Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2015 12:43:57 AM EDT
400 to 500  yards seems to be relatively easy.

After that, skill and experience comes into play.

Some wind and "equipment capability"......................all bets are off.

Poll to follow.

I realize that the bullet weight that you are using will make a difference. If you want to comment on that weight, feel free to do that on the caliber that you are using.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:44:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Do what?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:23:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I voted 6-900 yards, but not with a 308..but with my 300RUM...I have gotten solid(dead)hits on 1 brown bear and 2 wolves at that distance in the past............
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:28:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Depending on the temp you can read the heat waves in the scope out to target.

Kinda hard to do at first then you get the hang of it.

Can also see how trees are moving as well.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:40:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I voted 6-900 yards, but not with a 308..but with my 300RUM...I have gotten solid(dead)hits on 1 brown bear and 2 wolves at that distance in the past............
View Quote

More bullet weight is better for heavier "target weight" on the other end of the muzzle.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:41:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Depending on the temp you can read the heat waves in the scope out to target.

Kinda hard to do at first then you get the hang of it.

Can also see how trees are moving as well.

View Quote

You are talking about heat mirage aren`t you?

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:42:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Reading the wind has nothing to do with cartridge selection and everything to do with your optics and experience.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:45:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

More bullet weight is better for heavier "target weight" on the other end of the muzzle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL..the bear was 200 gr. barnes X bullets..the wolves, one was a 180 swift scirocco, the other a 165 barnes solid....
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:55:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Reading the wind has nothing to do with cartridge selection and everything to do with your optics and experience.
View Quote

Hmmm.............

I think it is a dual faceted formula. Farther out, better accuracy would be obtained in windier conditions, using a heavier projectile that could buck the wind. The heavier projectile also, would deliver more energy to the target.

What do you think?

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:59:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Hmmm.............

I think it is a dual faceted formula. Farther out, better accuracy would be obtained in windier conditions, using a heavier projectile that could buck the wind. The heavier projectile also, would deliver more energy to the target.

What do you think?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm.............

What do you think?

Replace heavier with higher BC.

It's still a weird way to look at it. Wind is the most subjective piece of long-range shooting.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:06:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Set up a target at 100 yards with a 15 MPH cross wind. Shoot a .22lr then a .243 and tell me cartridge selection has nothing to do with it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:14:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's still a weird way to look at it. Wind is the most subjective piece of long-range shooting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm.............

What do you think?

Doesn`t a heavier bullet weight yield a higher BC?

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:17:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Set up a target at 100 yards with a 15 MPH cross wind. Shoot a .22lr then a .243 and tell me cartridge selection has nothing to do with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Caliber has nothing to do with reading wind. Caliber selection has considerably more to do with mitigating the effect of an error in reading the wind.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:18:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I can agree with you are saying.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm.............

What do you think?

Not always. Compare the 6.5mm 142gr Sierra MatchKing to the .30 cal 175 MatchKing.

Or getting even further up there, the .224" 80gr SMK to a 300 gr round nose.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:19:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Caliber has nothing to do with reading wind. Caliber selection has considerably more to do with mitigating the effect of an error in reading the wind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a good way to put it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:23:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair enough.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:32:23 AM EDT
[#16]
The premise of the OP is flawed. If you have a good idea of what the wind is doing along the flight path, it really doesn't matter what the velocity/direction is, or the round used. It is then just a matter of applying the appropriate correction to the optic, if you have good data for your chosen rifle.

A better question would be " How accurate can you make the call before sending a round downrange?" Or "What is the max range you can make an accurate call?"

I usually have to correct after the first round personally, so I may be full of shit.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:53:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Not always. Compare the 6.5mm 142gr Sierra MatchKing to the .30 cal 175 MatchKing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm.............

What do you think?

So you are saying a lighter bullet is going to buck the wind better than a heavier bullet will?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 3:02:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

So you are saying a lighter bullet is going to buck the wind better than a heavier bullet will?
View Quote

Depending on the shape, yes.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 3:07:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Technically, wouldn't it be a bit of everything? bullet weight, velocity, BC, ability to judge conditions, knowledge of firearm/cartridge, condition/quality of firearm and shooters abilities?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 3:08:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Technically, wouldn't it be a bit of everything? bullet weight, velocity, BC, ability to judge conditions, knowledge of firearm/cartridge, condition/quality of firearm and shooters abilities?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top