Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/2/2015 12:42:33 AM EDT
Its a good read....And a good read to give to people who think minimum wage hikes are a good idea.

Article
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:49:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Progressive got what he wished for, no pity from me.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:02:36 AM EDT
[#2]

The Owner said:   “I was appalled!” he says. “My jaw dropped. Eighty-thousand a year! I didn’t know that. I thought we were talking a small amount of money, something I could absorb.”

How and the fuck are these liberal dumb asses even in business???  The first time I even heard breath of this suggestion, I had my accountant check to see  what the impact would be to my business.  This guy votes for the people who implemented the policy that will likely kill his business!!  And did so without even checking it first.

I stand by my mantra...  liberals are emotion feeling dumb-asses who never let the facts get in their way.    

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:06:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Elections have consequences asshole.  He'll still vote the same way too.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:07:01 AM EDT
[#4]
It'll never end. Never has, in thousands of years.

All you can do is wait for the pendulum to swing the other way.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:07:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Just fire your employees.  How hard is that?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:15:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Gee I wonder who he voted for?  LOL
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:28:02 AM EDT
[#7]
“Despite being a progressive living in San Francisco, I do believe in capitalism. I’d like to have the market solve this problem.” That applies not just to his plight, but to the question of the minimum wage: “We’re for a living wage, for a minimum wage, in principle. . . . But I think any law that doesn’t look at whether people can pay may not be the best way to go.”
View Quote

In other words,  "Rules for thee but not for me!!"  Yup.  Passes the libtard snifftest.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:30:38 AM EDT
[#8]
comments at the end of the article  are great
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:32:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

The article says he has one person at each location all day, so firing employees means going out of business.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:36:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View Quote

Eventualy, .gov will eliminate the option of terminating employees.  Who will pay for FSA if there are no employees?  We must have employees.......

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:38:18 AM EDT
[#11]

lol
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:47:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The article says he has one person at each location all day, so firing employees means going out of business.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Asian business model means the wife and kids work.  I guess he can't apply that model.  

It's tough to make it as a small business in liberal cities.  Regulations strangle them and make them uncompetitive with the bigger box stores.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:48:50 AM EDT
[#13]
There's a lot of misinformation in that article. Minimum wage in SF is already like 11.50. In addition, the $15.00 minimum wage doesn't go into effect for four years from the date that the law was enacted.
If you can afford to give your employee a .75 raise, your business probably wasn't economically viable to begin with.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:57:29 AM EDT
[#14]
“Why,” he asks, “can’t two consenting people make arrangements for less than x dollars per hour?”
View Quote

Because you and your fellow travelers voted in a law that says you can't, ya fuckin' moron.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:07:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

His math doesnt work. Not even close to 80K increase. unless they are raising the minimum wage by at least $21 a hour more than the current pay.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:08:37 AM EDT
[#16]
"I'd like to have the market to solve this problem"

Tough shit, dumbass, you voted for the governement to do it, now you get to live with the consequences.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:09:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Let's just make it $100 an hour.  Then those poor folks won't have to be on welfare or any other kind of Govt support.  Not to mention, that even if prices were to go up, say $50 for a Big Mac....who cares when you're getting $100 an hour, right?

BTW.....seniors on SS or on fixed retirement funds will not get a pay raise.  Call it......it's so that the Dems win the next election.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:38:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Dumb asses will continue to vote libtard.

the comments are pretty good
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:50:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

His math doesnt work. Not even close to 80K increase. unless they are raising the minimum wage by at least $21 a hour more than the current pay.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

80k total for everyone. Although he will actually need to sell a lot more because he has to pay for the inventory to sell that.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 3:03:32 AM EDT
[#20]
I wonder if he figured in the increased SSI taxes those higher wages will cost him too?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 3:07:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Hibbs is not inclined to circumvent the market: “Despite being a progressive living in San Francisco, I do believe in capitalism. I’d like to have the market solve this problem.” That applies not just to his plight, but to the question of the minimum wage: “We’re for a living wage, for a minimum wage, in principle. . . . But I think any law that doesn’t look at whether people can pay may not be the best way to go.”

View Quote

Ha.

Ha.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 3:17:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Meh. It can't be that hard to devise a comic book vending machine.

Fire everybody, close all the stores. Minimum wage hike wins again.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 3:29:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
There's a lot of misinformation in that article. Minimum wage in SF is already like 11.50. In addition, the $15.00 minimum wage doesn't go into effect for four years from the date that the law was enacted.
If you can afford to give your employee a .75 raise, your business probably wasn't economically viable to begin with.
View Quote

Hey look Obama is posting in this thread!
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 3:32:15 AM EDT
[#24]
This story actually warmed my heart, reap what you sow, asshole. I can't wait until I have kids to help me run my business. Slave volunteer labor FTW.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 3:36:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So he is working them 70 hours a week? He said they are open 10 hours a day 7 days a week. Even hippies wont work that much in a comic book store with out revolting.

He likely has 3-5 employees per store.

J-
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 4:53:26 AM EDT
[#26]

First they came for the comic book stores....

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 5:51:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

$11.25 to $15 is a raise of $3.95

Each store is open 7x10 so 3650 hours per year. That's $14,417.50 increased cost per store. He has two stores.

It's not $80K. But it's not chump change either.

Some good derp in his comments:

“We’re for a living wage, for a minimum wage, in principle. . . ."
Ok.
“Why,” he asks, “can’t two consenting people make arrangements for less than x dollars per hour?”
So you're not for minimum wage?
“There’s lots of room for the rich and the powerful,” Hibbs observes, “but, really, they’re not doing anything to help small business.”
Ah, so the evil rich corps can pay it but you shouldn't?

Classic liberal brain melt. "Lets give everyone more money. But not mine. Other people's. They have lots."
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 5:54:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

$11.25 to $15 is a raise of $3.75

Each store is open 7x10 so 3650 hours per year. That's $13,687.50 increased cost per store. He has two stores.

Ok.
“There’s lots of room for the rich and the powerful,” Hibbs observes, “but, really, they’re not doing anything to help small business.”

Classic liberal brain melt. "Lets give everyone more money. But not mine."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$11.25 to $15 is a raise of $3.75

Each store is open 7x10 so 3650 hours per year. That's $13,687.50 increased cost per store. He has two stores.

Ok.

Classic liberal brain melt. "Lets give everyone more money. But not mine."

Which means he likely has several employees at each store.

J-
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 5:56:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Which means he likely has several employees at each store.
View Quote

So he can drop two of them and problem solved. (unless you're the guy getting dropped)

But he says "usually just one employee at each store at a time"

Unless there are five people in each store at the weekends then either the figure or the single-employee statement is erroneous and being used to exaggerate the impact.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:22:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

There's that FPNI thing again.

It's called "Abolish the minimum wage", dumbass.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:32:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It'll never end. Never has, in thousands of years.

All you can do is wait for the pendulum to swing the other way.
View Quote

honestly at this point my thoughts are something along the lines of let it all burn and let the strong willed survivors rebuild from the ashes..

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:48:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Boo hoo hoo.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:51:49 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

The Owner said:   "I was appalled!” he says. "My jaw dropped. Eighty-thousand a year! I didn’t know that. I thought we were talking a small amount of money, something I could absorb.”

How and the fuck are these liberal dumb asses even in business???  The first time I even heard breath of this suggestion, I had my accountant check to see  what the impact would be to my business.  This guy votes for the people who implemented the policy that will likely kill his business!!  And did so without even checking it first.

I stand by my mantra...  liberals are emotion feeling dumb-asses who never let the facts get in their way.    

View Quote

It's baffling to me that a man who started and ran a successful business for a quarter of a century didn't understand how such a big jump in the minimum wage would affect his bottom line.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:54:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It's baffling to me that a man who started and ran a successful business for a quarter of a century didn't understand how such a big jump in the minimum wage would affect his bottom line.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Owner said:   "I was appalled!” he says. "My jaw dropped. Eighty-thousand a year! I didn’t know that. I thought we were talking a small amount of money, something I could absorb.”

Some say that liberalism is a mental illness.  I am starting to thin there is some validity to that argument
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:55:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"But... The Government is here to help us! They would never do anything bad!!!"

You just don't have the right mindset.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:01:23 AM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

I swear I read this in Milton Friedman's voice.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:04:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I swear I read this in Milton Friedman's voice.
View Quote

Homer Simpson is what sprang to my mind.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:04:35 AM EDT
[#38]
I have a sudden urge to watch a Sonny Chiba marathon.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:11:12 AM EDT
[#39]
He should just bring over family members from another country and make them work for next to nothing.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:16:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Whaddayawannabet he moves the store out of SF?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:18:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Liberals Feel Things

Conservatives Know Things.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:56:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:56:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

5 x 7.50 * 40 * 52 = 78000

He has 5 employees.
He's currently paying them 7.50, and the increase will be another $7.50 per hour.
He pays for 40 hours per week.
There are 52 hours in a year.
This example means he'll pay an additional $78,000 per year under his current model, when the new wage rate is enacted.
I may have dropped a few pennies here and there.

Although all of us at Borderlands support the concept of a living wage in princip[le] and we believe that it’s possible that the new law will be good for San Francisco — Borderlands Books as it exists is not a financially viable business if subject to that minimum wage.  Consequently we will be closing our doors no later than March 31st.

San Francisco will become a ghost town. There will be a very few bistros open that are insanely expensive.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:57:49 AM EDT
[#44]

We really want this, but we don't want to pay for it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:05:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

We really want this, but we don't want to pay for it.
View Quote

Gosh, we'll just tax the fuck out of those eeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil rich bastards!  We all know they have rooms full of $100 bills stacked up to the ceiling!

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:06:29 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Its a good read....And a good read to give to people who think minimum wage hikes are a good idea.
Article
View Quote
Progressives don't care.  Many times I've seen them presented with this kind of evidence, and their response is always, "if he can't afford to pay a living wage, then he doesn't deserve to be in business and it's only fair that he go broke."

They can't mentally reconcile the fact that his employees are then unemployed, but progressives don't care about that either.

It looks a lot like this...................

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:09:21 AM EDT
[#47]
All the store owners need to do is hire illegals.  They'll work for much less!
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:11:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Absolutely, Zero fucks given!

"77 percent of voters approved in November"

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:11:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
All the store owners need to do is hire illegals.  They'll work for much less!
View Quote

AND vote stupidcrat!  Win-win!
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:13:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top