Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/30/2015 3:43:52 PM EDT
If you are rushing to the hospital to save a loved one, and are detained by police for speeding and that detainment risks the life of your loved one, are you justified in fleeing? In similar stories below, one man was shot by police and another died. One cop asked for written proof of the wife's breast cancer while he detained them for a speeding ticket as the wife suffered severe chest pains from blood clots in her lungs. Another man died on the side of the road from an asthma attack because the cop wouldn't let them drive to the hospital (they were 3 miles from hospital). If you try to flee like the Marine below, you risk the cop jumping in front of your car to stop you, and then doing a mag dump on you claiming you used your car as a weapon. It seems there is no winning in a case like this.

Camp Lejeune Marine Shot by Police While Rushing Wife to Hospital.
http://woundedtimes.blogspot.com/2014/11/camp-lejeune-marine-shot-by-police.html

Man Dies During Traffic Stop From Asthma Attack as Cop Refuses to Let them Drive to Hospital
http://thefreethoughtproject.com/man-dies-traffic-stop-asthma-attack-cop-refuses-drive-hospital/

Man said he was trying to take his wife, Roxanna, who has stage 4 breast cancer, to the hospital because she was having severe chest pains. Detained for 15 minutes by cop for speeding
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/man-stopped-police-while-rushing-wife-hospital/nFJjn/

Man Rushing to Wife In Labor Says Cop Pulled Gun on Him During Traffic Stop
http://abcnews.go.com/US/dad-police-officer-pulled-gun-traffic-stop/story?id=27647407

Pregnant Woman in Labor Forced to Ground Held at Gunpoint By Cops for Speeding to Hospital
http://thefreethoughtproject.com/police-set-tire-spikes-stop-woman-labor-speeding-hold-gunpoint/

Man charged with 7 felonies for rushing his wife to hospital, who just had a stroke,
http://newsroom.blogs.cnn.com/2010/06/22/cop-arrest-man-man-was-rushing-wife-to-er/
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:44:50 PM EDT
[#1]
You can always call 911 on the way if a cop is behind you. I'm not stopping if it's that life threatening.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:46:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Justified or not - yer gonna end up with a pile of fellows on you when you reach your destination...
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:51:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You can always call 911 on the way if a cop is behind you. I'm not stopping if it's that life threatening.

View Quote

This, or just let him follow you to the hospital.

I'd be more than willing to get arrested and go in front of a judge and explain that one, if it meant saving a loved one's life.

Speed

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:53:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'd be more than willing to get arrested and go in front of a judge and explain that one, if it meant saving a loved one's life.

Speed

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speed

Remember that video of the guy dying of a heart attack, getting to the hospital, only to have the LEO hold him at gun point and beating his wife.  Neither the husband or wife respected his authority.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:54:26 PM EDT
[#5]
In before the "you stop when and where I tell you to stop" gestapo
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:56:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Remember that video of the guy dying of a heart attack, getting to the hospital, only to have the LEO hold him at gun point and beating his wife.  Neither the husband or wife respected his authority.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Speed

I've had run ins with insane cops (like, actual mental health disorders), but...I thinks that's more of the exception and not the norm

I'd have to take the chance if it was a life or death situation. Besides, if I made it to the ER and the cop beat the fuck out of me...I'd already be at the hospital!

Speed

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:57:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:59:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:59:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, but we've been trained to believe that we deserve jail or death if we do.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:59:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Look, the only reason I stop now is because I'm a good person. In reality there is fuck all that they can do if a loved one is dying on me. Cause I aint stopping and they can meet me at the hospital.

My slowest vehicle is still faster than their quickest one

The fact that I will have East Bound and Down blaring is completely inconsequential
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:00:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Do you even read the articles you posted?

First one admitted they intentionally ran from the cops and tried to run an officer down.

Second one the GF could not safely operate the vehicle she was freaking out so bad.

The third one the driver refused to sign the speeding ticket citation that is why the stop lasted so long.

The fourth one he refused to stop for the cops driving to his house not to the hospital.

View Quote

That's your version of events, which we know is nearly always distorted to favor your agenda.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:01:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:02:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

It seems like a pretty unusual situation where blasting your way through police roadblocks is faster than calling 911 and letting the firemen spin their lights and rush to the hospital.
View Quote

Who said anything about police roadblocks? Depending on the situation, the person might get treatment faster by getting in the car and head down to the hospital vs waiting on them to come to you and then head back. I'd say this is especially the case in rural areas.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:04:01 PM EDT
[#14]
If it's 1950 in Mississippi and you're black, then yes, you are justified in running like hell.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:04:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:07:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:08:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm armed and law-abiding, therefore, I really have no use for cops. If I need one, I'll call one.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:12:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I can't think of any time its ok to run from the cops.   I'm a bit fuzzier on just not stopping till you get to your destination.  

The one time I had to get someone to the hospital quickly, I didn't get stopped and the cop who did show up ran interference for me at intersections.   I was on the phone with 911 at the time. I think the vast majority of cops would have done the same.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:14:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

First one admitted they intentionally ran from the cops and tried to run an officer down.

Second one the GF could not safely operate the vehicle she was freaking out so bad.

The third one the driver refused to sign the speeding ticket citation that is why the stop lasted so long.

The fourth one he refused to stop for the cops driving to his house not to the hospital.

View Quote

Sorry, but reading the facts and making an informed decision based on those facts is not how's it's done in GD.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:16:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Uhh it's in the articles.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's your version of events, which we know is nearly always distorted to favor your agenda.

Please stop interfering with his agenda.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:16:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you are rushing to the hospital to save a loved one, and are detained by police for speeding and that detainment risks the life of your loved one, are you justified in fleeing? In similar stories below, one man was shot by police and another died. One cop asked for written proof of the wife's breast cancer while he detained them for a speeding ticket while the wife suffered chest pains from blood clots in her lungs. Another man died on the side of the road from an asthma attack because the cop wouldn't let them drive to the hospital (they were 3 miles from hospital). If you try to flee like the Marine below, you risk the cop jumping in front of your car to stop you, and then doing a mag dump on you claiming you used your car as a weapon. It seems there is no winning in a case like this.

http://woundedtimes.blogspot.com/2014/11/camp-lejeune-marine-shot-by-police.html

Man Dies During Traffic Stop From Asthma Attack as Cop Refuses to Let them Drive to Hospital
http://thefreethoughtproject.com/man-dies-traffic-stop-asthma-attack-cop-refuses-drive-hospital/

Man said he was trying to take his wife, Roxanna, who has stage 4 breast cancer, to the hospital because she was having severe chest pains. Detained for 15 minutes by cop for speeding
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/man-stopped-police-while-rushing-wife-hospital/nFJjn/

http://abcnews.go.com/US/dad-police-officer-pulled-gun-traffic-stop/story?id=27647407

View Quote

3 of your 4 are tough shit situations. The guy who was having an asthma attack - I hope that cop finds karma unkind.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:16:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Who said anything about police roadblocks? Depending on the situation, the person might get treatment faster by getting in the car and head down to the hospital vs waiting on them to come to you and then head back. I'd say this is especially the case in rural areas.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It seems like a pretty unusual situation where blasting your way through police roadblocks is faster than calling 911 and letting the firemen spin their lights and rush to the hospital.

Except you will receive emergency care when they arrive and during transit. Plus you hardly ever get shot by cops while riding in the back of an ambulance.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:17:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree with you except for this one. Watch the video. She's not exactly hysterical.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:18:02 PM EDT
[#24]
If I was rushing someone to the hospital, Id be calling 911 ahead of time, give warning to the ER and the LEO in the area, so maybe they could help and they would know its not someone that just committed a crime, etc.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:19:14 PM EDT
[#25]
If I had a loved one in a life or death situation I wouldn't stop for them.

What happens after happens
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:19:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

. Plus you hardly ever get shot by cops while riding in the back of an ambulance.
View Quote

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=cop+pulls+over+ambulance

You may not get shot but the driver might get choked.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:22:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Just stop, explain whats going on.  Be civil
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:26:49 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Except you will receive emergency care when they arrive and during transit. Plus you hardly ever get shot by cops while riding in the back of an ambulance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Emergency Health service response REALLY depends on the locality...

The responders in my parent's county are 100% volunteer, keep the response vehicles at there house (no station), and the average response time is 30 minutes.  Compare that with the fact my parents live 20 minutes from the nearest hospital...

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:34:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Run from The Police?  Absolutely!  Especially when they start that screeching "Roxanne" crap!  Somebody should have ripped out his throat back in the '80's.

Of course if I must disobey a cop's light and direction to pull over, it's because the situation demanded it (life threatening if I did not take the action).  Flashers on, sane speed, and on the phone to 911.  BTW, I live within 2 miles of the hospital, but the ambulance service is based out of the north side of town - 6 miles through city traffic.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:34:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:39:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are not fooling anyone. You are the one that needs to read the articles. You should take some reading comprehension classes too.

1. "Henry says her husband was only trying to go around the policeman when the officer opened fire."
2. "However, she was only hysterical because her boyfriend was dying and being kept from life saving treatment that could have saved his life." [turns out she was right, because he died]
3. "He said the officer took about 15 minutes and gave him a citation." "I said 'Sir, I don't want to sign it. I just want to leave and go to the hospital.' He said, 'If you don't sign it I'm going to take you to jail,’” said White.
4. So what??? The guy was 7/10th of a mile from his house and he was rushing there because his wife was in labor and needed to get to the hospital.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:39:32 PM EDT
[#32]
I have been told by local cops that if I am rushing someone to the ER they wouldn't care. That being said, the nearest fire station is 10 min away with a 15-20 min response time. The nearest Hospital is 30 min away, and when my mother had an extremely severe allergic reaction to fish I was able to get her there in under 10 min. The docs said another 5-10 min she would have been worm food.

That being said I am a rather proficient driver, and have a car made to go fast. had it been less serious I would have just called 911.

ETA: I would also get a cop dog pile and ensure my loved ones are safe, than risk their lives to mind a cops EGO. Fortunately the cops here are generally cool about things, and cant keep up with me
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:42:13 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
3 of your 4 are tough shit situations. The guy who was having an asthma attack - I hope that cop finds karma unkind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you are rushing to the hospital to save a loved one, and are detained by police for speeding and that detainment risks the life of your loved one, are you justified in fleeing? In similar stories below, one man was shot by police and another died. One cop asked for written proof of the wife's breast cancer while he detained them for a speeding ticket while the wife suffered chest pains from blood clots in her lungs. Another man died on the side of the road from an asthma attack because the cop wouldn't let them drive to the hospital (they were 3 miles from hospital). If you try to flee like the Marine below, you risk the cop jumping in front of your car to stop you, and then doing a mag dump on you claiming you used your car as a weapon. It seems there is no winning in a case like this.

I agree.  Fuck that guy!

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:44:08 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm pretty sure 1st step in the process is call 911.

Then you need to make the call on whether you can get to the hospital quicker then the ambulance/EMT's can get to you.

I had a coworker start showing signs of a heart attack at work 30 miles from the nearest hospital.  One of the other guys loaded him in his truck and started towards the hospital while on the phone with 911.  They sent an ambulance and met him halfway, no cops were ever involved, and the guy lived after heart surgery.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:45:16 PM EDT
[#35]
This could be a 12 beer thread.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:49:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:33:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Of course.  As long as you can get away
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:36:24 PM EDT
[#38]

I could actually hear it.

Alllahhh ackbbarrrrrr
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:36:26 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yep.

I don't understand why this is so hard.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:37:47 PM EDT
[#40]
As a kid we ran from the cops all the time. TP a house run! Throw eggs at cars run! Nowadays seems like you get your ass shot for doing stupid shit that kids do.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:39:19 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I'm pretty sure 1st step in the process is call 911.

Then you need to make the call on whether you can get to the hospital quicker then the ambulance/EMT's can get to you.

I had a coworker start showing signs of a heart attack at work 30 miles from the nearest hospital.  One of the other guys loaded him in his truck and started towards the hospital while on the phone with 911.  They sent an ambulance and met him halfway, no cops were ever involved, and the guy lived after heart surgery.

View Quote
Amazing isn't it? How a little brain power can get you a long way.

Sometimes I think people lose their fucking decision making ability in proximity to LE.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:40:27 PM EDT
[#42]
I can point to nine people that have died rushing someone to the hospital.  One case was a triple fatality.  (one-ton Chevy Vs Toyota Corolla. )  

You are not the hot-shit rally driver you think you are.

Go right ahead and try it, It's just more OT for whoever is doing the crash investigation.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:43:25 PM EDT
[#43]

LOL
Man you always bring the best IN memes
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:47:36 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The difference being that care can be started when they get to you and can continue on the ride back. Unless you are real close and it's real serious, you're better off waiting for the pros.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:54:52 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote
I was just going to say this.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:55:43 PM EDT
[#47]

what the fuck lol
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:56:13 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ibtss
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:58:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No you have an agenda, OK?

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:01:40 PM EDT
[#50]
I've been stopped many times enroute to the hospital
I always stop. Sometimes I'm polite, sometimes I'm manipulative-depends on why I'm in such a hurry

For instance, once I was enroute to deliver a baby. Pulled over by a noobie, fresh out of academy flatfoot. He wished to demonstrate his authority by not immediately letting me be on my way. UNTIL I asked him his name. His response, "Why, are you going to file a complaint against me?" I told him no, that I merely wanted to have a name to communicate to the expectant mom and dad, so they would know who to complain about because I missed being at the hospital to deliver the baby.

Another time, I was enroute to see a patient who was seizing uncontrollably. I saw the cop way down the road, so I stepped up my speed "a little". I thought he going to crash trying to get turned around to stop me. I pulled over. He came waddling up, (literally), and was PISSED. He asked if I knew how fast I was going. I said I had a general idea. (About 82, in a 35, for those interested. In a Porsche 968. Cabriolet). I guess the dispatcher told him who I was because he was in turbo-waddle when he returned to my car. He screamed, "are you the doctor?". I said yes. He threw my DL and CHL in the car and yelled, "Go, go, get out of here!" I vapor locked and had trouble seeing to get to the hospital because I was laughing so hard.

BUT, I ALWAYS STOP
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top