Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2015 2:04:14 PM EDT
I'm looking for opinions on their 1911's. I'm juggling getting one or an FN 45 Tac for my next gun purchase. If I get it I want to put stag grips on it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:08:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Special Forces. It's a very fine 1911. I was just handling it earlier actually, comparing it with my Kimber. No contest, Ed's better in every way.

I think now you can pay Ed an extra couple hundred bucks and get a second, threaded, barrel for it if you ever go suppressed.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:08:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Had one, let it go.

Nice gun but they're no Wilson Combat and they're sure as hell no Nighthawk Custom.

They're kind of the bottom of the top end pistols.

Just one person's opinion.  Ymmv,  of course. Still head and shoulders over Kimber

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Had one, let it go.

Nice gun but they're no Wilson Combat and they're sure as hell no Nighthawk Custom.

View Quote

How would you say the wilson and nighthawk compare to it in terms of fit and finish? I'm wanting to go for an old school stylized 1911 so the engraved version really caught my eye.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:12:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Had one, let it go.

Just one person's opinion.  Ymmv,  of course. Still head and shoulders over Kimber

View Quote

Hmmm... really? I had always thought that that the Brown pistols were at least as good as Wilson (just based on what I read when I was a hardcore 1911 guy years ago). What about Baer pistols? Where do they rate in the scheme of 1911s?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:12:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Nighthawk by far. They're what Wilson was back when Bill Still gave a damn.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:13:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Is Nighthawk still having all the fitment issues they were before?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:14:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Again I'm not looking for tactical. The FN 45 will be my tactical handgun go to but I want a 1911 for fun and I'll admit looks as well.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:14:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Special Forces with rail. I run it suppressed and it has been a joy. Now, I just picked up my Professional and I might not be using it as much.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:15:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I used to sell 1911's from Wilson, Nighthawk, and Ed Brown.

With my money, I'd buy the Brown.  Every time.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:16:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I liked mine. Only gun I let go that I regret.

My Professional was built much tighter in respects to barrel fit.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:16:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine is beautifully machined and very accurate.  Having owned a metric buttload of 1911s, I would say the Brown represents a good value for the money.  I would buy another one if I ran across one I liked.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:21:18 PM EDT
[#12]

For the dough, you cant beat a Springfield Professional. If you absolutely want one with engraving...there are people who will do that.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:40:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Again I'm not looking for tactical. The FN 45 will be my tactical handgun go to but I want a 1911 for fun and I'll admit looks as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've always lusted after the Ed Brown Cobra Carry...

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:44:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got a Special Forces carry and love it.

Fit and finish are on par with my Wilson CQB, and FAR above my Kimber.

I've never had a malfunction of any type with it or my Wilson. I actually ordered it so I could get it the way I wanted it, and was not disappointed at all. I had my Wilson first, and the Brown did not disappoint me in the least.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:46:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought a EB Special Forces.
I loved it! Shot the crap out of it and carried it every day for years.

I traded it off for what I paid for it. They sold the trades for way more.

My next one will probably be a Cobra Carry.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:00:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got a EB Molon Labe and a LB TRS. I bought Dad a CQB when he retired.

We've run at least four thousand rounds each through all three and I can't remember a issue with either
that wasn't mag or ammo related.

All three outshoot me (not saying much).

Les has a different build principle (hand fit every part) and took about 300 rounds to be able to press check
and the trigger to smooth out (the fucker was TIGHT out of the box). I've since had some work done to my TRS.
I had it refinished in matte Ion Bond. Flush crown barrell, SA magwell, counter sunk slide stop,  10-8 rear sight, and spare extractors fp stop, and slide stops.

Wilson or Brown has more options and they are more refined out of the box. The Brown was very pretty, the Wilson was beautiful (no tool marks anywhere)

It all depends on what you want in a 1911 and how much you want to spend. Figure 2K for a Baer, 2.5K for a Brown, and 2.9K for a Wilson.

Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:15:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I've got examples of all the major custom / semi custom 1911 builders.  I like the Ed Brown's personally.  They may not have some of the fancy features that nighthawk and wilson offer, but they produce a solid 1911 that runs great.  If you're looking for lots of cosmetic enhancement, look elsewhere.  I'd buy another without hesitation.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:26:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Wilson all the way. Here is my cqb elite with Dawson rail and SF x300

Wish I could carry it more with my blown out back, the weight between that and my glock 17 makes a difference at the end of the day.

Brown makes great guns but I have heard many of them rattle like an old warhorse. That said I have never seen one choke and have shot a few.

My Wilson is just put together right. I had an issue with the front sight shooting loose and they immediately sent a return ticket and had it back in a week with a couple of mags for my trouble. Their CS is top notch. You might pay a grand more but once the sticker shock wears off, you won't regret it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:29:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh225/slebherz1/image_3.jpg

Wish I could carry it more with my blown out back, the weight between that and my glock 17 makes a difference at the end of the day.

Brown makes great guns but I have heard many of them rattle like an old warhorse. That said I have never seen one choke and have shot a few.

My Wilson is just put together right. I had an issue with the front sight shooting loose and they immediately sent a return ticket and had it back in a week with a couple of mags for my trouble. Their CS is top notch. You might pay a grand more but once the sticker shock wears off, you won't regret it.
View Quote

Good looking blaster! I had a Dawson rail installed on my EBSF. Nice, clean little system.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:46:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Good looking blaster! I had a Dawson rail installed on my EBSF. Nice, clean little system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank a lot!  I am wishing now that I wouldn't have installed it. I am missing the clean lines on a stock 1911. Might just have to take it off and roll with a few holes. Grass is greener and all. I HAD to have it at the time. Guns are an expensive, fleeting and fickle bitch. What I have to have one minute, a few weeks later I ask myself why I bought it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:50:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have a Special Forces. It's a very fine 1911. Ed's better in every way.

I think now you can pay Ed an extra couple hundred bucks and get a second, threaded, barrel for it if you ever go suppressed.
View Quote

this. I love mine. I have had it for 6 years now and I have had zero issues
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:53:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Here's my Classic Custom.

It's been absolute perfection.  

It's funny, Ed Brown provides small parts, frames and slides to many of the manufacturers that people claim are better than Ed Brown.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:57:22 PM EDT
[#23]
I got a kobra karry .pride of my safe.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:07:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Thank a lot!  I am wishing now that I wouldn't have installed it. I am missing the clean lines on a stock 1911. Might just have to take it off and roll with a few holes. Grass is greener and all. I HAD to have it at the time. Guns are an expensive, fleeting and fickle bitch. What I have to have one minute, a few weeks later I ask myself why I bought it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never looked back. In fact I had a Novak (I think, it's been a while) Pic rail installed on the Kimber and I compare the two... It's ugly. The Dawson is such a nice simple little thing that actually works with the beautiful curves of a 1911. The Kimber is a Kimber - it's okay. I had it 'smithed with some great checkering and whatnot, but the fact remains, it'd need a **really** nice trigger job to come close to the stock Brown trigger.

Love 'em both, but don't beat yourself up for that light rail - I love having the light on the gun, and the Dawson is a great way to have it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Weaponseducation guy on utube assured me a few years ago, that Ed Brown would be broke and unpopular by now.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:22:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Here's my Classic Custom.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/robertlee3rd/679BF2AA-DE7A-4478-B6FF-41D905CC2C16.jpg

It's been absolute perfection.  

It's funny, Ed Brown provides small parts, frames and slides to many of the manufacturers that people claim are better than Ed Brown.
View Quote

That's a beautiful pistol you have here.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:24:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is funny and you are correct.

I am a big Les Baer and Ed Brown fan.  I have a Nighthawk and a Les Baer and have shot Wilsons and Browns.

The Brown Executive Elite that I shot was the nicest pistol, let alone 1911, I have ever fired.

Someday I will own a tu-tone Custom Classic.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:26:08 PM EDT
[#28]
I had one, to me it just didn't have the "feel" of a Nighthawk. It's not something I can explain. I traded it for Gen 3 NODs.
If I had a chance I'd get another one, this time a bobtail.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:14:23 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a kobra government made in October of last year. Fit and finish us great and it shoots one hole In the bulls eye. Never had a malfunction the only thing in not crazy about is the gen4 finish
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top