Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:00:28 PM EDT
[#2]
In before Vulcans landing.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:02:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Suggests Does Not mean works.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:04:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Impossible drive? Shouldn't that be Improbability Drive?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:17:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Impossible drive? Shouldn't that be Improbability Drive?
View Quote

oooooh!
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:52:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I may get to be a space pirate before i die YAY!  
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:57:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I wish I wasn't an old fuck...
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:00:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I wish I wasn't an old fuck...
View Quote

... careful what you wish for
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:08:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Won't believe till a test craft travels an astronomical distance. Its energy inefficient, and so far they haven't developed much more delta vee than a gnat fart...if even that much.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:10:21 PM EDT
[#10]
We won't know for sure that it works until they stick one on a microsat at >500 miles altitude and see what happens.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:16:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Won't believe till a test craft travels an astronomical distance. Its energy inefficient, and so far they haven't developed much more delta vee than a gnat fart...if even that much.
View Quote

1: Increased power = increased thrust.
2: Thrust efficiency may be improvable. This is an early design.
3: Being able to generate thrust without expending propellant mass is a REALLY BIG FUCKING DEAL and would be the biggest human discovery since steam power.
4: If these devices do alter space-time as some tests suggest, it will be the biggest discovery in human history.

If you think a small amount of constant thrust doesn't matter, you need to expand your knowledge of astronavigation.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:19:01 PM EDT
[#12]
They're discovering the hell out of it this week.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:19:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

3: Being able to generate thrust without expending propellant mass is a REALLY BIG FUCKING DEAL and would be the biggest human discovery since steam power.

4: If these devices do alter space-time as some tests suggest, it will be the biggest discovery in human history.

If you think a small amount of constant thrust doesn't matter, you need to expand your knowledge of astronavigation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly!

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:21:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:21:55 PM EDT
[#15]
eagleworks must be running low on funding again
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:24:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hyperbole aside, if this pans out. Even with the current efficiency (Which is abyssmal) this discovery would ensure the survival of the human race.

Generating more energy is a trivial concern compared to hauling enough reaction mass to slowboat practical distances around the cosmos.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:31:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I would not start jerking off quite yet.....we have heard this shit before and there are other implications relating to what was thought to be fact that will get kicked to the curb if this pans out. Sounds wonderful. Askes more questions than it answers...
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:33:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm interested enough to start reading the literature. If there is going to be a field of experimental warp field physics, I am going to find a way to be involved.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:34:49 PM EDT
[#19]
That explains why I keep getting "magma displacement" on my seismic system.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:43:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Hyperbole aside, if this pans out. Even with the current efficiency (Which is abyssmal) this discovery would ensure the survival of the human race.

Generating more energy is a trivial concern compared to hauling enough reaction mass to slowboat practical distances around the cosmos.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.

I still think this could be some strange atmospheric or magnetospheric interference generating the thrust... But that looks less likely as the tests progress.

If these things really do work, it is a really, really big deal.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:06:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:09:46 AM EDT
[#23]
I wonder what the military applications could be. Get DARPA on this shit with eagle works. I want a battlestar Galactica ASAP.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:14:37 AM EDT
[#24]
These guys need to hurry, I'd like to take a tour of the solar system before I die.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:33:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I am well aware of the benefit of low gee constant acceleration, complete with mid-journey flipover. I've read Heinlein as a kid, used the math in RPGs as a teen, and fly ion powered probes in KSP now.

I'm more skeptical Tex, because now they are making claims that the fucking thing formed a warp bubble or something. When the Hadron Collider made such a claim, it was later revealed to be sloppy time measurement that caused the erroneous report of FTL sub-atomic particles.  I hate sloppy work in precision measuring, and will await something other than a table-top demonstration to award my admiration to this new idea.

Another factor for deep space, where the benefit of this on long duration flights would be most likely to be used, a huge amount of energy would be needed to push something. Let's be a little aggressive and call one tenth of a gee as a target number. So far they are below this mark by several orders of magnitude, with available power from the wall.  In deep space, solar isn;t going to work, and for a crew, you'd need to have enough shielding in one form or another to protect a crew from a radioactive power source, adding more mass.

If proven out, there may be some niche missions where this could be used, but we are still a very long way from finding the road to the stars.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top