their graves gives you a much better appreciation for what happened than a one chapter summary in a text book.  

Fun fact - Arlington National Cemetary was created on land seized from Robert E. Lee.  

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:02:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yankee go home.

- wikipedia

Capitalism FTW.

They are like the blacks on slavery.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:11:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yankee go home.

- wikipedia

Capitalism FTW.

What happened to the South is hard to forget, especially when you can go down the road and see it. Burial mounds with 500 bodies in it will make you think. Especially if one of those is a relative. Vicksburg didn't celebrate the 4th of July for 100 years.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:12:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I used to call Hillary Clinton one after she moved to New York and ran for senate.

I know it's the opposite of what one is....
View Quote

she's just a unindicted common criminal.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:12:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
We still have them.

http://theblacksphere.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/TerryMcCauliffe.jpg

View Quote

Yep.

FBO
FTM
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:18:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Saw an old movie, The Carpet Baggers on the TV guide. Didn't watch it. I always thought this was some racist or slang expression (Thought the same about "call a spade a spade" comment) so I never used the terms.

So, describe a carpet bagger. Just from right after the CW? Only a Yank who went south to take advantage or gain? Bad people? Notable carpet baggers?
View Quote

You don't know what a carpetbagger is? What about a damned yankee? They were usually charlatans as well.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:20:51 AM EDT
[#25]
I'll wager many of them carpet baggers were common Pettifoggers too.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:28:44 AM EDT
[#26]
In the words of that famous carpet bagger Rahm Emanuel "Never fail to exploit a good crisis"
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:17:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
bunch of scalawags in here..  
View Quote

Southerners who collaborate with the northerners here in Arfcom?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:21:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yankee go home.

- wikipedia
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yankee go home.

- wikipedia

So.......a capitalist.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:21:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Capitalism FTW.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yankee go home.

- wikipedia

Capitalism FTW.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:22:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yankee go home.

- wikipedia

Capitalism FTW.

THIS.  Ever watch "Gone With The Wind"? The fancy-dressed guys who came to buy Tara after the war were the epitome of carpetbaggers.  Although as they stuck around and gained social and political power, the pejorative took on a broader meaning.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:24:02 PM EDT
[#31]
They were not profiting from the 'instability and power vacuum', they were buying land for pennies on the dollar at tax auctions. The southern land owners were expected to pay reparations to the Fed. With no US dollars and with farms burned into oblivion by Sherman (may everlasting fuck be upon him), the land owners ended up with their land being confiscated and sold at tax auctions. The carpetbaggers (called that because their bags were made of material that resembled carpets, duh) came down from the north with an eye on buying up all they could for cheap and becoming the new 'landed gentry'. Nasty bloodsucking leeches would be the kindest name for them.
View Quote

They were called carpetbaggers because they literally took a carpet, sewed up three sides of it, attached a handle, and tossed their clothes, etc in it for a suitcase.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:27:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Fuck carpet baggers.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:30:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Notable carpet baggers?
View Quote

Hillary Clinton was a carpetbagger when she moved to New York to run for Senate.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:31:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yankee go home.

- wikipedia

Capitalism FTW.

Don't you think you would feel the same if great granpa nearly starved to death, lost everything that had been in the family for generations?
 I know I would. The north screwed up by punishing the south AFTER the war was over. If Abe wasn't killed I think it would have been different, and there wouldn't be as much hatred still.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:39:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Call a spade...is a term from the card game bridge. With spades being the highest suit. When bidding a person starts low and bids their hand. If you have a strong spade hand but you bid low in another suit, your partner might just say to call your hand the way it is, it's a winning hand. It refers to "beating around the bush" not telling something right out.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:45:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Hillary Clinton was a carpetbagger when she moved to New York to run for Senate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Notable carpet baggers?

Yup, the direction doesn't matter anymore... it's the act of being a unscrupulous opportunist.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:58:48 PM EDT
[#37]
So. Life was supposed to be all warm, fuzzy, and "fair" after the massive and horrible War Between the States?

Bad things happened before the struggle. Bad things happened after the struggle. On both sides.

That was then, this is now. Nobody who took a side and went to battle is alive today. Not one. Get over it, no matter what your heritage. Which is the same thing I tell folk who want reparations for long dead practices like slavery.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top