Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2015 1:20:31 PM EDT
Fighting some sort of allergy or cold and I have been in a snotty-haze all day.

I had a call with an hr rep about a Web Designer / Developer job in a different company.

Call went pretty well, she asked the typical "what are your strengths", "what are your weaknesses", yadda yadda yadda..

Then she asked me how much I wanted to make...

I think I low-balled myself.

I really am ready to jump ship from my present employer so I think my eagerness to get the hell out of dodge may have trimmed too much from the number I gave her.

So my question to all of the working 90 hour per week, mutli-millionaire, super model banging, space shuttle door gunners on GD is this:

IF they offer me the job at the number i gave them should I FO or should I try to get more out of them?

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:21:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Find another employer that will give you something closer to your desired salary.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:23:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Find another employer that will give you something closer to your desired salary.

View Quote
Yeah the job market here is a bit shit but i have been actively looking.

It's funny, when I wasn't looking i had recruiters calling me several timers per week but now that I am actively looking leads have dried up

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:23:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Is it less or more than you're currently making?

Opportunities for advancement?

You're wanting out really bad- here's your chance....
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:25:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Balance the pay quote against your desire to jump ship.  Go with the answer.  Remember that job hopping for money is never a good thing if it means that you have too many jobs within a certain period of time, longevity is important to an employer.

If you need to jump, do it.  try everything you can to sell yourself to the new boss and raise your stock.  Keep looking.  Consider moving to a new AO for a better market.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:26:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Negotiation doesn't begin until the word "no" is spoken.

That's a bit of advice I give everyone on my team, because it's important.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:27:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is it less or more than you're currently making?

Opportunities for advancement?

You're wanting out really bad- here's your chance....
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:31:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I hope you at least gave them a range and not a singular number to reach....

You: "I need $X amount"

Them: "OK, we'd like to offer you the job at $X"

You: "No, no, I meant I need $Y"

Them: "" (where is that other guy's resume again...)
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:31:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Tell them. "I meant $85,000 a year  Take Home Pay, so I would require a salary of at least $110,000. Sorry for any misunderstanding".  
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:40:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I always avoid that topic by explaining there is a lot more to a salary than the yearly income. I always push it off on saying I need to look a the entire package of benefits, vacation, holidays, bonuses, overtime, and any other perks that might be available.  

Too many people focus on that one number and overlook everything else, which can be more important.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:48:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the advice guys. GD Delivers.

Basically they are matching all of the perks from my present employer ( Free medical, equal amount of vacation, personal and sick days, 401k contribution)

Only negative is it will add an hour total to my daily commute.

One real benefit is there is an opportunity to advance. MY present job, nope not happening we only have 11 employees.

The number i gave is a good bit higher than what i am making now, I was basically worried that I left a ton of money on the table.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:54:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Basically they are matching all of the perks from my present employer ( Free medical, equal amount of vacation, personal and sick days, 401k contribution)

One real benefit is there is an opportunity to advance. MY present job, nope not happening we only have 11 employees.

The number i gave is a good bit higher than what i am making now, I was basically worried that I left a ton of money on the table.

View Quote

Sounds like you did pretty well and are making a good move.  You're not really in a situation to bargain too hard on them anyhow.  Don't beat yourself up over it.  Better to have this job and more pay than to stay in the dead end job where you're at.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

In that case I would go for the new gig. Mention you want more based on performance and try to settle a time-frame. Setting this expectation early is important if you want it to happen.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:27:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I hate that shit, they want as much info from you as possible so they can figure out exactly the lowest number they can get away with paying you. Meanwhile, these days you can't get any info regarding salary ranges or anything from them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:30:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I always avoid that topic by explaining there is a lot more to a salary than the yearly income. I always push it off on saying I need to look a the entire package of benefits, vacation, holidays, bonuses, overtime, and any other perks that might be available.  

Too many people focus on that one number and overlook everything else, which can be more important.

View Quote
This is the correct answer. A lot of companies are looking for this reply too. Asking about money very early in the process is sometimes a trick

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:02:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Tell her you were high at the time.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:49:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Lie like "I'm looking at a higher offer, but rather work for you if you could match it or close"
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:56:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Tell her you were high at the time.

View Quote

*snort*

Sounds like you're fine, OP.  I'd call it jitters.  Sure, you may have been able to get a few extra dollars - maybe - but it sounds like you're making a good decision from what you've described.

I say FO.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 4:00:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Get on the payroll, wait 90 days, and then say, "Now that you're satisfied with my performance, we should talk about increasing my salary from the "starting wage" I'm at...
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 5:25:44 PM EDT
[#19]
well this could not have happened at a better time... I got layed off today LOL

things have been sketchy the last 6 months or so. New jobs were not getting in the pipeline...kept hearing we have all these new websites to produce but wasnt getting the go ahead on anything.

to top it off one of the guys today said his last paycheck bounced. after I heard that I was really relived I decided it was time to eject. I have been seeing the signs...

owner was upset about laying me off but meh, I was ready to move on so zero fucks given.

they gave me 3 months severance pay but lump sum taxes blow

so wish me luck with the new job
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 5:54:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Push them for a nice sign on bonus.  If they refuse, bump up the salary figure you gave them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:01:33 PM EDT
[#21]
See if telecommuting is an option.  Instant money saved.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:03:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

things have been sketchy the last 6 months or so. New jobs were not getting in the pipeline...kept hearing we have all these new websites to produce but wasnt getting the go ahead on anything.

to top it off one of the guys today said his last paycheck bounced. after I heard that I was really relived I decided it was time to eject. I have been seeing the signs...

owner was upset about laying me off but meh, I was ready to move on so zero fucks given.

View Quote

I wish you luck cashing the severance check.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:10:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Good timing.  Unless you really screwed yourself below market value for your skills, I'd say take the work if they offer it at the salary you asked for.  Changing your mind or pulling some kind of "uh excuse me, but I gave you the wrong salary figure because I was fighting a dragon and saving the world when we talked" back pedal could backfire.  Maybe not, but it isn't worth the chance IMO.  Once you knock a few projects out and distinguish  yourself you can start the vertical pay climb.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:12:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

i know lol i will be surprised if it doesnt bounce

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:16:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Good timing.  Unless you really screwed yourself below market value for your skills, I'd say take the work if they offer it at the salary you asked for.  Changing your mind or pulling some kind of "uh excuse me, but I gave you the wrong salary figure because I was fighting a dragon and saving the world when we talked" back pedal could backfire.  Maybe not, but it isn't worth the chance IMO.  Once you knock a few projects out and distinguish  yourself you can start the vertical pay climb.
View Quote

Yep at the year mark is usually a good time to bring it up, especially if you're already getting a raise taking the job.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:17:54 PM EDT
[#26]
You learned a valuable lesson.

Never, EVER, lowball yourself on salary.  

It's the only time in the job process (once you are hired) you are guaranteed to get the money you want.  

You can't take unkown future raises and promotions to the bank.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:19:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Negotiation doesn't begin until the word "no" is spoken.

That's a bit of advice I give everyone on my team, because it's important.
View Quote

That's a good one. The one I like to use is that the party in negotiations who cares the least is in the more powerful position.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:24:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd take it if it's what you want. Do a good job, and show them that you're worth a raise in a year or so. If it's still good after that, move. An hour commute? Ain't nobody got time for dat...

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:46:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Get on the payroll, wait 90 days, and then say, "Now that you're satisfied with my performance, we should talk about increasing my salary from the "starting wage" I'm at...
View Quote

I'd wait a little longer than 3 months before asking for a raise
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:51:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Good luck with the new job, OP.

I have found in my past experience that recruiters typically don't bring up salary on the initial phone interview. That is held for the in-person interview or whenever they give you the job offer.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:55:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wouldn't recommend that
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top