Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2015 11:20:10 AM EDT
So this winter after a heavy snow, I had a mishap backing into my garage. The snow plow guy couldn't get too close to the entry way, so a "hump" had started to form, and I got hung up half way in. Once I started spinning, I slid all the way over until my door was right up against the vinyl trim piece on the opening. By the time I eventually worked myself out, the vinyl trim strip smeared onto the side of my car in the two areas it came into contact. Now that winter is over, I want to see about getting it taken care of. I am hoping there is no damage underneath, and the vinyl will "peel off". (I was able to get some of the bigger pieces off with my finger nail). Is there any kind of cleaner or solvent that I could try that would not damage the clear coat? A quick google search even suggests acetone, so I have no clue...
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:22:33 AM EDT
[#1]
It happens to my boat all the time.

Acetone or gasoline on a rag will get rid of most of the difficult marks.
Diesel also works but not as well ime
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:26:02 AM EDT
[#2]
What I use in this order.

Cleanner wax
Polishing compound
Lacquer Thinner
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:30:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:34:53 AM EDT
[#4]
try acetone, brakecleaner, wd-40, gasoline, diesel, or reducer or thinner on a rag and a few quick wipes..if you pour it on or soak a rag and saturate the surface you could have it bite the paint, but thats doubtful..if your worried try it in a hidden spot(inside trunk lid or under side of hood to make sure it doesn't bite the paint first..shouldnt take much..
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:14:31 PM EDT
[#5]
WD40, Kroil, PB Blaster, or Liquid Wrench penetrants are where I would start. Acetone would fuck shit up.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:51:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Stop   . jack the car. move it over.  un jack the car........ no trim work needed in the spring
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:52:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stop   . jack the car. move it over.  un jack the car........ no trim work needed in the spring
View Quote

Stop with that nonesense
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top