Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2015 9:40:03 PM EDT
Not a dinner pic thread.

What do you put on ribs - sauce or no sauce?
If you use sauce, what's your recipe?
What's your rub recipe?

Over the winter, the family went to a restaurant, and the daughter saw ribs on the menu. She was completely surprised when they brought out something with a gooey sauce on it. We eat'em dry, with just the rub for all the flavor that pork ribs need.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:36:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I love ribs. I don't have a recipe, but I can point to my favorite rub and sauce.

http://www.pigfootbbq.com/index.php
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:43:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Seriously you can use Dillo Dust. Rub it down liberally the night before.

Smoke very slow (225)

Don't get in a hurry, baby backs about 5 hours.

Go slow

Sauce or don't
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:44:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Cook them with dry rub only.  Sauce on the side or very lightly applied and finished on the grill. They don't need much if any sauce
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:46:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Pork ribs, about six hours low and slow on the smoker.
Then I mop the ribs and put them on a 700 degree gas grill for one minute to caramelize the sauce and depending on how thick I mopped the sauce I may or may not repeat the mop/caramelize routine but never more than twice.

I use Memphis Dust from AmazingRibs.com for rub.

And I make my own sauce which is very similar to Sweet Baby Ray's Hickory and Brown Sugar:

Yield: 2 1/2 cups

Homemade Hickory Barbecue Sauce

Ingredients:

Tomato base: 1 ¼ cups (or substitute 1 ¼ cups Heinz Ketchup for the tomato base)

1 6-ounce can tomato paste

½ cup light corn syrup

½ cup white vinegar

¼ cup water

1 tablespoon sugar

1 teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon onion powder

¼ teaspoon garlic powder

BBQ Sauce:

1 cup dark brown sugar

¼ cup molasses

¼ cup pineapple juice

¼ cup water

1 ¼ tablespoon hickory liquid smoke

2 ½ teaspoons ground mustard

2 teaspoons paprika

½ teaspoon garlic powder

¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt

1 teaspoon black pepper

1 tablespoon corn starch dissolved in 1/8 cup cold water (optional)

Instructions:

1. Combine tomato base ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk until

smooth.

2. When mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat and simmer stirring often.

3. Simmer for 30 – 40 minutes or until reduced by ¼ cup to 1 ¼ cups total.

Note: You may substitute 1 ¼ cups of Heinz Ketchup instead of making the tomato base.

4. Add all the rest of the BBQ sauce ingredients and whisk together (except the corn starch in

water).

5. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, until sugar has dissolved. For

a thicker sauce, add the corn starch and water mixture. Then simmer for up to 15 minutes,

until desired thickness is reached. Keep in mind that it may thicken slightly more while

cooling.

6. Serve immediately or cover and store in the refrigerator.

7. Once cooled, you may portion and freeze the sauce. Then thaw in the fridge and use as

needed.

I pretty much follow Amazing Ribs Last Meal Ribs recipe:

Smoke 'em:

Then sauce and caramelize:

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:54:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Mmmmhhhhh. Ribs
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:56:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Grill ribs?? DA-FUQ?

You SMOKE da' Ribs!
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:57:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pork ribs, about six hours low and slow on the smoker.Then I mop the ribs and put them on a 700 degree gas grill for one minute to caramelize the sauce and depending on how thick I mopped the sauce I may or may not repeat the mop/caramelize routine but never more than twice.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/best_BBQ_ribs_ever.html

Smoke 'em:
http://m4.i.pbase.com/g4/72/325172/2/145236874.WAH7pgft.jpg

http://m8.i.pbase.com/g4/72/325172/2/134548968.wfi3Y8aL.jpg

View Quote

Awesome.  Do you cook them to temp?  What temperature.  I have remote temp sensors like that but wondered if they would be accurate in a thin cut of meat like ribs.  I just got a Thermapen that I really love.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:58:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Awesome.  Do you cook them to temp?  What temperature.  I have remote temp sensors like that but wondered if they would be accurate in a thin cut of meat like ribs.  I just got a Thermapen that I really love.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pork ribs, about six hours low and slow on the smoker.Then I mop the ribs and put them on a 700 degree gas grill for one minute to caramelize the sauce and depending on how thick I mopped the sauce I may or may not repeat the mop/caramelize routine but never more than twice.

Smoke 'em:

No thermometer needed. 225 5 to 6 hours..eat.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:02:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I've done 3 racks on my newly finished UDS. For the bbr's i did a 2-1-.5 @250, and the spares 3-2-1 @250. Sofa king good.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:03:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Smoke 'em:

Correct, if you know your smoker - no thermometer is really needed.

I'm not measuring the meat temperature in those pics, I have the probes stuck all the way through the meat so that they are actually measuring the smoker temperature at that level above the grates.

I use a Maverick 733 remote temp probe and I just like to keep tabs on the smoker temp while I'm in the house....
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:04:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Grilling season?

We don't stop.

Ever.

I smoked ribs at 16 below this winter.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:14:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've done 3 racks on my newly finished UDS. For the bbr's i did a 2-1-.5 @250, and the spares 3-2-1 @250. Sofa king good.
View Quote

Just did 4 st. Louis racks on my UDS. Love this thing

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:17:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I shot a Kailua pig in hawaii. A local bradda-cuz cooked it in the ground on lava rocks and covered with babnana leaves.

FUCKING. AWESOME.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:18:21 PM EDT
[#14]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just did 4 st. Louis racks on my UDS. Love this thing

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg92/wdrodgers/Mobile%20Uploads/20150424_145837_zpsaymyiltj.jpg

Did it come with an AK inside?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:23:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I wrap mine (st louis ribs) in foil and throw them on a 300 degree grill for 1-1.5 hours, That'll cook them through, I don't season it just cut them in ~6-8 inch sections before I foil it for easier handling and quicker cooking.  Then after I take them out, I make a cajun/asian BBQ sauce with cajun spices but kinda sweet, and brush it on and grill it at 500+ degrees till charred on the edges.

When I smoke them, I use this rub:
http://www.texasbbqrub.com/
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:27:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I may look into those UDS one of these days.

My current grill/smoker has rusted out the bottom in spots. It's from Walmart, so no surprise, as it's about 8 years old. I was worried it wouldn't work, but it held temp today as well as it ever did, after I patched the hole with a soup can . Got it up to about 225 for 60-90 minutes, then about 180 for the next four hours (for baby backs). Tasty!!! I'm still tweaking my rub recipe, haven't written it down yet. A new grill/smoker is on the list whenever I get a new job, so I'm watching the threads on grills.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:31:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I wrap mine (st louis ribs) in foil and throw them on a 300 degree grill for 1-1.5 hours, That'll cook them through, I don't season it just cut them in ~6-8 inch sections before I foil it for easier handling and quicker cooking.  Then after I take them out, I make a cajun/asian BBQ sauce with cajun spices but kinda sweet, and brush it on and grill it at 500+ degrees till charred on the edges.

View Quote

WRONG!!!
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:34:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I love some smoked ribs!!!!!

Here's my recipe....I start out with a few racks of ribs, trimmed St Louis style. I give them a good rub down using Everglades Seasoning Rib Rub the night before I'm going to cook them. The next day I fire up the smoker to 225°, once the smoker is up to temp I put the ribs in and start smoking with a mixture of hickory and apple wood. Once the ribs are on and the smoke is rolling I mix up a mop sauce using 1 cup of water, 1 cup of white vinegar, 4 tablespoons of the Everglades Rub, and 8 tablespoons of Rendezvous BBQ sauce. Mix in a pot and heat so that ingredients are mixed well. Open smoker and mop the ribs good once every hour till ribs are done.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:36:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Grilling season?

Rain or shine, snow or sleet, we grill!
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:37:42 PM EDT
[#20]
this rub is what I have bought from costco and it is pretty damn good.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:26:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I shot a Kailua pig in hawaii. A local bradda-cuz cooked it in the ground on lava rocks and covered with babnana leaves.

FUCKING. AWESOME.

View Quote

Unless the pig was from Kailua, the finished product is kalua pig. And yes, it is FUCKING. AWESOME.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:41:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

WRONG!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WRONG!!!

Everyone has their own way, and I don't like ribs that are too soft and the meat can't hold on to the bones. It's a textural thing to me. And I stand behind my ribs, I've had on many occasions people ask me to make ribs for their events Bc it's the best they ever had. It's due to the sauce sticking on the rib. So to each his own, but I highly doubt I'm doing anything wrong.

Also when I smoke them, I'll go low and smoke them to temperature. Probably the "correct" way you speak of, but not everyone has time to spend cooking for hours upon hours daily. I grill or smoke foods 3-4 days a week and also have a restaurant, what's your credibility?!
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:45:59 AM EDT
[#23]
I get my ribs from Costco and smoke them with oak. I have some in the freezer, maybe I should do them up this weekend.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:51:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

WRONG!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WRONG!!!

Here's from the most recent time I made ribs which was a few weeks ago.

May not be up to your standards but out of 4 racks there was nothing left at the end of the night.

I also use about 4-6 different types of cheese on my baked macaroni and throw either lobster or crawfish in there. But I guess that's wrong too.

And I smoke my own boudin and salmon at home for appetizers
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:04:37 AM EDT
[#25]
I cant fully remember, but found some guys recipe online last year and smoked me some spare ribs for the first time last summer.

I think that I went something like

Peel the membrane off of the ribs, mustard then dry rub. Smoke for 3 hours, and every 45 min mist with apple juice.

Then after 3 hours, take off of smoker and wrap in foil with honey and brown sugar, put back on smoker for an hour and a half.

Once that's done, remove from foil, put on the BBQ sauce, and put back in the smoker for 30 minutes and they are done.

I did this last summer and they were amazing.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top