Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2015 8:29:44 AM EDT
Ok, so I have a ASUS gaming laptop, ( I will have to add my model number when I get home). 

I have an issue logging in. So this is what it does.. 

When I turn it on, It goes straight to the black and gray lettered screen to start windows in safe mode etc. 

Regardless of what I click, It freezes on the blue screen right before I can log in under my username. 

While on that blue screen, The image of the blue background ( I guess you would consider it the windows blue background) is enlarged including the mouse cursor. 

What the hell do I do? I've tried to search up stuff, but It's all in a different language. My computer didn't come with a recovery disc, so can I just buy a Windows 7 disc online and just pop it in and let the computer do the work? I paid an ass load for this computer, and as it sits, its a gigantic paper weight. I don't know shit about computers, so please speak in a special needs sort of way. 

I have windows 7 64 bit if it helps
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:32:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like your video driver is borked, at the very least. Try installing an Operating System that was written in the last decade and put Windows 8.1 on it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:38:50 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sounds like your video driver is borked, at the very least. Try installing an Operating System that was written in the last decade and put Windows 8.1 on it.
View Quote
This might be where it goes, but this shouldn't be the first trouble shooting step. There is nothing wrong with Win 7-64.

OP. Get a "live CD" with some kind of Linux on it (doesn't matter which) to see if the computer boots.  That will help you rule in or out a video driver problem.

The bad news is, your computer is crashing when and behaving as if there is a hardware problem.  Try booting it while the battery is out.  Make sure it's not getting hot (feel the surfaces).
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:53:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Computers will go flakey when the CMOS battery goes dead.  A cheap fix might be clearing the CMOS and replacing the battery.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:56:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This might be where it goes, but this shouldn't be the first trouble shooting step. There is nothing wrong with Win 7-64.  

OP. Get a "live CD" with some kind of Linux on it (doesn't matter which) to see if the computer boots.  That will help you rule in or out a video driver problem.

The bad news is, your computer is crashing when and behaving as if there is a hardware problem.  Try booting it while the battery is out.  Make sure it's not getting hot (feel the surfaces).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't offer it as a troubleshooting step. I offered it as a "best practices" reminder.

If it won't boot to Safe Mode then a core OS corruption (likely due to a failed update) is the most common culprit, if it will boot to safe mode then we know it's a (probable) driver issue.

Electrical hardware failures are actually pretty fucking rare. They happen but, not nearly as frequently as most people would have you believe.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:57:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Computers will go flakey when the CMOS battery goes dead.  A cheap fix might be clearing the CMOS and replacing the battery.
View Quote

If that's the issue, I'll kiss your ass in Macy's window and give a half hour to draw a crowd.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:02:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote

I think your calendar is broken.  Windows 7 was released less than five six years ago.  And it's an awesome OS.

Edit fixed.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:03:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If that's the issue, I'll kiss your ass in Macy's window and give a half hour to draw a crowd.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please don't since I am NOT Gay. Personally, I am betting on a bad update.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:04:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I think your calendar is broken.  Windows 7 was released less than five years ago.  And it's an awesome OS.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think your calendar is broken.  Windows 7 was released less than five years ago.  And it's an awesome OS.

Um, Windows 7 was released in 2009 so, in a sense, he's right.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:10:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm guessing onboard VGA.

OP, hold down F8 when you turn the computer on and see what happens.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:03:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Ok so I need to make a correction on what it says at start up.

It says, launch windows repair (recommended)

Or start windows normally. (If I do this, it just loops back over and over to the two choices)

The f8 doesn't do anything

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:05:59 AM EDT
[#11]
The battery being removed doesn't make any differences
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:08:29 AM EDT
[#12]
If you will change your title to "Windows will not boot to safe mode - help?"  You may get more focused help.  

As it is, your title makes it appear you have a password or username issue, as "logging in" generally means you can at least get to the username selection screen.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:08:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Do you have a windows authentication key on the bottom?

If so you can just download an .ISO of the (correct) OS from microsoft and burn it to a DVD to reinstall windows, if you decide that is what you need to do...

If you tap F8 continuously after initially powering the computer on, it doesn't bring you to the option to load safe mode?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:11:12 AM EDT
[#14]
So whats it do when you launch windows repair?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:14:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So whats it do when you launch windows repair?
View Quote

That's when it takes me to the blue screen that's enlarged ie. The cursor is big and blurry
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:16:29 AM EDT
[#16]

Clicking on SAFE MODE bring me back to the first issue. Launch repair or start normally...

What do I do next?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:18:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Windows 8.1 is awesome once you get used to the new interface. It boots so quickly I don't mind turning my computer off. My phone takes longer to boot up.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:50:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry, meant to say six years ago, not five.  in what sense is he right?  If anything, Windows 7 was written in the last decade, and Windows 8.1 was not, so he's contradicting himself.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:00:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Windows repair can take a long time.  Was the hard drive being accessed when the blue screen was up?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:15:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Windows repair can take a long time.  Was the hard drive being accessed when the blue screen was up?
View Quote
It's worth trying to push through Windows Repair.

I was a skeptic, but of the 10 or so times I have had to use it, I got a viable OS in the end on 9 of them.  The one left over was a hard drive going bad, not a whole lot the OS can do about that.

This guy is right OP, wait a while and let it do it's thing.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:19:17 PM EDT
[#21]
http://support.asus.com/download/Options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=8

Nuclear Optiion:

Well, if there is nothing you absolutely need to recover.  Start the computer, hit F9 when you see ASUS on the black screen, and recover from the HD partition.  You will lose all files/pics/etc...and have to re-download all updates.  It resets it to factory out of the box...which takes around 45 mins, or so.

And, after you do all of that, make a backup disc.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:38:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Sounds like you are stuck with an Infinite Loop at the repair option. I've seen this happen before and its usually due one of the following,
1). Boot Loader corruption
2). Virus

Couple things you can do if you have a live copy of Windows
1.Insert your Windows installation DVD into your PC’s CD-ROM drive,
2.Fully power down your PC, and make sure it has fully shut off,
3.Power up your PC,
4.Press any key when you see “Press any key to boot from CD or DVD..”
5.Click the link titled “Repair your computer” in the bottom-left hand corner, after first selecting your language and keyboard options.
6.Wait for Startup Repair to scan your PC for Windows installations, then select your install from the list it shows
7.Choose “Command Prompt” from the list of available recovery options to begin
Once the command prompt is launched, enter the following to use the System File Checker to check your installation for corrupted, invalid, or deleted system files. If the previous page showed that your Windows installation has a drive letter other than C:\, make sure to use that.
Run the following command at the dos prompt
chkdsk C: /f
chkdsk will begin scanning your drive for problems, fixing them if it is able to, and reporting its progress when done.

You can attempt to fix the BCD
Follow the steps posted above till you hit step 7
Once you are at the command prompt you can try these commands
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd

If you need a Win7 disk to boot you can burn a System Repair Disk on another Win7 PC as long as it has the same 32- or 64-bit version.

Hopefully you have backed up all important data. Good Luck and let us know how it goes
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:41:16 PM EDT
[#23]
OS corruption is my guess too. Start a "repair"

Got your CD?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:51:36 PM EDT
[#24]
I'd at least test HDD and memory to make sure you're not goanna be chasing your tail..
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 7:44:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
OS corruption is my guess too. Start a "repair"

Got your CD?
View Quote

Start repair won't work. It just takes me to the blue screen and stays.

Discs were never sent with these computers
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 7:56:47 PM EDT
[#26]
When you click boot in safe mode, you should get an option on the bottom of the screen to hit f5 or f8 or somthing for more options
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 7:58:38 PM EDT
[#27]
It's Windows. It's never gonna be in safe mode.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:01:13 PM EDT
[#28]
You can also try hitting f9 during start up to enter the recovery options.   Link

Ugh also you could donwload 7 fresh from microsoft, the key should be on the bottom of your laptop. link
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:03:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You can also try hitting f9 during start up to enter the recovery options.   Link
View Quote

Easy enough.

I'm not worried about losing anything on the pc. I only used it for steam and arfcom. So a factory reset would be nice if it works.

ETA: it worked up until I was supposed to click my language, but it just gave me a black command box...
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:06:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Technically windows 7 was written in the last decade, what he's wanting him to install was something written in this decade, maybe?

ETA: Beat by several hours.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:22:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That shit right there is gold-plated sigline material, especially since that was very similar to my thoughts about CMOS. An old Mac PRAM battery, maybe..
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:24:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That shit right there is gold-plated sigline material, especially since that was very similar to my thoughts about CMOS. An old Mac PRAM battery, maybe..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, a few years ago that was the issue with my acer laptop. Just popped the battery out and bam.

Wish it was that easy in this case
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:51:24 PM EDT
[#33]
A little bit more info about the PC might be helpful.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:57:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

What would you like to know?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:13:28 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Model number.  Age.  Where / how it was used.  

The model number is usually on the keyboard surface, A5n or something like that.

Your post indicating you did the factory recovery and it got stuck at the language choice makes me think we are back to a hardware issue again.

With the model number, we can find a take-down video and give you something to follow for when the next step is "take it apart and re-seat the video card, screen cable, memory and maybe CPU.

It's stopping when it starts to engage the video system, but also right about when it starts to fill memory with OS parts.  Either one could be the issue. It could just be clogged with cat hair or something and over-heating.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:52:20 AM EDT
[#36]
You have been downloading prOn haven't you?

Been there with computer issues. They drive me nuts. I have done the Recovery/Repair
option and it does work but I thought that was in Windows 8 / 8.1?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:38:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The model number is usually on the keyboard surface, A5n or something like that.

Your post indicating you did the factory recovery and it got stuck at the language choice makes me think we are back to a hardware issue again.

With the model number, we can find a take-down video and give you something to follow for when the next step is "take it apart and re-seat the video card, screen cable, memory and maybe CPU.

It's stopping when it starts to engage the video system, but also right about when it starts to fill memory with OS parts.  Either one could be the issue. It could just be clogged with cat hair or something and over-heating.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will for sure get the model number in about an hour and a half. I used the computer for browsing the web, and hours of gaming. If it is found to be a hardware, is that the end of the road? I've had it for about 3-4years. So it's seen some use. All those hours playing Arma
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:00:38 AM EDT
[#38]
The model number is

Asus G74SX
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:47:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Have you tried the low resolution option? (640x480)

you might try a live cd like Rescatux

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/rescatux/

That might let you get the files off of the laptop.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:12:37 PM EDT
[#40]
This is the battery that I was referring to and how to get to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9reQvIxQvGQ
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top