Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2015 11:30:54 AM EDT
So, I do search and rescue and now that I've finished college, I'm looking to get more medical training than the minimum first aid + CPR. However, I have a few paths ahead of me. I could take Wilderness First Aid or First Responder course. This would be the most relevant to what I would use in the field, but that doesn't get me anywhere when it comes to actual medical certifications. I could take EMT-B, which is mostly irrelevant to what I would be doing, but I could then take a Wilderness EMT course, even though Virginia doesn't recognize Wilderness EMTs.

So, what medical training should I take?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:34:55 AM EDT
[#1]
If you're looking to make a career out of it and want to get paid. Nursing. EMT's get paid less than shit.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#2]

Take the course that's gonna get you a job.

Get your EMT then worry about a Wilderness First Aid upgrade later.  Most of that component is common sense and improvisation.  If you're working city or county SAR you should be getting most of that course material at inservice trainings anyways.  

This is the advice I give to new hires in the Park Service trying to move into full time work.  We don't recognize Wilderness EMT either.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:03:13 PM EDT
[#3]
While we in Virginia's SAR community are considered trained professionals in Search and Rescue, we are almost all unpaid volunteers. So, I'm not doing this for a job, although if I need to run with a squad in order keep up my EMT cert, I'd rather get paid doing that! All the local squads are volunteer, though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top