Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2015 5:52:54 PM EDT
Gizmodo

As key provisions of the Patriot Act are about to expire in June, Congress is in a big hurry to figure out how to reform surveillance. The House just overwhelmingly voted in favor of the USA Freedom Act, a bill that’ll limit NSA data collection.

Unfortunately, it may not be able to fix the United States’ broken surveillance apparatus.

What Is It?

The USA Freedom Act would prohibit using Section 215 to authorize the NSA’s bulk data collection program, as well as FISA’s pen/trap statute and national security letters. What that means is that if the bill passes, the NSA won’t be able to scoop up data en masse from telecom companies like it did before; instead, it would be required to request data using keywords. The act also declassifies big FISA court opinions.

Those are good things! And with its patriotic name engineered to garner bipartisan support, USA Freedom is getting pushed as a way to curb government oversteps, with support across the aisle and from big tech companies like Google and Facebook.

Unfortunately, the USA Freedom Act concedes far too much. It doesn’t touch the Drug Enforcement Agency’s surveillance programs. The transparency requirements are lax, so the government won’t have to say how many people it snooped on. It expands surveillance of foreign nationals coming in and out of the country, and increases penalties for people caught providing “material support” to terrorists.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:55:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Be worried when an act has snazzy words in it like "freedom". Usually means "bend over"
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:02:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Be worried when an act has snazzy words in it like "freedom". Usually means "bend over"
View Quote

I have found that most acts have an effect that is the exact opposite of what their name suggests.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:02:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I have found that most acts have an effect that is the exact opposite of what their name suggests.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yup, I dont see it getting any traction anyway.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:03:43 PM EDT
[#4]
How about just not re-authorize the Patriot Act, and quit making new laws we don't need.

Genius.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:09:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How about just not re-authorize the Patriot Act, and quit making new laws we don't need.

Genius.
View Quote

/thread
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:15:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote
This.

Just like the "patriot" act was very unpatriotic...I'm betting the "freedom" act will be very repressive, but we will have to pass it to see what's in it. Just like "net neutrality" was anything but neutral.

Seductive "feel good" labels is how they sell bad legislation to the low information/sports/celebrity idiots.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:32:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This.

Just like the "patriot" act was very unpatriotic...I'm betting the "freedom" act will be very repressive, but we will have to pass it to see what's in it. Just like "net neutrality" was anything but neutral.

Seductive "feel good" labels is how they sell bad legislation to the low information/sports/celebrity idiots.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

Ministry of Truth. Ministry of Love. Ministry of Peace.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:43:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Genius.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Genius.

Justin Amash posted this in the book of faces earlier.

The latest ?#?USAFreedomAct? does NOT end the government's unconstitutional bulk collection of private data on Americans. Congress should not mislead the public.

House leadership has no leverage to stop genuine surveillance reform. The ?#?PatriotAct?, which has been used to spy on all Americans, expires on June 1. There are not enough votes in Congress to reauthorize it.

Members of Congress who favor surveillance reform should quit the defeatism. The USA Freedom Act is not the best we can do. We have the American people on our side, and we have all the leverage.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:45:31 PM EDT
[#9]
How about scrapping it in its entirety?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:47:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Look what they did to the words affordable care.
Safe Act means disarming you so the criminal has a friendlier work environment.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How about scrapping it in its entirety?
View Quote

Repeal and......Replace.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:07:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't trust the slimy fuckwads from either party on this - especially not Jeb Bush or Boehner.

About the only person I might trust here would be Rand Paul.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:08:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don't trust the slimy fuckwads from either party on this - especially not Jeb Bush or Boehner.

About the only person I might trust here would be Rand Paul.
View Quote

You would be foolish too.  Remember all the promises Obama made to the left before he got into office?  Rand Paul would be no different with the promises he makes to the right.  At the end of the day in this country, money controls power and instability/freedom is bad for business.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:14:08 PM EDT
[#14]
"Freedom" act, huh?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:18:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

This
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:09:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
"Freedom" act, huh?
View Quote

Really sells it when they use patriotic words doesn't it?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top