Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2015 3:54:45 PM EDT
The dogs were barking this morning and they kept looking into the neighbors yard, through the chain link fence.

I had a feeling, either a snake or rabbit.  Turned out to be about a 4 ft black snake.

They were right at the back door barking and I went out to shush them and there it was, right on the threshold.  I slammed the door and it started climbing up on the dog door (clear rubber flap) trying to get in the kitchen.  I kicked the flap and eventually it started to move off.  I'm surprised at the reaction of the dogs, they were afraid of it.  I'm not sure where it went because it crawled to the corner of the house and disappeared.

Two years ago we had one come visit.  This one got in the kitchen  It was a warm spring morning, like today, the door was open and it got behind the stove.  When I saw it, it was on its way out the door thankfully.

I saw it a couple more times over the course of the next week and then gone.

I hate snakes but I won't kill a black snake, unless it persists in trying to get inside.

Question added:

I wasn't sure where the snake went, so I started poking around the corner of the house.  This is a room added many years ago and there is a void near the corner that I thought was just an overhang of the rock siding.  Turns out there is a hole that would be just right for the snake to crawl into.  I have no idea where it goes, how far in or if there is a void that the snake could turn around in.

I'd like to know the snake is not in there before I seal it up.

Does anyone know how I could flush the snake out, assuming he is in there?

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:09:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Let it come in.

If you have mice, it will eat them all, then leave when there are no more mice.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:13:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Gas plus a match.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:15:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Let it come in.

View Quote

Ummm, no

Also no for burning the house down

That's the last option

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:36:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A tiny bit of gasoline will flush the snake out of the hole if its in there, just a few drops will do it, squirt it in the hole, come back later and plug the hole. The fumes will run it out, so it doesn't take much.

A lot of the rattlesnake hunters use gas to flush snakes out of a hole.
View Quote

Gas....Ok thanks I'll try that

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:44:28 PM EDT
[#6]
This snake will not hurt you at all.
You see them everywhere around here, saw one climbing a fence while running this afternoon.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:47:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You see them everywhere around here, saw one climbing a fence while running this afternoon.
View Quote

Yeah I know, but I still don't want it in the house.

Imagine waking up cuddling a snake.  My wife would kill it, me and at least two dogs before she stopped

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:48:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Paint thinner also works for flushing out evil serpents
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:48:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Saw this guy's cousin on the road this am- twice as long. Shooed him off the road.
Still wouldn't want 'em crawling around the house.

Edit: After watching again, maybe a third more- they always look bigger when they're in your face.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A tiny bit of gasoline will flush the snake out of the hole if its in there, just a few drops will do it, squirt it in the hole, come back later and plug the hole. The fumes will run it out, so it doesn't take much.

I've also heard that a small bit of gas works.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:53:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Saw this guy's cousin on the road this am- twice as long. Shooed him off the road.

Edit: After watching again, maybe a third more- they always look bigger when they're in your face.

http://youtu.be/-qeWirf3QNM
View Quote

Cool.  Those Bull Snakes can grow to some pretty shocking sizes.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:54:14 PM EDT
[#12]
We had a black snake under our cabin last year. My dog did not like it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:03:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Yesterday, I nearly executed what looked to be a copperhead.

Upon closer inspection it turned to be a harmless, yet very angry, water snake

That mimicry almost backfired on him  

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:10:31 PM EDT
[#14]
We used to have a mouse problem at the shop. Then I saw a black snake one day when I went out back to drain the air compressor. Huh, no more mice, high 5 Mister Snake.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:13:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:14:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Caught my first of the year last weekend raking leaves. Lil brown snake. Safely relesed under the shed.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:19:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

HazMAt situations are always the right answer!
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:23:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He could toss a match in too...
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:29:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/-qeWirf3QNM

Seen some big bastards up here too.  Cantankerous as all get out.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:46:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Black snakes are mostly harmless and do a lot of good.  That being said, they should either be relocated or killed if relocation is not an option.  They can spread some nasty infections if they bite your dogs in a confrontation.  At least the ones I have encountered were not terribly aggressive once caught, but they can put up a big defensive show when approached.  

If you have a persistent black snake problem in warm weather, chances are that you have a much larger rodent problem.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:58:50 PM EDT
[#21]
We don't have any snakes or turtles.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:58:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Or any restraint on pounding the mouse button.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:17:42 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Imagine waking up cuddling a snake.  My wife would kill it, me and at least two dogs before she stopped

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I keep snakes, I HAVE woken up with a small python in the bed, or moving nearby :-)  New wife does NOT approve, daughter has already been told that when she moves out, she's taking the snake with her.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:30:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Ummm, no

That's the last option

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let it come in.

Ummm, no

That's the last option

The snake is there because it has a food source.  Eliminate the food source and the snake will move on to greener pastures.  Or, let the snake do it's job and eliminate the food source for you and then it'll move on.  Trust me, a black rat snake is harmless.  Rodents however can kill you.  

A black rat snake bite is a bit painful, but that is it.  Just wash it out with soap and water and move on.  No big deal.  Respect it and leave it alone.  If it comes in the house, you can use a stick to support the front end and gently take it by the back end (don't grab the last few inches as that is the snakes tail and they get pretty defensive about protecting their tails) and take it outside.  Or, gently sweep it into a bucket and take it outside.  

They tame down quite well and are very curious.  I have a big female that winters under my chest freezer in the garage every year.  No big deal...  Learn about snakes and you'll find that they aren't scary, they're really cool animals.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:36:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I keep snakes, I HAVE woken up with a small python in the bed, or moving nearby :-)  New wife does NOT approve, daughter has already been told that when she moves out, she's taking the snake with her.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've fallen asleep with a snake curled up on my chest under my shirt.  I'm still amazed she didn't wander off.  But frankly, it wouldn't bother me at all to wake up cuddled with a snake.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:22:28 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I've fallen asleep with a snake curled up on my chest under my shirt.  I'm still amazed she didn't wander off.  But frankly, it wouldn't bother me at all to wake up cuddled with a snake.  

http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr136/efillc/Snakes/Retics/Chaos/5W2A2635%20edit%201_zpslfqyx8lo.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr136/efillc/Snakes/Retics/Chaos/5W2A2635%20edit%201_zpslfqyx8lo.jpg

Oh, the current snake used to be my brother's before he was stationed in Germany, he gave her to me while we were staying at our grandmother's house, who also does not like snakes.  Easiest solution for keeping the snake warm and safe was to tie her in a pillow case and have her in bed with me (again, before meeting my wife).

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 7:59:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Oh, the current snake used to be my brother's before he was stationed in Germany, he gave her to me while we were staying at our grandmother's house, who also does not like snakes.  Easiest solution for keeping the snake warm and safe was to tie her in a pillow case and have her in bed with me (again, before meeting my wife).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL... that's awesome.  I was keeping a boa warm under my zip up hoodie when I just nodded off.  Woke up about an hour later and she was still there peeking out looking at me.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top