Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2015 12:48:31 PM EDT
Well, I always make fun of those who solicit GD for medical advice, but all other avenues have been pursued. Let's see what the hivemind can come up with:

I've seen three different doctors. My current ENT/Voice Doc is also Beyonce's and Pavarotti's. I figure the guy should know what he's doing.The diagnosis has consistently been LRPD, or Laryngopharayngeal reflux disease. I'm a 46 year old guy. I'm a runner/weightlifter with low body fat.

Since Thanksgiving, my voice has varied between inaudible to extremely hoarse. It varies through the course of the day. Photographs of my larynx resemble a very angry vag.

I've was prescribed 40MG of Pantoprazole, taken twice daily. I also take an OTC H2 blocker and an OTC proton pump inhibitor before meals. None of this has been of any help whatsoever.

This shit is driving me nuts. Anyone have any ideas?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Spastic Dysphonia?

That can cause variation in speaking voice, and aggravation could cause the laryngitis.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:05:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Have they done an esophageal ph study?  If the PPI's aren't doing it may need fundoplication......not a Doctor just a dude who is dealing with reflux issues and PPI's are not cutting it for me.   You are on a LOT of acid meds.

Edited to add: weight lifting greatly aggravates gerd issues especially if you have a hiatal hernia. (I weight lift quite a bit)
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:08:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Well, I always make fun of those who solicit GD for medical advice, but all other avenues have been pursued. Let's see what the hivemind can come up with:

I've seen three different doctors. My current ENT/Voice Doc is also Beyonce's and Pavarotti's. I figure the guy should know what he's doing.The diagnosis has consistently been LRPD, or Laryngopharayngeal reflux disease. I'm a 46 year old guy. I'm a runner/weightlifter with low body fat.

Since Thanksgiving, my voice has varied between inaudible to extremely hoarse. It varies through the course of the day. Photographs of my larynx resemble a very angry vag.

I've was prescribed 40MG of Pantoprazole, taken twice daily. I also take an OTC H2 blocker and an OTC proton pump inhibitor before meals. None of this has been of any help whatsoever.

This shit is driving me nuts. Anyone have any ideas?
View Quote

they ever done an EGD? may be worth it to see a GI doc as well.
not a doc btw
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:08:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Will you kiss my wife?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:13:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Stop with the ATM already.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:14:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you been tested for vocal cord paresis?  

Husband is going through something similar.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 5:59:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have they done an esophageal ph study?  If the PPI's aren't doing it may need fundoplication......not a Doctor just a dude who is dealing with reflux issues and PPI's are not cutting it for me.   You are on a LOT of acid meds.

Edited to add: weight lifting greatly aggravates gerd issues especially if you have a hiatal hernia. (I weight lift quite a bit)
View Quote

I get the PH probe on Monday.

He also wants to do a biopsy. He assured me that it's not a C word type deal.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:00:43 PM EDT
[#8]
cut back on the stogies
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:02:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Not a doc, but I've had issues with reflux/GERD before and I have a 20-year history of laryngospasm (about once a year -- I stopped my flying hobby because of them) and a very sensitive larnyx. So any knowledge disseminated in this thread is relevant to my interests.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:18:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
cut back on the stogies
View Quote

Don't smoke.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:39:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am guessing the biopsy is to see if you have Barrett's esophagus.  Have they had you off all ppi's for 2 weeks?  That is the way they did my PH test.  It sucked.....big time (the lack of ppi's not the test)
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:11:53 AM EDT
[#12]
They haven't told me to lay off the PPIs.

I don't have any symptoms of reflux except the sore larynx.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:18:11 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Will you kiss my wife?
View Quote

Zing!

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:22:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They haven't told me to lay off the PPIs.

I don't have any symptoms of reflux except the sore larynx.
View Quote

Maybe they can eliminate reflux.  They have you on one heck of a dose of PPI's and other reflux meds.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:24:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Cash in and start singing in a death metal band?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:25:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Dibs on guns

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:44:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Switch to a bland diet, maybe?  

Reflux, as far as I know, is the result of either foods that irritate the stomach, et al., or a weakened esophageal sphincter.    Just spit balling here, I'm a lawyer by trade.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top