Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2015 3:20:18 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:22:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting how the market ignores bad news most of the time.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Overreaction to latest GDP numbers

I hope
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:26:54 PM EDT
[#3]
It goes up, it goes down. If you can't stomach the losses in the short term, you shouldn't be in the market.

For the past 20 YEARS, I've averaged 10% annual returns. I'm excruciatingly diversified.

Am I worried about today: not in the least.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:27:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Bush's fault
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:36:15 PM EDT
[#5]
So what should we buy?

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:36:16 PM EDT
[#6]
My oil stock jumped 2.75% and the earnings report comes out next, which I think will be positive. I'm looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:43:42 PM EDT
[#7]
down today, up tomorrow, who knows where it will go other than up in the long term.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:46:17 PM EDT
[#8]
ZOMG %2 off of all time highs. Everyone panic.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:52:07 PM EDT
[#9]
My Orange shares (formerly France Telecom) are up 1.52% today.  But yeah, today's generally a down day.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:02:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Since when did a few percent drop in the stock market become a "hammering" or plummeting or whatever term you want for a scary crisis? It reminds me of living in SoCal when one of the few rain storms per year would blow in off the coast and drop 0.25" of rain. All the local weather people would be outside in a raincoat with an umbrella hyping up StormWatch 2010 or StormWatch 2014 like it was going to be 40 days and 40 nights of torrential monsoon downpours. Dunno, maybe just something to all this Wall Street voodoo I'm not privy to where a 1% shift in the DOW really is scary. Doubt it though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:05:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Since when did a few percent drop in the stock market become a "hammering" or plummeting or whatever term you want for a scary crisis? It reminds me of living in SoCal when one of the few rain storms per year would blow in off the coast and drop 0.25" of rain. All the local weather people would be outside in a raincoat with an umbrella hyping up StormWatch 2010 or StormWatch 2014 like it was going to be 40 days and 40 nights of torrential monsoon downpours. Dunno, maybe just something to all this Wall Street voodoo I'm not privy to where a 1% shift in the DOW really is scary. Doubt it though.
View Quote

Every time the market goes down a couple percent we have one of these thread in GD.  People pop Pmags then the marked recovers.  Seriously there must be some very worn Pmag covers out there.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:13:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Every time the market goes down a couple percent we have one of these thread in GD.  People pop Pmags then the marked recovers.  Seriously there must be some very worn Pmag covers out there.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Some of us here don't work for the government.  We have investments in the stock market.  

A 2% drop per day will affect us more than the threads about Japanese game shows or Popeye's chicken.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:16:00 PM EDT
[#13]
It's gone down ever since I signed up for a god damn roth IRA last week.

Sorry guys I am just bad luck.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:22:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not to mention have you ever noticed that it seems to take the biggest shits on the day you get paid like in today?
The 17% that came out of my check today got evaporated.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:25:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Story of my investment life.

Newly married Flcroc and wife go to see manager, set up Roths, write check in the amount of two (2) Roth max contributions for 1999.
Next year:
Spend a few years getting back to break even.

I have to look long term, otherwise I lose like a MFer.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:29:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Some of us here don't work for the government.  We have investments in the stock market.  
A 2% drop per day will affect us more than the threads about Japanese game shows or Popeye's chicken.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How did a 2% drop affect you today?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:31:07 PM EDT
[#17]

I am betting it will gap up and recover a significant part of the loss tomorrow. Does look to be in a short-term downtrend though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:33:07 PM EDT
[#18]
UGAZ is up about 30% this week.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:33:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Get back to me when it drops 10% in a day

Nothing is going to happen. There will be no more market crashes. We are living in a new paradigm. People all over the world are putting their money into US equities.

Where else are you going to put money to earn a return? A savings account with .0005% interest?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:33:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My net worth went down by around 0.4% from today's drop.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:36:09 PM EDT
[#21]
STock market is down, time to sell...
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:38:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
STock market is down, time to sell...
View Quote

Sell low, buy high. The retail "investors" strategy.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:38:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again, how did that affect you?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:43:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Interesting how the market ignores bad news most of the time.
View Quote

Bad news has been good because of the fed and rates
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:49:03 PM EDT
[#25]
I love how people focus on one leaf on one branch on one tree and miss the entire forest when it comes to the stock market.

I have investments. They have good days, they have bad days, but they grow. I have 30-40 years. I am not getting caught up on one day.

ETA: Unless the market crashes hard and I have some cash to gobble up some cheap stocks.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:55:25 PM EDT
[#26]
So?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:57:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Dow & S&P are down 1.3%.  Interesting times.  
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/shares-fall-weak-results-dollar-184002334.html
View Quote

Lies.

This is going to be another Summer Of Recovery. Little green shoots. Shovel-ready jobs.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:04:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Op is lying.  I went all cash two days ago and the market always breaks out to the up side when I do that.  So....

TC
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:13:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote
one week of decline is nothing, give it a year or two and see where the market is

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:29:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Newly married Flcroc and wife go to see manager, set up Roths, write check in the amount of two (2) Roth max contributions for 1999.
Next year:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Next year:

Yeah, but if you kept buying every month you'd be way ahead.  Investing for long term growth is not a one and done thing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top